Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You mean how many on the right did with Obama. Like how they wanted him to fail so bad, and did everything they could to see that he did.
Not similar at all.

In the case of Obama's term, the Majority Leader, McConnel publicly stated he wanted Obama to fail, and that his #1 agenda was to make him a 1-term President (oddly but not surprisingly, not to do anything good for America).

On the other-hand, all we have is a bunch of projecting by Trump Supporters and Republican Hacks about what "liberals want", with absolutely no evidence to back it up. This thread is a golden example of such projecting. Trumpers seem to think everyone is as narrow-minded and shallow as they are.

The truth is that most Libs I know (there are a few with TDS, I'll admit it), want to see the economy thrive. Most of us work hard, and would like to retire one day, and would like to see our life-work be enhanced by a growing stock market. Failure of the economy means hardship for our families, and delayed or thwarted retirement lifestyle.

The truth is that people have different ideas about what will move the country forward. In reality, the solution is probably a blend of many different ideas. While complete deregulation of business will spark the economy today, it will have ill effects in the future. Likewise, while heavily regulated business will protect the environment, and protect consumers, overregulation will stifle the economy, and that too will be a disaster.

Take the partisan gloves off, put away the kool-aid (all flavors), and just think for yourselves. I personally don't like Trump. I think his ideas are very short sited, and I think he's denigrating the reputation of the USA. Others will disagree, and that is their right. I also have to acknowledge that under his watch, a few good things have happened, and more importantly, a few bad things have stopped happening. I may not like his way of doing it, and I may think it is more bad than good, but it's change. For example, I think he's royally screwed up on NK. But the fact is that SOMETHING is happening now, and it may not have happened under Hillary. We'll never know. Even if he has broken it more, he's also broken the cycle of inaction. That is good. Maybe in 2, or 6 years, an adult will get back in the oval office, and they'll be able to fix his mess. That would not have been possible without Trump.

I know I sound like I'm taking shots at him, but in reality, he ran on exactly that (as it applies to NK, anyway). Hope is not a strategy, but the reality is that "it is what it is". We all have to take the silver lining, the perverbial turd in the punch-bowl, and polish it up. If, in 2 or six years, the momentum with NK is still broken, and someone with a little more worldly intelligence is in office, we may have a chance to realize more progress. It was put in action by Trump.

To the original question: I want to see the economy succeed. I will take the good and bad, and I will work with what we have. Right now, I know we're in an environment that favors corporate interest over the American citizen. I could sit and cry about it, but instead, I choose to work with the facts, and I am investing more now, and watching the markets closely.

I hope my 401k grows like crazy. To wish anything else would be self-defeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Since some people here are probably too lazy to click on any links and read, here are some useful charts:

Here is GDP growth going back to Q2 2014. Tell me, where is that "acceleration" since Trump took office?

From the official source

And here is payroll job growth going all the way back to 2008. Can you see where the election happened? If you say you can, you are lying.

From the official source

What your garden variety Trumpet does is, they've convinced themselves there's some big boom going on, just because Trump is in office. When you show them some actual data and statistics showing that it's been doing no different from the previous 6 or 7 years, it goes completely over their heads because they don't have the slightest idea what any of these statistics are, or what they mean. That enables them to continue their illusion of a big economic boom that isn't happening. It's a classic ignorance-is-bliss thing.
Thanks for the very informative post. Most of what we have here is just bluster. Having some actual numbers is good. I'd expect the wage growth to pick up as unemployment reaches the point where it is a seller's market (the employee) due to the shortage of supply and higher demand.

Maybe we would have reached that with anybody running the show. It is possible that Trump's 2020 slogan should be "Trump: I didn't mess up as bad as you thought!"

Old 05-16-2018, 08:09 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Let us peek at the National Debt clock:

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
If I'm reading this right - is that saying that median income is unchanged in the 18 years since 2000? And yet the median home price has doubled in that time frame?

The middle-class is just just fine.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If I'm reading this right - is that saying that median income is unchanged in the 18 years since 2000? And yet the median home price has doubled in that time frame?

The middle-class is just just fine.
Oh, it's much worse than that - the median income has been essentially stagnant since the early 70s. The oligarchs realized that instead of increasing wages, they could just give Americans easier access to credit, so we could buy more things and better things as though we were making more money. Household income is almost unchanged since 1970, but consumer debt has more than tripled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies