Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Notice this went to crickets?

Still awaiting the reasoning why we never hurt or killed anyone or got hurt or killed ourselves...
Probably because back then, parents would've had their kids' heads if they carelessly played with the guns.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-24-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
How fast that thing flies does in fact make a HUGE difference. .223 is a round meant for small critters, namely people. That's what it was designed for. I have one and I love shooting it but I sure wouldn't shoot a deer with it. Most critters, even pretty small ones like javelinas are too tough for it. We're nice and soft.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Right and you clearly don't understand what your seeing there. Caliber measures the distance across. You will notice that the AR-15 .223 is almost the same width as the .22 bullet.

You're picture is also incomplete.

What you're not seeing in your picture: the brass at the bottom is not the bullet. The bit above it is. The .223 is a bit longer. It has more powder. As I said it's a glorified .22
You can stop with the condenscending attitude. I am well aware of the various parts of a gun and ammo; I've probably reloaded more than most on this forum.

A center fire .223 is a completely different firearm then a rim fired .22. Don't try to snow those who may not know the issue, that's being dishonest.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You can stop with the condenscending attitude. I am well aware of the various parts of a gun and ammo; I've probably reloaded more than most on this forum.

A center fire .223 is a completely different firearm then a rim fired .22. Don't try to snow those who may not know the issue, that's being dishonest.
Why did you post the misleading picture then? I said glorified.22 and that is a fact. Bullet is about the same size. A lot more powder in the.223. The AR-15 .223 can kill people. Just about every other rifle is deadlier.

The gun control folks are constantly ragging on the AR-15. They are the ones saying, "Nobody needs a gun that powerful." You'd think you could kill God with it to hear then talk. The reality is the AR-15 is one of the most under-powered rifles you can buy. Sure you can kill people with it. You can kill people with a .22. But any serious hunting rifle or shotgun is a helluva lot more deadly.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:00 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The 2nd amendment doesn’t stop the government from offering a financial incentive for the populace to disarm

It’s voluntarily.

What criminals do doesn’t matter, the idea is to remove guns from the streets not sit back and let kids get slaughtered while saying “thoughts and prayers”

It worked for Australia, it will work for America
Australia's program was not voluntary.

And yes, what criminals do DOES matter. You'd rather leave citizens defenseless against criminals who are now armed, to stop the killing of a tiny percentage of kids?

Here's a news flash: that Australian gun grab might have stopped mass killings by shootings, but killings by other means (fire, beatings, vehicle) increased tremendously. So those school shootings will now become school fires. Or school bombings. Or school vehicle attacks. Because if evil lunatics want to kill, they will figure out a way to do so.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:29 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why did you post the misleading picture then? I said glorified.22 and that is a fact. Bullet is about the same size. A lot more powder in the.223. The AR-15 .223 can kill people. Just about every other rifle is deadlier.

The gun control folks are constantly ragging on the AR-15. They are the ones saying, "Nobody needs a gun that powerful." You'd think you could kill God with it to hear then talk. The reality is the AR-15 is one of the most under-powered rifles you can buy. Sure you can kill people with it. You can kill people with a .22. But any serious hunting rifle or shotgun is a helluva lot more deadly.
You are well aware that the issue is not the actual bullet size, but the rapid fire that is semi auto AR-15 with a 30 round magazine can produce. Of course shotguns can be more devastating in short range but there aren't many that can fire more than 5 at a time if you take the plug out.

You're snowing people if you're trying to deflect from those realities

Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You are well aware that the issue is not the actual bullet size, but the rapid fire that is semi auto AR-15 with a 30 round magazine can produce. Of course shotguns can be more devastating in short range but there aren't many that can fire more than 5 at a time if you take the plug out.

You're snowing people if you're trying to deflect from those realities
I'm not snowing anyone. An AR-15 is a glorified .22. It's a .223 so it's just .003 larger in caliber. It has more powder. It has a more typical rifle tip to the slug. But it's tiny compared to any serious hunting rifle.

You can rapidly fire just about any modern firearm and I think you know this. 30-06 rifles. .50 rifles. Shotguns. Revolvers. There are ways to rapidly reload all of them. You can fire a hundred rounds per minute from any modern firearm if you are properly prepared to do so. Many of rapid reload modifications are easy for any do-it-yourselfer, so you there is often nothing to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw&t=86s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89n-51foFqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkyEbrqNGw

Old 05-24-2018, 03:26 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
How fast that thing flies does in fact make a HUGE difference. .223 is a round meant for small critters, namely people. That's what it was designed for. I have one and I love shooting it but I sure wouldn't shoot a deer with it. Most critters, even pretty small ones like javelinas are too tough for it. We're nice and soft.

So, you shoot people? I mean, that's what you're saying...You say the .223 is for small critters...."namely people" so...you are evidently going to kill people....

Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
That's a defeatist way of looking at the issue. Sorry to hear that many Americans feel the need to purchase firearms b/c of another mass school shooting. It's akin to throwing gasoline on a fire. I wonder how many new deaths that will cause...
They don't buy firearms because of the mass shooting. They buy firearms because people scream for more gun control and they want to get theirs before a new law is put in place. It's just the truth.

I'm not one, but we've seen it so many times I don't know why people are surprised.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And if she'd ever had any sort of mental breakdown, she might've killed others (including you) or put a bullet through her head.

I do agree with teaching kids to respect guns, but I'm not a fan of allowing them unfettered access to weapons while they are underage and living in my home.

For all the stories like yours, there are so very many that started like this and ended differently.

Adam Lanza was sure trained to respect guns and knew how to use them. See how that turned out?

If....

Show me is.....

It is child abuse, not teaching your kids how to defend themselves and at what level to take against what's coming. Never ever underestimate your foe.

If you are free in society, you should be armed.
If you are too dangerous to have a firearm in society, you should not be walking freely in society.
It is your job to protect yourself. No one else, has to protect you. They can just convince you to be prey, for the predators.

I don't wear my seatbelt, because it is the law. I wore it before it was law, to keep me safer than without.
I am not mandated to keep a fire extinguisher in my garage and in the kitchen, but I have one in each location.

Crazy people, may not be as crazy as you think, if everyone was armed.
One thing for sure, there would be way less crazy, irrational people in the USA.

You want your utopia? More guns, not less guns is the solution.
The founding Fathers knew what they were doing, for the pursuit of happiness.

The people at the top, running this disarmament scam, are armed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies