Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 10:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I guess you are way older than me cause no one had guns in schools when I attended. Our kids are no different then kids in other countries. They all have the same issues. The difference is that kids in other countries don’t have access to guns like our kids do
Im 55 years old.
What changed between then and now? Why do kids suddenly feel ok about mass shootings? Why do kids suddenly not care, what shame they bring to their family?

We always had access to guns. To say otherwise is to be dishonest. To say we have more access today is not only dishonest but factually wrong.

So what changed? Parenting for one thing. A lack of discipline starting at home.

Other things have changed as well. Parents and others making excuses like it's the gun's fault. Reminds of those old commercials. "Don't let a good kid go bad, lock your doors." As if an unlocked door is the root cause for a kid to steal a car or break into a house.
The difference is parents who want to be the BFF. Parents who are afraid do discipline their children. Parents who refuse to see that their kids aren't perfect. Worse still parents who barely notice, that their own kids exist.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:08 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
https://www.consumerreports.org/pres...on-medication/

4.2 BILLION prescriptions written in the USA annually

4th leading cause of death in the USA

Over Prescribed America

APPROXIMATELY TWO MILLION of America's children are being dosed daily with amphetamines and amphetamine-like drugs like Ritalin and Adderall

Chemically Induced Compliance: The Drugging of Kids and Garbage Science in America

Ritalin and adderall are speed which most of us grew up with. And no prescription was needed....black beauties, white cross. What else? Blaming people taking this medication is a poor excuse and just making things up to try and justify shootings.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im 55 years old.
What changed between then and now? Why do kids suddenly feel ok about mass shootings? Why do kids suddenly not care, what shame they bring to their family?

We always had access to guns. To say otherwise is to be dishonest. To say we have more access today is not only dishonest but factually wrong.

So what changed? Parenting for one thing. A lack of discipline starting at home.

Other things have changed as well. Parents and others making excuses like it's the gun's fault. Reminds of those old commercials. "Don't let a good kid go bad, lock your doors." As if an unlocked door is the root cause for a kid to steal a car or break into a house.
The difference is parents who want to be the BFF. Parents who are afraid do discipline their children. Parents who refuse to see that their kids aren't perfect. Worse still parents who barely notice, that their own kids exist.
Parents who are idiots.

I'll add that to the list.

I don't beat my kids (never have) and they behave just fine (2 are already adults and one is almost 18). I'd say I'm friends with them, but I am their mother first and foremost. I TALK to my kids. I know what they are up to on social media and so forth. We spend time together. It's always been that way.

I also believe in gun safes.

What's going on now is that we actually have way more guns per person in the US.

So, we need to be mindful of how we store and handle them.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Im 55 years old.

Honestly, I think it’s more environmental. Haven’t you noticed that kids are developing at an earlier age now. Why is that?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Ritalin and adderall are speed which most of us grew up with. And no prescription was needed....black beauties, white cross. What else? Blaming people taking this medication is a poor excuse and just making things up to try and justify shootings.
I won't comment on the speed vs adder all or Ritalin. Im not a pharmacist or a doctor. One thing is obvious is that they are absolutely over prescribed. The USA by far prescribes these types of drugs more than our counterparts.

Once again, access to guns has gotten to be more difficult, not easier. So access to guns isn't the root cause. It's an issue, but not the root cause.
I am always late for work because my tire keeps going flat.
What is the root cause of always being late?
A lazy and inaccurate answer would be the tire always going flat.
Ask the questions
What changed?
What's different?
When did it start?
Where does it happen?

What is making the tire go flat? Find that answer and you have root cause. Solve the root cause to solve any problem.
Your answer of access to guns is not an honest nor accurate root cause. If you fail to answer the root cause your problem will manifest in other ways, means and areas. Take away the gun, introduce the bomb, knife and vehicle as the new weapon of mass murder.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I think it’s more environmental. Haven’t you noticed that kids are developing at an earlier age now. Why is that?
Because of TV and Media. I agree with you environment is a huge factor. lack go parenting is another. lack of discipline. lack of sense of community. Lack of family loyalty and pride.
Bad parents produce bad children. Not unlike bad dog owners produce bad dogs.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I won't comment on the speed vs adder all or Ritalin. Im not a pharmacist or a doctor. One thing is obvious is that they are absolutely over prescribed. The USA by far prescribes these types of drugs more than our counterparts.

Once again, access to guns has gotten to be more difficult, not easier. So access to guns isn't the root cause. It's an issue, but not the root cause.
I am always late for work because my tire keeps going flat.
What is the root cause of always being late?
A lazy and inaccurate answer would be the tire always going flat.
Ask the questions
What changed?
What's different?
When did it start?
Where does it happen?

What is making the tire go flat? Find that answer and you have root cause. Solve the root cause to solve any problem.
Your answer of access to guns is not an honest nor accurate root cause. If you fail to answer the root cause your problem will manifest in other ways, means and areas. Take away the gun, introduce the bomb, knife and vehicle as the new weapon of mass murder.
You have no idea if they are oversubscribed or not. And opioids are oversubscribed. That’s why we have an epidemic. Why not blame shootings on opioids. 🙄.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Here's an idea...

If your kid needs Ritalin due to an attention problem, maybe don't give him access to your guns?

Just a common sense approach.

Some kids do actually have attention issues. Some are clinically depressed, anxious, etc.

If your kid needs meds or if you feel for ANY reason that your kid might not handle guns with the utmost respect, do not give them access to your guns.

I'm still on team "charge the parents" because, at the end of the day, they tend to be the ones with guns lying around or in a place where these kids can access them.

I don't know about you, but if my kid was online behaving like theirs was, there is no way in hell I'd let him near my guns.

After all, look what happened to Adam Lanza's mother. She's dead.

And she thought she was teaching him how to use guns safely. A kid with DOCUMENTED mental problems.

Charge the parents. I bet more of them will start keeping a closer eye on their guns.
The problem is this is unenforceable. And what if the kid was dead at the end of the day? You think the police will charge the parents in that situation? I think not. They don’t charge most people who leave their kids to die in hot cars out of sympathy. They will do the same for these parents.

No, the answer is metal detectors. Merely having armed guards still means at least one person gets shot. Metal detectors will prevent them from coming in the door. I’m sure some wily kid will find a way to work around that too, but if they stop happening for a while, maybe it will just end the madness.

This is media driven. And some hackers should bug the hell out of all the websites on this stuff. There are kids obsessing about this right now, thinking of ways to outdo the last one.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
You have no idea if they are oversubscribed or not. And opioids are oversubscribed. That’s why we have an epidemic. Why not blame shootings on opioids. 🙄.
Why not blame shootings on people who are crazy and their shrinks who refuse to report a potential shooter.
Restrict those who are most at risk of going postal. Dont punish the masses for the acts of a few.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Parents who are idiots.

I'll add that to the list.

I don't beat my kids (never have) and they behave just fine (2 are already adults and one is almost 18). I'd say I'm friends with them, but I am their mother first and foremost. I TALK to my kids. I know what they are up to on social media and so forth. We spend time together. It's always been that way.

What's going on now is that we actually have way more guns per person in the US.

So, we need to be mindful of how we store and handle them.
I never beat mine either.
The number of guns isn't the issue.
It's how the adults store them, when they know or are in denial that their kid is a friggen nut job.

Im friends with both my kids, now that they are adults. I was the absolute law in my house though while they lived there. I gave them a ton of chores and didn't pay them a dime to do them. They got spending money from doing side jobs like cutting grass, working on the neighbor's farm etc. Basically raised them the same way I was raised, minus the beat downs. I was very creative in the punishments. I am fortunate both kids were pretty good. Both are doing well now.
My gut tells me the issue is a complete lack of family unity and loyalty. Lack of sense of community. Inability to cope with challenge. Not all kids but too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies