Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The most common trait among the shooters is they are white males and they were bullied. Take it for what its worth.

A portion had mental illness. A portion came from broken homes.

I don't think anyone has the answer yet.
Kids / people with serious emerging mental illness don’t fit in and have been bullied since forever. This certainly is not limited to the US.

Most mass shooters have displayed the ability to carefully plan the big event. While seriously mentally ill, they are competent. The most recent mass shooter comes from a small town where everyone knows everyone. 50+ years ago he would not have had the ability to easily access hateful ideologies, intimate knowledge of mad men who came before, violent desentisizing video games and online influencers. And most of the households had or permitted guns in their household. It’s an overwhelming proposition for someone experiencing emerging and serious mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 07:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Putting fathers in prison over drugs, rather than helping them outside prison, so kids can have a father in the house hasn't help things either. But conservatives are quite strongly opposed to rehabbing as a solution to a drug problem. If you do the crime, you gotta do the time.
How about closing the border, reducing their ability to get drugs in the country so they have a harder time getting it in the first place. Oh yes, we know it comes in other ways but every little thing helps. It's not a one thing answer.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But let's throw the other side of the coin into that. How many, what percentage of those who live like that do not turn into shooters? What is the confounding variable.

Okay, granted I am not male, but I am white and I was relentlessly picked on till about 28. Why haven't I snapped?

There have to be other factors.
You do not seem to demonstrate symptoms of an emerging biological serious mental illness.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:25 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Threads like these prove that the primary motivation of Trump supporters is desire to return to a world where women are in the kitchen, gays are in the closet, dark-skinned people stay on their side of the tracks out of sight and out of mind, everyone went to church on Sunday, and white men had the final say on everything.
What is your malfunction?

Old 05-19-2018, 07:27 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
These school shootings didn't used to happen fifty years ago (did it?). At least, FAR less than they do now. And I doubt it's simply because they are being "reported less".

Bullying took place in the 1960s as much as it does today.

What was going on in the 60s that is different (happening either more or less) than today?

I don't have a definitive answer that will answer all concerns. But one thing that's different (that affects schoolkids) is that in the 1960s, very few kids came home to an empty house. There was always a parent (usually a Mom) ready to give them a hug, ask them how their day was, give them a snack or whatever, etc. Almost always someone there to let them know the student was important to the parent, they cared about him etc.

Today, more and more families find that both parents must work and earn an income, to make ends meet. "Women's lib" has told women that they don't have to be "just a housewife" (even though that's a major job in is own right), but that it's right and proper that they should be an engineer, doctor, shoe clerk, assembly line worker or whatever. That is pretty much true, but is it a good idea to take both parents out of the house most of the day? If the Mom is working outside the house, should there then be a Dad at home? Or an aunt, uncle or etc.?

Plus, many more women are having babies with no father present, and raising them on their own without Daddy around. Some are because Daddy was a slime who ran off as soon as he found out about the pregnancy. In other cases, sometimes the women planned it that way, wanting her own child without the "inconvenience" of having to deal with a husband. There are also a few single fathers around with kids, but far fewer than single mothers. These single (for whatever reason) parents have to support themselves, obviously, and their child will likely come home to that empty house for a lot of their young lives.

I'm curious what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents absent when the kid comes home... both now, and over the years for the last 50 or so. Or to make it simpler, what percentage of homes with school-age kids, have both parents working full-time outside the home?

As I said, that's likely not "the only cause" for the apparent increase in school shootings. But it could be a major contributor.

What other causes might there be?
Media exposure and trying to become famous!

Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
So rather than physical, you would rather induce psychological pain.
I did not inflict psychological pain upon my children. I allowed them to experience natural consequences for their misdeeds, which meant I did not rescue them when they brought emotional pain upon themselves. I also held them accountable for making amends when the situation required it.

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No doubt, the intensity of the hatred and resentment people have toward others is strongly stepped up from what it was in the 1950s. Hate is more stronger than love than ever.
CNN, MSNBC, other liberal media is a perfect example of increasing the intensity of hatred towards others. And yet you and the rest of the left think banning guns is the solution. Liberals will never solve or reduce crime or violence because their only suggestion is always one that won't do anything about the source of the problem.

9,742 posts, read 4,490,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Kids / people with serious emerging mental illness don’t fit in and have been bullied since forever. This certainly is not limited to the US.

Most mass shooters have displayed the ability to carefully plan the big event. While seriously mentally ill, they are competent. The most recent mass shooter comes from a small town where everyone knows everyone. 50+ years ago he would not have had the ability to easily access hateful ideologies, intimate knowledge of mad men who came before, violent desentisizing video games and online influencers. And most of the households had or permitted guns in their household. It’s an overwhelming proposition for someone experiencing emerging and serious mental illness.
Mental illness is indeed an issue and part of the problem but not the whole problem. Research shows that 60% of the mass murder cases was the perpetrator mentally ill. So there are still gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One's moral compass? It's been compared that I have a moral code like Batman or perhaps that the moral code I hold myself to I do not compel others to do the same.

In one aspect of that, I am very romantic, seeing things from a higher plane....I guess.

I don't know, maybe it is just that I am willing to see things from many points of view.

Once again, maybe that's our TV and entertainment at work against us. Remember the ST:TOS "Time's Arrow, Pt 1"? Picard asks Data why the android head they have in possession is not Lore's. Data provides the engineering details that it is not Lore's head but Data's. What the next question, in that kind of world, should have been, "Alright, Mr. Data, present me with arguments that eliminate any other possibilities such as there being a 3rd one of you.". That question is not asked, however, and they proceed with the story.

Works in their world, in that story, but does it teach us to have a limited vision when we approach problems? TV should not be our teacher but our entertainer but do we learn how to think, how to interact from it?
US movies, TV shows and viseo games are top exports to the rest of the world.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Social media didn't exist
Crime tended to be a local issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies