Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I would need more information. If all the students were doing the same, it just is what it is. Other than that, it was unnecessary and I would question the purpose of the slideshow. Usually teachers don’t reveal much information about their personal lives, in my experience.
That's right, I didn't know if my kid's teachers were married or not. This teacher's case is still being investigated, that's why she's not in the classroom. Not only is she still drawing a salary, her contract was renewed for next year. So, that tells me the school is leaning towards keeping her.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:07 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
All these people saying their teachers never discussed anything about their personal lives, I call B.S.

Every teacher I had in school discussed at least one thing about themselves outside of school. The funnest was my 9th grade English teacher would devote the first 5 mins of every Tuesday to discussing Ally McBeal (her favorite show)
And which of the "three Rs" would Ally McBeal be? That teacher should have been disciplined for wasting student time and wasting tax dollars.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:11 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Offhand comments if kids ask about a teacher's personal life are one thing, but to put together a slideshow of her life is completely another and has no place in the classroom. We don't need all that info about everyone's life. Your life is private and so is mine.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
All these people saying their teachers never discussed anything about their personal lives, I call B.S.

Every teacher I had in school discussed at least one thing about themselves outside of school. The funnest was my 9th grade English teacher would devote the first 5 mins of every Tuesday to discussing Ally McBeal (her favorite show)
What do you want, your money back ? Understandable. You were cheated out of valuable time that should have been spent on the subjects the teacher was hired to teach. Who was your teacher, Mork or Mindy ? Mister Ed ?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:

I was not lying. I can kinda understand why too. IMO, Discussing too much personal information would erode the authority aura that a teacher has over her students. I can remember feeling absolutely shocked when I found out that my 5th grade teacher had a daughter who was my age, as an example. I honestly don’t remember ANY teachers or student teachers (some of whom I think were actually gay or lesbian) discussing their personal lives. It would have been suicidal in the time and place where I grew up. They didn’t discuss TV shows either nor politics. By the way, I am a progressive gay man.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:

Do you not see the difference in discussing something that students can relate to compared to making them sit through a SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION of personal details, pictures of family members???

Old 05-13-2018, 10:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I was not lying. I can kinda understand why too. IMO, Discussing too much personal information would erode the authority aura that a teacher has over her students. I can remember feeling absolutely shocked when I found out that my 5th grade teacher had a daughter who was my age, as an example. I honestly don’t remember ANY teachers or student teachers (some of whom I think were actually gay or lesbian) discussing their personal lives. It would have been suicidal in the time and place where I grew up. They didn’t discuss TV shows either nor politics. By the way, I am a progressive gay man.
I know what you mean.
My brother attended a school where our cousin was a teacher.
My brother made the mistake of calling him by his first name. My cousin the teacher quickly corrected him and told him he is to be addressed by Mr. and his last name in any school setting. Family was not to be a discussion in his classroom or a school hallway. That was made quite clear.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/u...imes&smtyp=cur
1. It is absolutely normal for teachers to share parts of their personal lives with their students such as what this teacher did.
I and my kids have NEVER had a teacher discuss their home lives or introduce themselves with a slide show. It is not "absolutely normal".

Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/10/u...imes&smtyp=cur

A few points to ponder before reacting:

1. It is absolutely normal for teachers to share parts of their personal lives with their students such as what this teacher did.

2. Students are often given a chance to talk about their families and lives outside of school too.

3. Would it have been deemed inappropriate if Ms. Bailey was straight and showed photos of her and her husband?
IMO students in the 4th grade are way too young to have to be introduced to the LGBTQ lifestyle.

I am supportive enough for those in the LGBTQ community as long as it doesn't cost me more money (I am totally against sex change operations being paid for by the insurance companies (go crowdsource those funds if they can afford to pay for it themselves) and don't throw it in my face (do what you need to do in the privacy of your homes). But being LGBTQ is NOT normal behaviour.

LGBTQ behaviour is a akin to people picking a spirituality to believe and follow. Do want you want to, but don't force or expose other people and children to it.

And it's not homophobic to feel disturbed by seeing men kissing and groping other men, or women on women action. It's just not natural biology. And I also don't want to see other heterosexual couples getting all kissy and handy either. That stuff should be private, not for public viewing.

Schools are for academics, not for other agenda. That gay marriage stuff is for the parents of the students to explain, not their teachers.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If I had a child I would not wish for it to he indoctrinated into a mindset that goes against my personal values. I would support the schools actions.
Showing a few pictures of a partner is not indoctrination, afew teachers share their private lives particularly large events like weddings, death of a spouse or vacations. Its best to see the world through open eyes rather than try to shield them from something as harmless as this. This is the world we live in, if you have an extended family I would bet there is someone that is gay, do you shield them from the fact.

But this Texas where they deny gay couples from accepting foster children from an overburdened system so its not surprising that they took action against a top teacher for showing some pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies