Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:28 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yes. Worse than that bad.

It’s a dump for everything that’s wrong about this country. Uneducated, unhealthy, proudly retrograde, with a history that reads like a novel about Nazi era Germany.

The only good thing that ever came outta Mississippi is the Blues..and even that was born out of unspeakable misery, death and oppression.
Come on now Desert, give Mississippi a little more credit. Check out this link of all the wonderful things about Mississippi.

9 Things That Mississippi Is The Best At
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 05:01 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its basically a third world country.
Not even close. Mississippi is not poor even by European standards.

There are no poor states in the U.S., although some people think it's relative.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The key word is specialty. I don't have a problem with specialty "In God We Trust" license plates but it shouldn't be on the standard issue plate. Requiring people to pay more for a specialty plate that does NOT have it is discrimination against non-Christians.

Actually the key thing to remember here is its on our money. That is also mandatory. I don't think either one is ok but I am not going to call out Mississippi and ignore our money which has the same slogan.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
So I assume you have to pay extra for a vanity plate in order to avoid being a forced government billboard for a repressive myth?
In God We Trust has been in SC, to my knowledge, one of the "de facto" plates received since 2008. Not everyone in the state is Christian. Yet, plates handed out at the DMV had that on there. There is a "In Reason we Trust" plate that is handed out by the DMV from the Secular Humanists. However, SC made you jump through hoops to get it.

On paper, in order to get certain vanity plates in the state, you have to show membership in that society. For example: if you want a fraternity/sorority plate, you need to show membership. If you want an Eagle Scout plate, you need to prove you an Eagle Scout - same with the Free Masons or Rotary International - etc.

However, for some of those plates, they just look the other way about membership. They didn't bother checking. But for the Secular Humanists plate, they demanded you show you are a member. Yet, the Secular Humanists did not actually have a "membership card" and they flat out stated "we don't require membership in order to SC drivers to obtain this plate." It took a while, but eventually the SCDMV gave out the plate, no questions asked.

Jump through hoops for Secular Humanists - but if you want a nice In God we Trust plate - you'd get it with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by dspguy; 05-14-2018 at 06:50 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM

25,571 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well, for one thing, both Islam and Judaism and Christianity actually share the same God. The God of Abraham. Of course, there are major differences between the three religions, but the God is one and the same. Second of all, the word "God" is fairly ubiquitous, so there is no reason anyone should feel the need to attach one certain religion to the God mentioned on the license plate. "In God We Trust" can cover any religion or practice, be it Christianity, Wicca, or Satanism. Whatever deity you choose to believe in is covered by this phrase. There is no real reason to assign this phrase to any one religion. Of course, there are those who do not believe in God. Not really sure how to make them happy with the situation.
Seems to me that some people feel threatened by the fact that others believe in God. I speak as a non Christian and a resident of the state in question.

There are plenty of things in the world I don't understand. I have no idea(!) how it came about that the bug crawling around in my water garden knew he should climb out of the water one day, dry himself off, and become a dragonfly. So, even though I do not have Christian (or any other organized religion) beliefs, I have to shrug it off and say "God".

There are people who cannot do that. The mere suggestion that group A subscribes to a belief system that escapes group B seems to be enough to trigger person C, who has no vested interest in the argument. Go figure

Dichotomous thinkers create their own hell. There can be no middle ground for those people. They indict by zip code or geographic boundaries or accents, and declare that everyone within this boundary must be at odds with everyone within some other boundary. To them, someone who believes in God must be inherently inferior to someone who does not.
They are a strange group.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Well, for one thing, both Islam and Judaism and Christianity actually share the same God. The God of Abraham. Of course, there are major differences between the three religions, but the God is one and the same. Second of all, the word "God" is fairly ubiquitous, so there is no reason anyone should feel the need to attach one certain religion to the God mentioned on the license plate. "In God We Trust" can cover any religion or practice, be it Christianity, Wicca, or Satanism. Whatever deity you choose to believe in is covered by this phrase. There is no real reason to assign this phrase to any one religion. Of course, there are those who do not believe in God. Not really sure how to make them happy with the situation.
So maybe the motto should be "In a God we trust".

Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Good. Let them advertise their ignorance.

The smart people (and good paying jobs) will flee even faster.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Didn't Merle Haggard write a song about Mississippi? Hippie from Mississippi? Or was that Gypsy from Poughkeepsie? Never mind.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Seems to me that some people feel threatened by the fact that others believe in God. I speak as a non Christian and a resident of the state in question.

There are plenty of things in the world I don't understand. I have no idea(!) how it came about that the bug crawling around in my water garden knew he should climb out of the water one day, dry himself off, and become a dragonfly. So, even though I do not have Christian (or any other organized religion) beliefs, I have to shrug it off and say "God".
Your outlook is the exact same that created religion. A lightning bolt hit a mother and children and the cave dudes walked up to them.....the mother remained dead, but the child magically revived. The clan didn't know why - so they assumed the dude who touched them was magic. Religion.

If you had the proper education, you could find out (or make a scientific deduction) why or how that bug changed forms. DNA as well as traits have been studied since the 1860's. It's amazing to think that 150 years later you can't get a bit further than a monk and a scientist from Germany.

God must hate good people because I know a lot of them that died at 16 or 25. It would be intellectually lazy for me to say "Well, God wanted that great woman to be hit by a drunk driver and God wanted my teenage friend to have brain cancer".

An educated person would say "Self driving cars, which our best minds are hard at work with, will lower the incidence of death by auto at least 90%. DNA research may allow treatment or even the editing (CRISPR) of the genes that caused my friend to die at 16.

You have perfectly laid out the difference between Aristotelian or Platonic logic and superstition.
"the traditional system of logic expounded by Aristotle and developed in the Middle Ages, concerned chiefly with deductive reasoning"

YOU may not know something, but that doesn't mean it is no knowable. Assigning everything we are ignorant about to some Super-Being seems a cop-out.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You should visit one day.
I spent plenty of time in Mississippi growing up. Got tons of family there in the Delta.

The place is an embarrassment. That said, I do enjoy my trips to the Delta if for nothing else but the great bbq and blues juke joints. The best people in Mississippi are the folks on the bottom.
Quote:
Come on now Desert, give Mississippi a little more credit. Check out this link of all the wonderful things about Mississippi.

9 Things That Mississippi Is The Best At
Lol..well..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Not even close. Mississippi is not poor even by European standards.

There are no poor states in the U.S., although some people think it's relative.
It’s a dump...period.

And by European standards it’s not even inhabitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies