Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 AM

14,011 posts, read 5,658,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The vast majority should be middle class, with a lower and upper end. That was the American dream, now it is apparently to be rich or you are screwed.
Link to where the "American Dream" was codified as you describe it?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,399,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What do you call it when Mommy and Daddy subsidize you until you're 30 years old?
Being a one-percenter?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Being a one-percenter?
Which is why 70% of the 1% lose their wealth by the 3rd generation and 90% by the 4th.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What do you call it when Mommy and Daddy subsidize you until you're 30 years old?

Get off your ass and EARN your own place.

Face it... You were too "delicate" to have to face the real world as millions of Americans do at even earlier ages. You're a hot house flower.
Nope. And like I said, it helped me to get where I am now as a solid member of the middle class.

My rent was only about $100/month less than a studio apartment would have been, but started as almost half my income, so I didn't meet income to rent requirements to lease anywhere. That was the closest thing to being subsidized.

I paid for everything I used or needed myself from what I made working.

In fact, I was urged not to move out when I did, as my family felt I could continue to save; but I was fully ready for my independence and in fact hated living at home the last part of my twenties.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Being a one-percenter?
No, it's called "Failure to Launch." /shrug

Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM

125 posts, read 85,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There should be something for everyone. Everyone cannot be wealthy. Those who are not cut out for great success do not deserve to struggle. I do not look up to the wealthy, I know there are all types of people which makes the world go around. I don't know where this blind spot came from that those who are not rich haven't tried hard enough and don't deserve basics. Maybe that attitude is why there is a backlash.
Because you are setting yourself up to be a victim and for failure with this attitude. It’s so pathetic! There should be something for anyone willing and able to work for it! This bleeding heat, poor me way of thinking is just so depressing.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
Because you are setting yourself up to be a victim and for failure with this attitude. It’s so pathetic! There should be something for anyone willing and able to work for it! This bleeding heat, poor me way of thinking is just so depressing.
What about those who do "work for it" and get the shaft? What do you have to say about them, as they do in fact exist?....

Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 AM

125 posts, read 85,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Nope. And like I said, it helped me to get where I am now as a solid member of the middle class.

My rent was only about $100/month less than a studio apartment would have been, but started as almost half my income, so I didn't meet income to rent requirements to lease anywhere. That was the closest thing to being subsidized.

I paid for everything I used or needed myself from what I made working.

In fact, I was urged not to move out when I did, as my family felt I could continue to save; but I was fully ready for my independence and in fact hated living at home the last part of my twenties.
If your parents didn’t encourage you to get the heck out and make a life, that’s a whole other issue, but it does explain a lot.

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because I care about people besides myself, and remember what it was like when I wasn't doing so good. I don't believe in the Calvinist/Puritan model of life where you constantly have to suffer and if you are happy, it means you're committing a sin.
Why don't you give them some of your own money?

At least, why don't you tell them that they can make a fabulous living somewhere else.

I personally lived and worked in many different countries, let along different areas. The only reason I haven't moved for a while because I can't find a place with better pay. I wouldn't mind doing a few years in Middle East, Asia, or Europe at all.

Why don't them?

8,886 posts, read 4,604,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The classes aren't neatly divided by thirds.
How do you define "middle class"? Some folks use fifths instead of thirds, etc. I used thirds because it is a broader definition of middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies