Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 12:49 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Putting fathers in prison over drugs, rather than helping them outside prison, so kids can have a father in the house hasn't help things either. But conservatives are quite strongly opposed to rehabbing as a solution to a drug problem. If you do the crime, you gotta do the time.
Liberals like to claim that drug laws unfairly target the black population, and that it is black men that are disproportionately in prison due to them. Black single parent households exist at a considerably higher rate (I believe about 2X) that of whites. Yet mass shooters are very rarely young black men. If there were any truth to your theory, mass shooters would be overwhelmingly black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have to wonder if that isn't a factor-but that perhaps we have cause and effect backwards. 50 years ago, boys got just as bored in class and were just as...impatient, as now. Thing is, when we got out of control, disrupted class or got in fights, we were sent to the principle's office. Where we were treated-with a wooden paddle on the backside. We were taught that there were consequences to our actions, and we learned discipline. Today, discipline and accountability are foreign concepts both for every school, and for a great many parents. Instead of disciplining our kids and teaching them that have actions have consequences, we drug them. Actual parenting and managing a classroom takes effort. Rather than making that effort-we resort to drugging these kids into dysfunctional drones. Those children never learned how to be responsible or accountable. And as they grow older, instead of disrupting the class, the get more and more out of control-especially when off their meds. The question...do the drugs cause the problem by altering children's brains-or do the parents and teachers cause the problem by not doing their job of RAISING and teaching kids, instead falling back on drugs to make their lives easier.
As a former teacher, there is too much permissiveness and spoiled kids who are out of control. They are never taught self control. You have to teach it to them and eventually they will know how to control themselves.
If you don't give them boundaries and teach them control, they feel lost and out of control, not a good feeling either. Out of control kids will do anything they want, including solving their problems by killing people.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:41 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No doubt, the intensity of the hatred and resentment people have toward others is strongly stepped up from what it was in the 1950s. Hate is more stronger than love than ever.
Encouraged by the media, political parties, and almost any action group, for almost any cause. Envy envy, want want want, hate hate hate.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
50 years ago you could spank your child’s arse these days taking away their cell phones is considered abuse. One call to DSS or family services your off to jail. These people have way too much power and kids today know it. It doesn’t help that some tend to think talking things out will work beat thier arse when they need it and maybe this stuff won’t happen so much.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:58 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Why can’t we accept the fact that some people are just born evil?

Old 05-19-2018, 04:05 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
These school shootings didn't used to happen fifty years ago (did it?). At least, FAR less than they do now. And I doubt it's simply because they are being "reported less".

Bullying took place in the 1960s as much as it does today.

What was going on in the 60s that is different (happening either more or less) than today?

I don't have a definitive answer that will answer all concerns. But one thing that's different (that affects schoolkids) is that in the 1960s, very few kids came home to an empty house. There was always a parent (usually a Mom) ready to give them a hug, ask them how their day was, give them a snack or whatever, etc. Almost always someone there to let them know the student was important to the parent, they cared about him etc.

Today, more and more families find that both parents must work and earn an income, to make ends meet. "Women's lib" has told women that they don't have to be "just a housewife" (even though that's a major job in is own right), but that it's right and proper that they should be an engineer, doctor, shoe clerk, assembly line worker or whatever. That is pretty much true, but is it a good idea to take both parents out of the house most of the day? If the Mom is working outside the house, should there then be a Dad at home? Or an aunt, uncle or etc.?

Plus, many more women are having babies with no father present, and raising them on their own without Daddy around. Some are because Daddy was a slime who ran off as soon as he found out about the pregnancy. In other cases, sometimes the women planned it that way, wanting her own child without the "inconvenience" of having to deal with a husband. There are also a few single fathers around with kids, but far fewer than single mothers. These single (for whatever reason) parents have to support themselves, obviously, and their child will likely come home to that empty house for a lot of their young lives.

I'm curious what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents absent when the kid comes home... both now, and over the years for the last 50 or so. Or to make it simpler, what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents working full-time outside the home?

As I said, that's likely not "the only cause" for the apparent increase in school shootings. But it could be a major contributor.

What other causes might there be?
Nobody is FORCING those women (or men) in those families to both work. Plenty of single wage earners make a good life from just one income. Those couples are motivated by greed and “keeping up with the Joneses” mentality.
Listening to crappy music might be another cause. Imagine not having good lyrical music to listen to and help you through your day.
Parents do not discipline like they used to and let their kids do too many things that we didn’t get away with.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:08 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Methylphenidate has been used safely in humans for seventy years, and it treats more than just ADHD. Please get a clue. Nobody is shooting up schools because they take a little Ritalin to facilitate focus.
Seems like you need the clue!

Ritalin has been shown to cause nervousness, anxiety, agitation and psychosis - add that to someone who's depressed and mad at the world and not thinking straight - and people will and have done things they normally wouldn't do had they not been on the medication.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1220013546.htm

Long-Term Side Effects of Ritalin

"Although short-term side effects of the drug have been studied, little is known about the long-term side effects of Ritalin use."

Shall I link more or can you google?

Old 05-19-2018, 04:10 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If guns were the problem, then the firearm violence rate would mimic the gun ownership rate...but it does not...

And I disagree, every country does not have the same mental health issues the US has, every country does not even have the same drug and non-firearm crime issues the US has.

And what is "easy access"? In this shooting, would the father have been denied a firearm if the family lived in the UK? In Finland?

Thanks to the NRA, Americans now have well over 300 million guns stockpiled somewhere in their possession. It would appear that everyone and their grandmother has gun or two.

Guns are far to readily available and accessible to those completely irresponsible!

Some segments of our society can't handle their emotions. They have volatile temperaments. Far too many times, a gun is the first item they think about for conflict resolution. They therefore, simply access a firearm and deal with the subsequent consequences later.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nothing. Methylphenidate is a short-acting drug. In its basic form, the therapeutic effect lasts about four hours, which is why students who do not use the extended-release formula receive a second dose in the middle of the school day. People go on and off it according to their needs. Many students take it only on weekdays during the school year with no ill effect, including my son. Drugs for mental illnesses like depression are different. Stopping SSRIs abruptly can lead to psychosis. But again, Ritalin is not one of those drugs, and it makes me very angry to see children who use it characterized as potential mass murderers. That's not the case.
Please quit repeating this nonsense! There have not been enough studies to validate what you are saying. I'm in the medical field - I've talked to these reps - what the doctor will tell you today does not mean there are no long term effects down the road - aerosols, asbestos, mesh implants, Thalidomide, Ritodrine and many others were thought safe.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:15 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
+1

^^^This^^^

Also, we must not forget the fact that besides human beings possessing the universal properties of egotism, hatred, and ignorance, we also have an innate propensity for aggression and violence.

We as Americans seem to have an insatiable thirst for violence in particular, eventhough we boast about our humanity, freedoms, and the luxury of living in a highly civilized society....
Well, there is what I noted in this thread (about how L&O: SVU gets it 20th season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Glad to know I was correct. Personally, I don't watch the show unless I have to in order to be polite company. I think the last episode I saw was back in 2010ish where Christopher Meloni was undercover as a rapist, the crook was giving him a teen in a van to violate, and he got out of it by saying he needed privacy, he didn't like doing it in front of others. I may not watch the show but I do remember, even if on one pass.

As I said, I think a show centered on sexual violence as entertainment is wrong and I don't watch it.

I guess, however, the country has no problem with that and I will leave it there......with all the impact that has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
........Listening to crappy music might be another cause. Imagine not having good lyrical music to listen to and help you through your day.
Parents do not discipline like they used to and let their kids do too many things that we didn’t get away with.
While I wouldn't call it crappy music, I did stop listening to She-Daisy and never really picked it back up.

Why?

Because many of their songs was about taking the law into one's own hands and taking revenge, like "A Night To Remember".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-19-2018 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies