Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. I don't see a violation. Showing a picture of your spouse isn't political or sectarian. Its personal.
The article indicates that if they had the grounds to fire her they would have done so already. They should just reinstate her, apologize and move on.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:47 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/u...imes&smtyp=cur

A few points to ponder before reacting:

1. It is absolutely normal for teachers to share parts of their personal lives with their students such as what this teacher did.

2. Students are often given a chance to talk about their families and lives outside of school too.

3. Would it have been deemed inappropriate if Ms. Bailey was straight and showed photos of her and her husband?
Conservatives need to start attesting to what they say they believe in...

(1) smaller government and (2) allowing other to live as they want

...gay marriage does not hurt society...we don't need a bigger government to ban it.

...a gay couple does not hurt you...leave them be.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I live in a small town, so my experience may be different for several reasons .

The only male teachers who's spouses I saw/new were also teachers and worked at the same school. Hurting your argument is the fact that they would always visit each other and kiss good bye .

Female teachers were the opposite though, they had pictures of their husbands and kids on their desks , we knew their spouses before we ever met them in person .

Either way, we would alsways meet spouses at awards ceremonys, graduations and field day .
That's weird. It's been my experience that a teacher's desk is no place for personal photos of family. My Michigan born wife concurs that she never saw it and thinks its odd.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:19 PM

125 posts, read 85,067 times
Teachers are paid to teach school! Not share about their personal lives; it’s totally inappropriate!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:25 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Conservatives need to start attesting to what they say they believe in...

(1) smaller government and (2) allowing other to live as they want

...gay marriage does not hurt society...we don't need a bigger government to ban it.

...a gay couple does not hurt you...leave them be.
Again. In the classroom, 4th graders do not need to be introduced to the gay and lesbian lifestyle. Don't parents get advance notice before the school gives students their first classes on human biology and sexuality? Just so that parents are prepared to answer further questions about it at home.

It's not right that this teacher suddenly sprang her lesbian life on these young kids.

And so what if not everyone is accepting of gays and lesbians? Part of being a heterosexual is that one isn't sexually attracted to their own sex. Therefore, there is a natural aversion to seeing others being gay and lesbian.

The only people who would 100% be fine with seeing gays and lesbians being affectionate with their partners are those who are also gay or lesbian or... who are bisexual. Otherwise, those who are straight are naturally turned off by seeing gays and lesbians with their partners. Probably straight men have the strongest anti-gay feelings, seeing as how their ideal sexual partners have very little body hair.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Again. In the classroom, 4th graders do not need to be introduced to the gay and lesbian lifestyle. Don't parents get advance notice before the school gives students their first classes on human biology and sexuality? Just so that parents are prepared to answer further questions about it at home.

It's not right that this teacher suddenly sprang her lesbian life on these young kids.

And so what if not everyone is accepting of gays and lesbians? Part of being a heterosexual is that one isn't sexually attracted to their own sex. Therefore, there is a natural aversion to seeing others being gay and lesbian.

The only people who would 100% be fine with seeing gays and lesbians being affectionate with their partners are those who are also gay or lesbian or... who are bisexual. Otherwise, those who are straight are naturally turned off by seeing gays and lesbians with their partners. Probably straight men have the strongest anti-gay feelings, seeing as how their ideal sexual partners have very little body hair.
I'm straight, and I don't care what other people who are consenting adults do. Pokes a hole in your post....

Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
Teachers are paid to teach school! Not share about their personal lives; it’s totally inappropriate!
Teachers married and invited students to attend the church ceremony, it’s a small percentage but it happens. This is an overreaction by some parents.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm straight, and I don't care what other people who are consenting adults do. Pokes a hole in your post....
I don't care either, I just don't want the gay and lesbian lifestyle in my face. Keep that stuff in their own homes.

But more importantly and back to the thread topic, I don't think that fourth graders should be introduced to the LGBTQ lifestyle by their teacher. It's the parents' job to do that.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't care either, I just don't want the gay and lesbian lifestyle in my face. Keep that stuff in their own homes.

But more importantly and back to the thread topic, I don't think that fourth graders should be introduced to the LGBTQ lifestyle by their teacher. It's the parents' job to do that.
It's not like the teacher showed the kids of her and her wife going down on each other. I just don't see what the big deal is. It beats them having to live in the closet.

And I don't believe in sheltering kids. Kids are more intelligent than grownups give them credit for, and the sooner they learn about the real world, the better. Otherwise, you get some sheltered 18 year old who can't function in society....

Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies