Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 10:24 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Some Democrats do bash rural America. This is not a good example, however.

Some Democrats? You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

I read Hillbilly Elegy, BTW, and it's excellent. All Booker has to do, is mention the title to a roomful of his Democrat base (who, most likely, didn't read it), and that, alone, will elicit titters and guffaws from his Democrat base, who do bash rural voters, red states, "flyover country," etc. on a regular basis. So let's not pussyfoot around. Booker is part of "the resistance," and he's condescending to travel to rural areas--on a "listening tour." Something tells me they won't be fooled.

Oh, and it's this kind of crapulence that got Trump elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 10:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
He's a registered Democrat last time I checked.
So, in your view, anyone registered as a Democrat is liberal? Trump was liberal almost all of his life? The majority of Americans are liberal? Seriously?

Quote:
So yes, Booker's praise of a book written by a Republican's inspirational story of hard work, self-reliance, and determination without Democratic handouts is highly ironic.
No, it isn't remotely ironic. You don't seem to understand the first things about Booker, Democrats, the book or irony.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So, in your view, anyone registered as a Democrat is liberal? Trump was liberal almost all of his life? The majority of Americans are liberal? Seriously?
I'm a libertarian, what does that have to do with Trump? Democrats are liberal, this isn't breaking news.

Quote:
No, it isn't remotely ironic. You don't seem to understand the first things about Booker, Democrats, the book or irony.
I would post the definition of irony but you would just ignore that too.

Let's hope Cory Booker gives us his review of Ben Carson's book too while he's admiring the conservative philosophies he opposes as a Democrat.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'm a libertarian, what does that have to do with Trump?
You support Trump. Your claimed political affiliation is irrelevant.
Quote:
I would post the definition of irony but you would just ignore that too.
Yes, I probably would ignore any made-up definition of irony.
Quote:
Let's hope Cory Booker gives us his review of Ben Carson's book too while his admiring the conservative philosophies he opposes as a Democrat.
Ben Carson is a deranged nutcase. Why would anyone with an ounce of decency review a book written by that clown?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Would someone please point out to me in the OP's link where Cory Booker is making fun of people who live in rural areas of the country? Much obliged.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM

A prominent Democrat praised the inspirational story of a Republican's hard work, self-reliance, and refusal of government handouts throughout his climb up the social ladder.

That's ironic.

Quote:
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
Irony | Define Irony at Dictionary.com

Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
You support Trump. Your claimed political affiliation is irrelevant.
I support libertarian and Trump is not a libertarian.
Quote:
Yes, I probably would ignore any made-up definition of irony.
We all trust dictionary.com over whatever definition you think you have.
Quote:
Ben Carson is a deranged nutcase. Why would anyone with an ounce of decency review a book written by that clown?
He's a black conservative world class neurosurgeon, successful author, and successful politician from poverty.

Your blatant racism and baseless claims are duly noted.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
A prominent Democrat praised the inspirational story of a Republican's hard work, self-reliance, and refusal of government handouts throughout his climb up the social ladder.

That's ironic.
No, it isn't. In fact it's the exact opposite.

Booker has a career of "hard work, self reliance and refusal of govt. handouts". None of those things are remotely contradictory to being a registered Dem.

I am not aware of any "don't work hard, don't be self reliant and you must accept govt. handouts" platform, by any party.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Too many urbanites have no grasp of the high value placed upon independence and self-reliance (albeit on a lower economic level), by rural Americans.

Three generations of my family operated a dairy farm. The pool of labor used at peak seasons gradually dried up, as the easy-to-get Unemployment check displaced the pressure to accept any work, however menial, exerted by the "Poor Districts" under the welfare system (yes, Snowflakes, there was one) which existed prior to 1936.

So the farmers who elected to stay (my Dad was one) mechanized, but that wasn't always enough, as sons, daughters and spouses found out they could earn almost as much, and be paid in hard cash, as opposed to non-(cash) paid work amid the risks a family farm. But the patriarch (you smug feminists can deride him as an "alpha male" if you wish) couldn't always stomach the humiliation of starting over past age 35 in the petty-politicized atmosphere of a low-wage "pink collar job ghetto". The next generation, for the most part, "bailed out' soon enough to escape the worst.

As Mr. Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) put it: "Don't criticize what to can't (or won't) understand".
Have you read the book in the OP? The people on this thread who’ve actually read the book have praised it. It’s about Mr Vance’s experience not yours.

“Humiliation”, discontent, resentment and foolish pride sounds like a personal problem to me. Survivors and successful people learn to adapt and overcome. Yearning for a past that isn’t coming back and blaming others for it is UNHEALTHY. Relying on sons, daughters and spouses for labor doesn’t sound very “self reliant” to me. Individuals have the right to live as they wish.

Honest work is honest work. Pink collar or not. I had three jobs at different times in college. One of them required me to clean toilets. I did it and I didn’t die. My people didn’t come out of the lucky sperm club. We’ve had to work for a living.

Please get over yourself.

Last edited by EDnurse; 05-17-2018 at 11:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I support libertarian and Trump is not a libertarian.
Can someone say logical reasoning fail? You support Trump. Your registered political affiliation is irrelevant.
Quote:
We all trust dictionary.com over whatever definition you think you have.
That's great you're now admitting you made everything up. Glad you finally get it.
Quote:
He's a black conservative world class neurosurgeon, successful author, and successful politician from poverty.
And a liar, thief, bigot, and complete nut.
Quote:
Your blatant racism and baseless claims are duly noted.
A Trump cultist calling others racist is pretty funny stuff. Just a tad projecting there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies