Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 07:02 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Kim is backing out because he was never serious about the summit. He is simply using g this as an excuse. No one with any sense believed Kim was serious about normalizing relations with South Korea.
yep.

hopefully this will be the catalyst to nominate an ambassador for s. korea.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Just look at the two major players in this .....
i'm pretty sure they share the same barber and work-out at the same gym.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yep, was never going to happen. I called it either here or on another thread. If it does happen I will eat my words.
I'd wait before eating anything. Threatening to walk out is a standard negotiating tactic, which Obama fell for it every time. How many times did Iranian do to him? I too am skeptical about NK giving up anything but at some point we have to force his hand.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-summit-latest

A North Korean official said the country had no interest in a summit with US if it was based on “one-sided” demands to give up nuclear weapons, according to state media.

Citing first vice minister of foreign affairs Kim Kye Gwan, North Korea’s central news agency also said the fate of the US summit as well as bilateral relations “would be clear” if Washington speaks of a Libya-style denuclearisation for the North.

The statement added Trump would remain as a “failed president” if he followed in the steps of his predecessors.

“We will appropriately respond to the Trump administration if it approaches the North Korea-US summit meeting with a truthful intent to improve relations,” Kim said.

So you believe all of this is meaningless -- just to save face for the North Koreans.

Whatever. If not then Kim is a fool.

It's still not Trump being played or conned. We haven't given up anything yet. Not one dollar of sanctions has been lifted. Not one dollar of economic aid has been delivered. The one who stands to lose big here is NK. If everything reverted back to six months ago, the only net change is three hostages have come home.

Trump has agreed to meet Kim, to give peace and negotiation a chance. If Kim cancels the meeting and the US later wipes out NK using the military, Trump will be able to say he did all he could, did more than any previous President, but NK wouldn't even sit down at the table.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Kim Jong Un wants the U.S. military to pull out of South Korea. This is just another ploy. Pretty laughable.

NOT going to happen.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is a truly crazy statement. The entire "summit" was based on the idea that the nukes were being given up...and he doesn't have the money or infrastructure to continue his program anyway.

Why not just state an opinion?

Based on your statement, can we assume you are OK with him keeping nukes and...that we should forgive him most of his transgressions against his population and threats against us and "give him stuff"?

Where do you stand?
And you are basing this statement on what? The fact that Kim indicated he might be willing to shut down a test site that was no longer functional? You think that means that was the sole test site in North Korea?

News flash: It wasn't

North Korea Nuclear Facilities Map | Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI)

Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
My take is that the US continued this exercises, which may have been planned months ago, simply to say "we can." We can do this and will continue to do this. It is either a ploy to scuttle the entire meeting and let the administration spin it how they want - or it is a bargaining chip to force NK to give up more. It won't be a given that the US will stop these military exercises. So now NK maybe can't get as many concessions as it wanted.

What I do find interesting is that Kim gave up those 3 prisoners, which was clearly a win for the US. Sure, we have our President telling the press that Kim is a good guy and was "excellent to these people." Maybe that was worth it for Kim? But outside of that, if he gave up those prisoners in good faith - then he'd be losing this meeting and gaining nothing other than a sound blurb of Trump praising him?

It makes me wonder if something else was exchanged below the radar for these prisoners. Oil? Money? Or was it "future considerations?"

Old 05-16-2018, 08:24 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Whatever. If not then Kim is a fool.

It's still not Trump being played or conned. We haven't given up anything yet. Not one dollar of sanctions has been lifted. Not one dollar of economic aid has been delivered. The one who stands to lose big here is NK. If everything reverted back to six months ago, the only net change is three hostages have come home.

Trump has agreed to meet Kim, to give peace and negotiation a chance. If Kim cancels the meeting and the US later wipes out NK using the military, Trump will be able to say he did all he could, did more than any previous President, but NK wouldn't even sit down at the table.
And what reason would the US have for wiping out NK? Simply because they have nukes? They have not fired any at the US and there are other countries that have nukes as well. Is the US going to unilaterally wipe those out too?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Now it's becoming clear why Kim Jong-In was being so "nice" for the last month or so, agreeing to a summit, saying he would de-nuclearize the Korean peninsula, etc. He was suddenly behaving like no one in the Kim regimes ever had since the 1950s.

It was so he could wait for his enemies (China, Russia, U.S. etc.) to do something he doesn't like, and then he could threaten them with "If you don't change your minds, I'll pull out of the summit, keep my nukes in North Korea etc.!"

His "niceness", cooperation etc. was way too good to be true. And now we know why he was really doing it: Business as usual in North Korea.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:40 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Appeasement.....if I wasn't a Patriot I would laugh at some murderous dictator whose entire GDP doesn't equal that of a square mile of Silicon Valley.....dictating terms to our POTUS.

This is one situation I would support Trump changing his mind about.

IMHO, he should tell them to f**k off - and let them deal with China and S.Korea (what they are doing anyway) and then let them grovel to us. It's a one way street in reality....not "equals" as Trump is making it.

Think about how much worse off N. Korea is than Russia - yet Russia fell apart in recent history due to corruption and lack of being able to take care of their populace while also arming up.

N. Korea is a joke. They already lost. Problem is, Trump wants to lose alone with them. After this "summit", it means we need to negotiate with anyone and everyone.

No one can doubt that Hamas or the Palestinians are vastly more reasonable and peaceful than N. Korea. They feed their people and provide basic services, even under terrible strain. They have a true beef.

Yet we are treating N. Korea as an equal??
I do tend to agree with you, but I don't think he will back out of the summit. I think he will try to use the military exercises as a bargaining chip for denuclearization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies