Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

No vacations at all if that is what it comes to, or I take days off and stay home with my wife and we just ride our bikes every day instead of packing suitcases and getting on airplanes. Life in the adult world for people who don't print their own money is full of tradeoffs.
It's about setting priorities.

For many Americans, their priority is owning their own home. That has never been even a desire of mine. So, where you would trade traveling for your house, I "trade" (not really a sacrifice since I don't want it) homeownership for more discretionary spending money.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
It’s truly pathetic. I cannot imagine sitting around feeling victimized because I came from poverty as a child. It actually propelled me to strive for success.
It used to be that we looked up to successful people. Somehow in the last decade or two, it became PC to hate the wealthy and educated.
There should be something for everyone. Everyone cannot be wealthy. Those who are not cut out for great success do not deserve to struggle. I do not look up to the wealthy, I know there are all types of people which makes the world go around. I don't know where this blind spot came from that those who are not rich haven't tried hard enough and don't deserve basics. Maybe that attitude is why there is a backlash.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My one bedroom is $1,350/month, and only live with my fiance (who makes $13.81/hr at 40 hrs/week). I never needed a roommate when I lived on my own; but that was because I waited until I made enough to not need one before moving out on my own (took me until I was 30)
Wow. My kids are in their late 20s and have been on their own since college graduation. Combination of wise major choices, merit scholarships, part-time jobs during the school year, and paid summer internships ($25/hr) to offset any need for student loans.

One is a 3+2, 5-year total, dual program graduate (BS in Engineering plus an MBA), and the other has a BS in Business and Sociology and is in R&D client development.

Both have taken NO parental support in any form whatsoever since their early 20s.

Roadmap, people. Research... and MAKE one for yourself.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 AM

You know... Reading some of these sob stories, I can almost understand some of these "I should have had a plan decades ago and stuck to it" regrets. But honestly? If YOU blow it, it's no else's responsibility to PAY for that but YOUR OWN.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. My kids are in their late 20s and have been on their own since college graduation. Combination of wise major choices, merit scholarships, part-time jobs during the school year, and paid summer internships ($25/hr) to offset any need for student loans.

One is a 3+2, 5-year total, dual program graduate (BS in Engineering plus an MBA), and the other has a BS in Business and Sociology and is in R&D client development.

Both have taken NO parental support in any form whatsoever since their early 20s.

Roadmap, people. Research... and MAKE one for yourself.
Wow what, that I would have rather stayed at home than live with roommates that would probably clash with me, or lose their jobs and not pay their share of the rent? No thanks. Honestly, rooming with someone you don't know is very risky, it burned my dad when he was in his 20s. Had a roommate who lost his job three months into the lease and never found another one, forcing my dad to cover the whole rent for the next 9 months. Plus, I don't get along with strangers, I'm not a people person.

And people shouldn't have to move around and split up family and friends all the time as another point

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Wow what, that I would have rather stayed at home than live with roommates that would probably clash with me, or lose their jobs and not pay their share of the rent?
You preferred to be pampered instead of facing real life. I get that.
Quote:
And people shouldn't have to move around and split up family and friends all the time as another point
That happens all the time. You insist on being pampered. You're suffering losses because of that. Your choice to make, but DON'T complain about it. YOU chose your lesser lifestyle.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You preferred to be pampered instead of facing real life. I get that.

That happens all the time. You insist on being pampered. You're suffering losses because of that. Your choice to make, but DON'T complain about it. YOU chose your lesser lifestyle.
I'm not suffering losses these days. I make good money for the area I live in (in the top 30% of earners in Maricopa County) and have a good place to live which I pay for myself. I face real life.

And what lesser lifestyle? Just because I don't own a 10 bedroom estate on 100 acres of land doesn't mean I'm not living well

Again, what's wrong with not living with roommates if you never needed too? It's easier when life isn't hard, and I made decisions to ensure that. If I hadn't had the option to stay at home, then I would have had to do things differently, but got on my own once I was able.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
What % of folks should be able to afford a "Middle-class lifestyle"? If the middle class is the middle third, income wise, then the bottom third (33%) can't afford it more or less by definition.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
What % of folks should be able to afford a "Middle-class lifestyle"? If the middle class is the middle third, income wise, then the bottom third (33%) can't afford it more or less by definition.
The problem with that is it seems what is middle class changes every few years. With the exception of owning a home, the 1950s middle class family would be lower class today with the same living standard

Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not suffering losses these days.
Then why complain? Your choices are working for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies