Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 07:11 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How is showing a photo of one's spouse "educating children on moral issues"?

Why is it a mistake to show a photo of your spouse?
You really undermine your argument by asking the same question over and over. Unable to accept the answers given the question persist.
That is something a child will often do on something they don't understand. They don't stop until they get the answer they want or need. The most often heard question from a child = Why ? Why won't go away until the child is satisfied or distracted to something else.
Go clean your room can be the distraction.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:

The only thing that I remember from school was that some teacher's names changed, it was obvious that they got married. That was the extent of our knowledge of their private lives.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
I have not read the whole thread but I would bet there is more information than what we are being given in that one article but because of confidentiality we do not know it. Maybe they have had previous complaints about other things the teacher has done.
That being said I do not see anything wrong with a teacher briefly showing their students a little of their personal lives even if they have a different lifestyle.
The question is how much and how it was done.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You really undermine your argument by asking the same question over and over. Unable to accept the answers given the question persist.
That is something a child will often do on something they don't understand. They don't stop until they get the answer they want or need. The most often heard question from a child = Why ? Why won't go away until the child is satisfied or distracted to something else.
Aside from the fact that this post is a thinly veiled personal attack, the question persists and so therefore I will keep asking it. If you don't like it, place me on ignore or try to restrain yourself from opening the thread.

When you can satisfactorily answer why one teacher can show a photo of her spouse while another can't outside of "because we say so" then I'll stop asking the question.

Otherwise the question stands.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The only thing that I remember from school was that some teacher's names changed, it was obvious that they got married. That was the extent of our knowledge of their private lives.
And has been said by numerous posters on this thread, your experience is one of many. Many others, even people who went to school back in the 50s and 60s, said their teachers often shared some details about their lives outside of school.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:

It is a lack of sensitively to the culture of the students. You are in the Bible belt. You are bond to have a good portion of parents who do not agree with homosexuality. Showing the picture doesn't benefit the teacher or the students.

It would be similar to living in a community that is extremely vegan and pro animals rights and showing your class a photo of you enjoying a nice juicy steak for dinner.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
By 4th grade, most children are aware of homosexuality whether the parent chooses to expose them to it or not. They have friends with two mommies or two daddies, babysitters with a girlfriend, a neighbor with a partner, or, in this case, a teacher with a wife. Kids talk in school. Heck - I grew up in an area that is *still* one of the most conservative in the country and we all knew that one of my classmates had two mommies, even if one of the mommies was referred to as a "family friend" because of the ugly attitudes of some of the parents. Kids aren't stupid.

It's only as complicated as you make it.

If you believe this, though, I assume you sleep in a separate bedroom from your children's other parent? After all, you can't expose your child to sexual issues and preferences at too young an age!
Lesbian, and Gays only represent a few percentages of society. 1% - 3%. I doubt kids encounter LGBT much if at all, especially at school. The Media wants you, and kids to think they are in far greater numbers, and mainstream. Also, when I did have kids in the house, we kept our sex lives to ourselves, and until later ages, they thought Mommy, and Daddy actually just slept together. Also, we were parents, not some almost stranger at school. That's a terrible analogy.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 AM

LGBT teacher sues Texas school district, claims discrimination | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

One parent complained. One.

Other parents have shown support for Bailey.

Quote:
Hannah Olsen, the mother of a student at Charlotte Anderson, said she is angry at how the district has treated Bailey and her supporters at Charlotte Anderson.

"I am amazed and thankful that Ms. Bailey still wants to come back to Charlotte Anderson," Olsen told the Star-Telegram in an email. "My daughter adores Ms. Bailey and misses her so much, and I know she's not the only student who feels this way. I hope that she is able to do so and that the District takes quick action to rectify this situation and ensure nothing like this will happen to another teacher ever again. "

Ms. Bailey was teacher of the year twice during her 10 year tenure with the district.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is a lack of sensitively to the culture of the students. You are in the Bible belt. You are bond to have a good portion of parents who do not agree with homosexuality. Showing the picture doesn't benefit the teacher or the students.

It would be similar to living in a community that is extremely vegan and pro animals rights and showing your class a photo of you enjoying a nice juicy steak for dinner.
One parent complained.

ONE.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Lesbian, and Gays only represent a few percentages of society. 1% - 3%. I doubt kids encounter LGBT much if at all, especially at school. The Media wants you, and kids to think they are in far greater numbers, and mainstream. Also, when I did have kids in the house, we kept our sex lives to ourselves, and until later ages, they thought Mommy, and Daddy actually just slept together. Also, we were parents, not some almost stranger at school. That's a terrible analogy.
My kids know half a dozen gay and lesbian adults. There are several gay students in my older son's grade.

The problem is that you and others believe that minority Americans don't deserve the same rights and ability to live their lives the way the majority does. Whether you believe students come into contact with gays and lesbians is quite moot. Those gays and lesbians are Americans too and are entitled to live their lives the way the rest of us do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies