Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...-them-n2481027

Seems like Democrats intend to win by bashing rural America.

I wonder how their rural bashing strategy is going to do in November. Especially the large rural populations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and other former swing states.

I wonder why a senator who represents this and was mayor of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs4UTT-hc0

Newark, NJ

mocks this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiW-ElkBoQ

Pella, Iowa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOX9jZHPGM

Kearney, Nebraska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
“I read books like Hillbilly Elegy and everything I can to try to understand other folks, and when I read books like that, I’m thinking to myself ‘oh my God, these folks have so much in common with folks that live in my neighborhood.’”
In what redneck Bizarro-world alternate universe does that come across as... uh... "bashing?"

Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,141 times
OP, your link makes you a liar.

Go back through the article, line by line and quote where Booker is bashing rural communities.

I'll wait...

Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Have you read the book?

I have. Most of it takes place in cities, not the rural country, as lots of hillbillies now live in cities. The author believes that being forced to leave their old farms caused many of the problems that afflict them now.

It's not where they live, it's how they live. The hillbillies have the same troubles now wherever they live. The problems aren't confined to one region, only cities, only the country, or even to their financial situation.

It is an illuminating book that dives deeply into a culture that has some very serious internal conflicts going on within it.

The author, J.D. Vance, is as conservative as they come, and the book is not a political treatise. In fact, there is very little mention of politics in it. It's a story of his family, a study of the events, culture, and circumstances that made them what they all became, and how all that stuff also happened to everyone else they knew or were related to.

It's also a study of how one group can cause more change in our society than we, or they, realize.

Vance has seen it all from the very bottom to the very top of the social pile. There are lots of lessons that can be drawn from his book for everyone. And it's a very good read.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...-them-n2481027

Seems like Democrats intend to win by bashing rural America.

I wonder how their rural bashing strategy is going to do in November. Especially the large rural populations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and other former swing states.

I wonder why a senator who represents this and was mayor of this.

Kearney, Nebraska

Another fake news post.

Why do you constantly post this kind of stuff?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Cory booker will never get my vote.

That said, the OP is a straight up lie. There's no "bashing" going on whatsoever.

Last edited by turkey-head; 05-17-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
“ Hillbilly Elegy” is the name of a best seller book about the culture of Appalachia and migration.
You can leave Appalachia, but the culture tends to stick.

The author’s people hail from Appalachia and migrated to the factories in Ohio.

Nothing off about reading a book about a different culture. Not quite the same thing as posting a link that does not support the sensational thread headline.

It’s an excellent read.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 05-17-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
I don't usually comment on threads like this, but cory booker is in contention for the dumbest person in the senate.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Cory booker will never get my vote.

That said, the OP is a straight up lie. There's no "bashing" going on whatsoever.
Ivanka and Jared we’re fund raisers for Booker’s run for the Senate. You will never hear a bad word out of Booker’s mouth about Ivanka and Jared.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Some Democrats do bash rural America. This is not a good example, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies