Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,899 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
i guess we all know what freedom means to you were more civilized over here and put safety infront of "freedom"
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Freedom: It means being FREE.
Nobody is free from their responsibility, so freedom is an illusion.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
that doesn't matter because freedom doesn't mean freedom to offend
Yes - freedom does mean, in the United States, the freedom to offend.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I was making fun of Tricky. I'm guessing that you probably already know that or mistook me for him.

But, yes, I agree with you. Freedom of speech applies to that which does not directly put people in harm ("Fire!" in a crowded movie theater and so on), direct calls for violence (mob bosses ordering hits, inciting riots, etc.), libel and slander (which should be handled in court).

Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You can ONLY sue IF, and its a BIG if - you can prove that you were financially harmed by the lie.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last Tuesday that Web loggers, website operators and e-mail list editors can't be held responsible for libel for information they republish, extending crucial First Amendment protections to do-it-yourself online publishers.
Ah, so there is also a difference if you are poor or rich?
No wonder big corporations with loads of money to back them up can easily spread propaganda (false information); they just shut up everyone who dares to disagree with them by threatening to sue them.
No wonder everyone loves to sue in America, you might become a millionaire.

Quote:
LoL, I bet you wouldn't dare to offend someone if he was aiming his gun at ya.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday Ah, so there is also a difference if you are poor or rich?
I bet you wouldn't dare to offend someone if he was aiming his gun at ya.
Nope - you are wrong on the first point.

On the second - I still have to the freedom to do as I wish.

In your country - you do not have the freedom to offend someone.

In the US - we do.

More freedom of speech in the US

Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
In your country - you do not have the freedom to offend someone.
We do, we just don't run to court as soon as it happens. Besides the fines are so small we often don't bother to sue someone.
Only when it becomes a matter of principle do we go to court.
Anywayz, our court has better things to do.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus I find it unfortunate, that people respond to propaganda with more propaganda.
Although I can understand it when Muslim find the movie insulting, you can only be insulted when you give those who use insults to provoke you the power to insult you.
I believe that Jesus' turning the other cheek is the right reaction, so communication is still possible.
The film just contains footage that is has already been shown on the internet and on television. What I find disturbing is that rather than address the content of the film, Muslims resort to threats and violence.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lucidus
Quote:
The film just contains footage that is has already been shown on the internet and on television. What I find disturbing is that rather than address the content of the film, Muslims resort to threats and violence.
How would the Christians feel when I make a movie where I depict Christians as mentally ill? I mean many serial killers believed themselves to be the new messiah.
Or portray all Christians as right-wing type of cultists who kill physicians that perform abortion, or believe that homosexuals are mentally ill, or that technology (even medical technology) should be avoided at all costs? That people should only put their faith in the Bible and kill everyone who claims otherwise?
Or that the Catholic Church is nothing but a bunch of child raping priests who pays off their victims with large amounts of money to keep their mouths shut?
I could even quote the Bible which explains why Christians behave in such a matter.

I take it that some Christians would not like the way I’ve portrayed the Christians in this movie, that they would even feel insulted by the movie?
It is not hard to make a movie that would contain images of the media which would spin it in such a way that Christians are only portrayed as child raping, killing lunatics.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 AM

564 posts, read 1,727,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I went to high school in Australia and one time in science class we were watching a video about genetics and the subject of eugenics came up on the video and it showed stock footage of Nazi experiments. These Lebanese-Australian guys (as in born and raised in Australia) started clapping and nudging each other and saying about how great that was. I was so disgusted, but the silver lining was this Shia Iraqi guy who was sitting with them shot them a dirty look, got up and walked over to another seat. Despite coming from the country a country where anti-Semitism is pretty much curriculum and was possibly an anti-Semite himself, he still was repulsed that someone could take pleasure in the Holocaust.
That's pretty surprising. I'd assume those Lebanese guys were Muslims? A lot of Lebanon's Christians are pro-Israel and have allied with them in the past.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus How would the Christians feel when I make a movie where I depict Christians as mentally ill? I mean many serial killers believed themselves to be the new messiah.
Or portray all Christians as right-wing type of cultists who kill physicians that perform abortion, or believe that homosexuals are mentally ill, or that technology (even medical technology) should be avoided at all costs? That people should only put their faith in the Bible and kill everyone who claims otherwise?
Or that the Catholic Church is nothing but a bunch of child raping priests who pays off their victims with large amounts of money to keep their mouths shut?
I could even quote the Bible which explains why Christians behave in such a matter.

I take it that some Christians would not like the way I’ve portrayed the Christians in this movie, that they would even feel insulted by the movie?
It is not hard to make a movie that would contain images of the media which would spin it in such a way that Christians are only portrayed as child raping, killing lunatics.
This thread isn't about Christians. It is about Muslims, or more specifically the Muslims who feel that they can murder and intimidate people living in free societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies