Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

A judge known for creative sentencing has ordered three Spanish-speaking men to learn English or go to jail.

The men, who faced prison for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, can remain on parole if they learn to read and write English, earn their GEDs and get full-time jobs, Luzerne County Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr.

FOXNews.com - Throw the Book at 'Em: Judge Sentences Three Men to Learn English or Go to Jail - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:50 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A judge known for creative sentencing has ordered three Spanish-speaking men to learn English or go to jail.

The men, who faced prison for criminal conspiracy to commit robbery, can remain on parole if they learn to read and write English, earn their GEDs and get full-time jobs, Luzerne County Judge Peter Paul Olszewski Jr.

FOXNews.com - Throw the Book at 'Em: Judge Sentences Three Men to Learn English or Go to Jail - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
This would make an interesting immigration forum thread.

No one should sentence you into doing things you already need to be doing. Learning english, getting a job, and getting educated are supposed to be natural. It is a sad day when a judge has to sentence you into becoming a decent citizen. I'd toss their behinds back in lockup if i was that judge.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I always thought judges should sentence kids to... the military that were uncontrollable..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM

626 posts, read 992,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This would make an interesting immigration forum thread.

No one should sentence you into doing things you already need to be doing. Learning english, getting a job, and getting educated are supposed to be natural. It is a sad day when a judge has to sentence you into becoming a decent citizen. I'd toss their behinds back in lockup if i was that judge.
I'm far from being a bleeding heart liberal, but our prison system is very damaging. It turns small-time criminals into something far worse. This needs to be avoided. Sending these men to prison would only ensure that they wouldn't turn their lives around. If they fail to live up to their obligations, then sure, toss them in a cell.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:03 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
I am a liberal (not a bleeding heart liberal), but I agree with you.

In the town where I live (in Florida, near Orlando), a 17 year old kid put a noose up in a tree, no doubt inspired by all the media publicity as of late in Missippi. The city and the black people who lived there are pressing charges and the city has vowed self-righteously to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law, and are charging him with assault and a hate crime. The NAACP has even gotten involved. This kid is still a minor, though, which means he shouldn't be held fully responsible for his actions. In addition, he has a home life that is deteriorating due to divorce, in a small middle-class subdivision. All the city is doing by prosecuting a minor so zealously in lieu of a more moderate punishment such as community service, is creating a future hardened criminal. The only thing that will come out of this is the city leaders will slap themselves on the back about doing a good job fighting a trivial injustice and ignore the real problems this city faces.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I always thought judges should sentence kids to... the military that were uncontrollable..
Contrary to popular belief, the military doesn't need, nor want, those types of people.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Trust me, the military has too many of those types of people. There are gangs, thugs, rapists, etc. all around.

Japan is still in lockdown almost 3 months after the last sexually aggressive act against a 14 year old female.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 AM

66 posts, read 81,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Trust me, the military has too many of those types of people. There are gangs, thugs, rapists, etc. all around.

Japan is still in lockdown almost 3 months after the last sexually aggressive act against a 14 year old female.
Are you in the military? What would lead us to believe we should trust you in this perception?

The military is certainly a wakeup call for a lot of young men but it's not designed to rehabilitate criminals. It's very easy to use criminal behavior in order to get out of the military so it's not particularly effective either.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
What a great judge! He is opening up a world beyond poverty and drug addiction for these men. I sincerely hope they take advantage of it.
I would like to know how long these young men have lived in the US, and just how is it that they still don't know the language? Either they are fooling the judge or the whole concept of ESL in our schools have given us yet another generation doomed to poverty.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I am a liberal (not a bleeding heart liberal), but I agree with you.

In the town where I live (in Florida, near Orlando), a 17 year old kid put a noose up in a tree, no doubt inspired by all the media publicity as of late in Missippi. The city and the black people who lived there are pressing charges and the city has vowed self-righteously to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law, and are charging him with assault and a hate crime. The NAACP has even gotten involved. This kid is still a minor, though, which means he shouldn't be held fully responsible for his actions. In addition, he has a home life that is deteriorating due to divorce, in a small middle-class subdivision. All the city is doing by prosecuting a minor so zealously in lieu of a more moderate punishment such as community service, is creating a future hardened criminal. The only thing that will come out of this is the city leaders will slap themselves on the back about doing a good job fighting a trivial injustice and ignore the real problems this city faces.
What did he do with the noose? Did he use it or just hang it there? How can he prosecuted for just hanging it in a tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies