U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:13 AM

21,103 posts, read 19,012,706 times

Advertisements

Have they ever addressed the issue in these comics that the superheroes only seem to age ever so slightly? Peter Parker was born maybe about 1950 making him nearly 70 years old now. Jay Jonah Jameson would be 100 if the character is still alive, I haven't touched a comic book for at least 15 years. Characters die and get brought back or they do kill off some now and again for real. I'm guessing Peter Parker, if still around, is now in his 40s maybe? Have they replaced him with another character in the comics?
They redo characters to make them more topical for the present and always with an eye for marketability. But usually these efforts just make the characters less able to stand the test of time. Sell a few comics now, then shelve the idea in a year or two.
They could do retro movies with the classic characters back in their original time periods, say the 1960s. They need some kind of new gimmick to keep making movies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 04:31 AM

4,115 posts, read 2,972,102 times
Will she stop Muslim men from killing the infidel beside them, or striking the head and hand from the unbeliever? Or will she help them do so?

Will she stop Muslim men from raping women and then murdeing them as honor killings?

Will she stop Muslim men from destroying important historical sites such as the Silk road Buddhas or Palmyra?

If she dies in an act of heroism, will she get 72 virgins? Will they be men or women?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 PM

33,230 posts, read 18,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Who?
I take it you don't read comics because she is an amazing character, and quite possibly one of the best characters created this decade. Kamela Khan is a teenage American-Muslim girl living in Marvel's version of Jersey City who is an Inhuman who got her powers due to the Terrigen bomb that Thanos released during the 2013/4 Infinity storyline. The Terrigen bomb released Terrigen Mist which is what turns those with Inhuman DNA into Inhumans. She has taken the Ms. Marvel title as she was a fan-girl of the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers (who took the mantel of Captain Marvel) and became a superhero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What is it with these superhero movies? We have an entire generation of people who think this garbage is entertaining.
They are entertaining and most aren't just dumb fun and have deep issues to them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, X-Men: Days of Future Past have all been more than the typical mindless action movie and makes us think about things. Now if you are talking movies like Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: The Dark World or even Deadpool (and don't get me wrong, I LOVED Deadpool and Deadpool 2) then I agree, they are dumb fun where you can shut off your brain and enjoy the movie. The others can have the magic of the Star Wars movies where they connect to viewers on a bigger level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No doubt. When are people going to say enough already? This latest development encourages a deep yawn.

Not political, controversial, or interesting.
When we get Marvel movies that are universally hated like most of the DC movies and they stop making Avengers money and instead continuously make Justice League money. The movie industry all try to copy eachother when it comes to what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is she Transgendered also? A LBGT hero who can use any bathroom he/she desires.
When she uses her shape-shifting power, she COULD be? I know there are quite a few LBG characters in the X-Men. We even saw one in Deadpool 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Whoopty-freaking-doo. If it's a good actor, with a good story, in a good film, I'll watch it, and like it. I don't give a rats fat backside what religion a character or actor is, or what race they are. Also, I'm a dang conservative white Republican.
The only problem I have with Kamela Khan in the movies, is there a good enough American-Muslim (I think she's Pakistani) actor to portray her. Also she is about Peter Parker aged so this means they would need someone around Tom Holland's age and not Yasmine Al Massri (who also is Lebanese which I know Kamela is not regardless if she is Pakistani or not.) It's going to be a hard film to cast. At least with Black Panther, there are more than enough Black (African, African-American, African-British, etc.) actors to do that film the way they did it, which did the character and mythology right.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 3,814,992 times
Quote:
I get it..personal preference ect. It just seems there used to be occasional SH movies, now half the movies that come out involving someone having ridiculous magical powers.

There just isn't much real creativity or good writing anymore. Movies like My Cousin Vinnie, Scent of a Woman, Forest Gump.
At least the 1978 version of Superman was enjoyable.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 3,814,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Their money. I don’t care what they spend it on.

I DO KNOW that Black Panther seemingly triggered a lot of right wing Republicans.

After it was highly successful, they went back under the rocks they crawled from under.
It looked like it was going to be a cool film. But then the left politicized it and drove many people away.

It's not just right wing Republicans that were triggered. Many independents and people with no party affiliation didn't want to deal with politics as well.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:50 PM

33,230 posts, read 18,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
It looked like it was going to be a cool film. But then the left politicized it and drove many people away.

It's not just right wing Republicans that were triggered. Many independents and people with no party affiliation didn't want to deal with politics as well.
I didn't have a problem with it because well Black Panther has always been political whether a political drama or social commentary.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:11 AM

8,902 posts, read 13,306,281 times
More political correctness, after hyping up the racial nature of Black Panther which coulda simply been an African movie without focusing on the racial issues.

Oh yes and the Black Panthers were a radical violent organization. Imagine if there was a white superhero named The Klansman.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:36 AM

32,320 posts, read 35,697,022 times
I predict the steam will be running out at Marvel. They have dominated film and entertainment for a decade now and nothing lasts forever. The only thing that will keep fatigue from setting in too soon is new characters but it remains to be seen if they will be as beloved as the first crop of MCU characters have been. I won't mourn if Marvel slows down in the movie department, there's bound to be something newer and more interesting.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 AM

22,565 posts, read 12,962,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The only problem I have with Kamela Khan in the movies, is there a good enough American-Muslim (I think she's Pakistani) actor to portray her. Also she is about Peter Parker aged so this means they would need someone around Tom Holland's age and not Yasmine Al Massri (who also is Lebanese which I know Kamela is not regardless if she is Pakistani or not.) It's going to be a hard film to cast. At least with Black Panther, there are more than enough Black (African, African-American, African-British, etc.) actors to do that film the way they did it, which did the character and mythology right.
So what's the difference between an African-American actor playing an African (pick a country) or vice versa and a Lebanese actor playing an American-Pakistani?

Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 AM

22,565 posts, read 12,962,264 times
Quote:
I get it..personal preference ect. It just seems there used to be occasional SH movies, now half the movies that come out involving someone having ridiculous magical powers.

There just isn't much real creativity or good writing anymore. Movies like My Cousin Vinnie, Scent of a Woman, Forest Gump.
Only a fraction of the 600 movies a year involve someone having ridiculous magical powers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or