Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I do agree that when a gun is present in a home that gun should be locked up or at least have a trigger guard on it so people that do not know how to safely handle that gun cannot use it.
My grandfather had several firearms hanging on the wall on open gun racks. 6 kids, including my dad... never an issue. 13 grandkids, including me... never a problem, either. It was simply UNDERSTOOD that you didn't touch them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
My grandfather had several firearms hanging on the wall on open gun racks. 6 kids, including my dad... never an issue. 13 grandkids, including me... never a problem, either. It was simply UNDERSTOOD that you didn't touch them.
Anecdote is not fact.

I used to own a business installing fireplaces and wood stoves and other dangerous HVAC stuff. Customers often came in and insisted we do thing wrong....run stovepipe through the window, use stovepipe instead of chimney, etc.

When we told them they were going to burn their houses down, they said "heck, we lived out in rural timbucktoo our whole lives and everyone had stovepipe running out their windows"....

Our answer? Yep, we believe you. But back in yonder days there was no TV so you didn't hear when some family was burned up two hollows over.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Yes worth repeating anecdote is not fact.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
How about Mormons who claim a guy found gold tablets in a NY state field that only he could see - which he translated to mean he could have the pick of the litter of young women? Does that have a lot in common with "my tribe"??
Heck, I'm a Mormon and that doesn't even have a whole lot in common with my tribe.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Oh really?
This should be implemented on a national level.

I remember vividly when Kendra Webdale was pushed off the subway platform because she looked just like a woman who had spurned Andrew Goldstein's advances. Scared the crap out of me because I was in NYC on a weekly basis doing stuff for school, and taking the subway.
How many 10's of thousands of "enforcement" officers would need to be hired, trained and paid in an attempt to implement such policies?

I have a number of folks in my extended family in the social services and as it stands now it's almost impossible to keep up with the case loads...

As we used to say in our youth "the space people are not going to come down and save us from ourselves" - in other words, we have to do it ourselves. If our culture or society is making more people sick than in some other cultures, we need to look at those things and reduce the overall rates. We have unlocked the Genome and we are currently studying that as a way to mitigate mental illness.

But we must face reality. Many many centuries ago, Buddha said "Life is Suffering". This was before Video Games, TV, Movies and AR-15's. Life creates mental illness (just ask the VA).

Many of the current medications aren't even fully studied. For example, Prozac and other SSRI's (millions take them daily) were never studied for decades-long use, just for short periods. But now people take them their entire lives.

Look at all these recent studies showing plastics in EVERYTHING. Drugs are found in rivers due to runoff from sewage. Air pollution, radiation, lead paint and so many other things might react with our bodies and brains.

But what is our response? "Get rid of these costly regulations" (a cheer goes up)....we are living in backwards and bizzarro world. One can only hope we eventually come to our senses.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Heck, I'm a Mormon and that doesn't even have a whole lot in common with my tribe.
Yet that's the founding story. Very recent history.

Heck, I'm a Jew (well, some might say) and I know Moses never existed and the Pyramids were built by working class Egyptians.

Religions often end up being "communities" more than true believers in the tales of the founding. Modern people take the good and cast out the bad, thereby establishing a decent moral code that works. If Mormons were shooting up schools big time we might complain - but they are not.

I am pissed that Jetblue upped their prices so high, tho!
:-)

Old 05-19-2018, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I wonder if the fact these kids are products of Generation X has anything to do with it?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:12 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I wonder if the fact these kids are products of Generation X has anything to do with it?
Seriously? Pray tell, what did we do wrong? Enlighten us.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 AM

587 posts, read 304,925 times
The Schools are 1000% responsible.. THEY HAVE FAILED TO PROVIDE A SAFE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT..
The problems are originating inside the schools and thats why the shooters go there in the 1st place..
2nd The entire Nation has been warning the school districts thats they need to install METAL DETECTORS and provide an armed security guard service ..
Sue Sue Sue the school superintendent...
THEY ARE ALL FULLY NEGLIGENT AND CRIMIALLY LIABLE

Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yet that's the founding story. Very recent history.
Yeah, well it's one version of it. A little bit of fact, a little bit of embellishment and myth.

Quote:
Religions often end up being "communities" more than true believers in the tales of the founding. Modern people take the good and cast out the bad, thereby establishing a decent moral code that works. If Mormons were shooting up schools big time we might complain - but they are not.
True. We don't even have a meltdown when people create successful Broadway musicals mocking us. Our response is to put full-page ads in the playbill. And, yes, I've seen it and it was funny.

Quote:
I am pissed that Jetblue upped their prices so high, tho!
Yeah, that kind of sucks. I used to fly JetBlue whenever I was flying from Salt Lake to NYC. It was a red-eye flight and quite reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies