Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Not sure if you realize this or not, but corporations exists for the sole purpose to make money. Not be a charity. If you have any experience running a company or management in general you would know cutting overhead is one of the easiest things you can do to increase margins.

It will not look good to the shareholders if Amazons profit takes a hit due to a stupid law in Seattle. They would be wise to move much like Boeing did. Amazon owes the city and the homeless nothing.

Seattle is a cool city, I love to visit for work but would not want to live there. And its not the rain that would keep me away.

I live in Denver and lets be honest about a lot of the homeless.......its a lifestyle choice.
Amazon paid ZERO federal taxes in 2017. Seattle may lose out in the long run, but I'm going to sit here and feel bad for Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Amazon paid ZERO federal taxes in 2017.
Good for them. If only the rest of us could be so lucky.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Amazon paid ZERO federal taxes in 2017. Seattle may lose out in the long run, but I'm going to sit here and feel bad for Amazon.
They are only playing by the rules. Doing nothing illegal much like Trump in his taxes. Is if fair? debatable, but not illegal. But to impose a tax to pay for a homeless problem that the city govt created? That's not fair.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
See your missing the entire situation. This tax is not just for Amazon. Its for any company that has a revenue of 20 mlliion or more. Thats a lot of construction jobs, tech jobs, and other fields....They all dont take in billions... The city council pushed it as some amazon tax, but its worst than that.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
They are only playing by the rules. Doing nothing illegal much like Trump in his taxes. Is if fair? debatable, but not illegal. But to impose a tax to pay for a homeless problem that the city govt created? That's not fair.
Exactly. Call up your local congressman and complain about the tax code. Its not like Amazon is breaking any laws. They are playing by the tax code.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
cut the over spending, and you wont need to raise revenue
What overspending? Most government expenditures at the local level go to employee pay, so you are talking about people's jobs here.....

Old 05-14-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Exactly. Call up your local congressman and complain about the tax code. Its not like Amazon is breaking any laws. They are playing by the tax code.
My point is that you have to actively try not to be employed at this point. I don't think business should have to pay for the BS that Seattle created.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
See your missing the entire situation. This tax is not just for Amazon. Its for any company that has a revenue of 20 mlliion or more. Thats a lot of construction jobs, tech jobs, and other fields....They all dont take in billions... The city council pushed it as some amazon tax, but its worst than that.
I don't think the sky is falling. Keep in mind, I live in Wisconsin where infrastructure projects go uncompleted to fulfill corporate welfare obligations. Not a good thing to have government beholden to corporate interests.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:55 PM

Seattle is also the city where 1000's protested a refinery on the Sound in their plastic (made from oil) kayaks......so none of this is surprising

Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
Someone has to challenge this tax in court right? There's no way that this form of taxation is legal. A company that is losing money can be taxed because they have too much revenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies