Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 04:56 PM

133 posts, read 182,967 times

Advertisements

There's no "agenda!" It's a teacher giving a few fun facts about herself so that the students know a tiny little bit about the person they'll be working with all year. No different from an icebreaker in a class or workplace environment. Naturally, a photo of oneself may include a spouse, children, pets, etc. The kids think for a moment, oh, Ms. Smith is a normal human being, too, just like me or my parents, with a life outside school. Then they move on to lessons.

This has nothing to do with politics or beliefs. One does not choose to be gay, one does not ascribe to a set of "gay" beliefs or values, and children do not become gay because they know that some women marry women. It's certainly not an inappropriate display of sexuality. In fact, it has nothing to do with sex, or certainly not more than a picture of a husband and wife does. The great thing is that children won't be disturbed or confused. "Oh, people marry whomever they love." Simple. If only we could all think that way.

And no one really cares about teachers sharing a personal anecdote or fun fact. This conversation would simply not be happening if she'd shown a picture of a male spouse. It wouldn't even register, and no one would be angry. This is 100% homophobia.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'm stunned that I almost agree with phma.

Perhaps projecting, but I remember having to explain blow jobs with someone not your spouse after the bus lady told my 9 yo grandson about Bill and Monica.

My family took advantage of what the teacher said every night at dinner for many many years. We discussed the teacher's opinion and how we agreed or disagreed.

IMO, 4th grade is too young for public school teachers to introduce same sex marriage.

But it depends on the town and the kids. My daughter teaches in Manhattan. Pre schoolers are aware of all kinds of family situations. In Texas, the disclosure would raise an eyebrow. Texas, that's a whole other story.

My school district got into a pissing contest with a kid who wanted to start a LGBT club after school. Many, including most of the board, would have cancelled all after school programs and clubs in order to avoid gays and lesbians. They had the funding and the lawyers to take it to the Supremes. The superintendent who said they were discriminating got his contract bought out.
Blowjobs are not the same as showing a photo of one's spouse.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Interracial marriage wasn't viewed as an aberration of nature, the concern was for the children of interracial marriage who would be looked down on by both races.
It absolutely was considered an aberration of nature as black people were thought of as subhuman. It was also viewed as anti-biblical.

Looking down on children of mixed race was collateral damage of the above mindsets.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How is being gay or straight an agenda? Or religion? Or personal belief?
When someone makes it one in a video and presents it in a place that is inappropriate.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
When someone makes it one in a video and presents it in a place that is inappropriate.
How is showing a photo of one's spouse an agenda? Personal belief? Religion?

Why is showing children a photo of one's spouse inappropriate?

Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
There's no "agenda!" It's a teacher giving a few fun facts about herself so that the students know a tiny little bit about the person they'll be working with all year. No different from an icebreaker in a class or workplace environment. Naturally, a photo of oneself may include a spouse, children, pets, etc. The kids think for a moment, oh, Ms. Smith is a normal human being, too, just like me or my parents, with a life outside school. Then they move on to lessons.

This has nothing to do with politics or beliefs. One does not choose to be gay, one does not ascribe to a set of "gay" beliefs or values, and children do not become gay because they know that some women marry women. It's certainly not an inappropriate display of sexuality. In fact, it has nothing to do with sex, or certainly not more than a picture of a husband and wife does. The great thing is that children won't be disturbed or confused. "Oh, people marry whomever they love." Simple. If only we could all think that way.

And no one really cares about teachers sharing a personal anecdote or fun fact. This conversation would simply not be happening if she'd shown a picture of a male spouse. It wouldn't even register, and no one would be angry. This is 100% homophobia.
Exactly. Thank you!!!

Old 05-13-2018, 05:14 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
[quote=phma;51882311]
Quote:

It said the issue was whether Ms. Bailey had followed district guidelines that require “controversial subjects be taught in ‘an impartial and objective manner. Teachers shall not use the classroom to transmit personal belief regarding political or sectarian issues.”

Has the court case been decided ?
Yep, I have a friend who teaches outside of Houston. They can't even color Christmas trees, snowmen are okay. The school district is just trying to decide if this teacher was pushing an agenda or not. Was it more than just a slide show? We don't know. It does appear she is an activist, but was she promoting it in the classroom, that's the question. Like I said earlier, the school renewed her contract, so I think they are leaning in her favor. Personally, I'm glad they are being cautious.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:

What's the purpose of a slide show or a photo ? Any slide show or any photo.

In basic training I was talked into asking a guy, who happened to be an Arkansas pig farmer, to see a photo of his wife he was showing around. He showed me and I was shocked anyone would be showing that photo as a source of pride. The first thought that went through my mind was he married one of the pigs and not a particularly attractive one with hairy warts on her chin.
I was stunted but managed to be kind and said, I bet she is a good cook. He agreed and started telling me about her cooking. I'll never forget that as long as I live. He was a nice guy and I bet his wife was too.
That photo was shocking and I didn't believe I could pull off a lie and say different. Somehow I made the connection to food and save myself from what could have been a fight. She could have been the nicest kindest person in the world but I didn't see any of that in the photo.

Last edited by phma; 05-13-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 05:20 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:

So you're saying if a teacher was sharing his or hers polyamorous life (with a power point slideshow) it would be ok?

Yeah I dont think so, LOl

I say teachers should keep their personal business ...you know....personal. And like i said up-thread...little children DONT CARE! So, I dont know what was running through this teachers head in setting up a slide show, especially if she hasn't done it in previous years with new students (what has changed?) Oh wait shes going into a gay marriage.

I can understand how this can be misunderstood as pushing a gay agenda.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
1. I don’t want to know about my teachers family or activities. It’s not germaine to the central issue, learning.

2. So? I never did because it’s none of their business.

3. See answer #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies