Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You make zero sense.

Someone said that a fire would be just as effective in these school mass shootings because in 1990....

But the thing is, all those people died in 1990 because the building was not up to code, only had one entry/exit point, no fire escape, etc... There were a lot of factors that went into that fire being so deadly. If a fire was set at a school, you wouldn't have anywhere near the same outcome.

And nothing I'm saying takes away from the horrors that happened at Pulse Night Club, the Route 91 Harvest music festival, or anywhere else. I was just specifically talking about mass killings at schools in that post.
You're the one that brought up the fact that it wasn't a school. I'm just trying to figure out what difference that makes in the greater scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
They?? The ubiquitous, ever present they!
Some dude gets pissed..writes an article..and all of a sudden he speaks for 200+ million people?

C'mon man!

The 2nd amendment is not is danger. The fact that the NRA has sold this false claim to credulous Righties is one of the greatest boondoggles in modern times.

They...sheesh! SMH.
Eric Swalwell Unloads Gun Platform ... - The Daily Caller
dailycaller.com/2018/05/03/eric-swalwell-gun-control...
May 02, 2018 · Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell of California wants to ban assault weapons, instate a federal gun buy-back program for those who own them and criminally prosecute those who refuse to hand them over. The representative wrote an op-ed in USA Today Thursday rolling out what he feels is the gun control ...

Opinion | John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment
www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul...
Mar 26, 2018 · This weekend’s marches make it clear: To enact real gun control, we need to change the Constitution.

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe." "If I had the votes it would be Mr. and Mrs. Americas turn them all in."--- Dianne Feinstein

Obama to ban bullets by executive action, threatens top ...
www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-to-ban-bullets...
As promised, President Obama is using executive actions to impose gun control on the nation, targeting the top-selling rifle in the country, the AR-15 style semi-automatic, with a ban on one of the most-used AR bullets by sportsmen and target shooters. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ...
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/dianne_feinstein

Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has also joined the fight to ban semi-automatic weapons, saying last week: “Weapons of war have no place on our streets."

Hillary Clinton Says A National Gun Buyback Program Is 'Worth ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-gun...
Oct 15, 2015 · Australia’s mandatory gun buyback ... the real goal of gun control supporters is gun confiscation" ... Hillary Clinton Says A National Gun Buyback ...

Hand over your weapons - The Boston Globe
www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/11/10/hand-over...
“The time is now,” said Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy, ... The Australian gun ... An NRA article on the specter of Australian-style confiscation coming to ...

Fmr. Obama Senior Adviser Calls for Gun Confiscation ‘Similar ...
freebeacon.com/...senior-adviser-gun-confiscation-australia
Dan Pfeiffer, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama, called for the United States to implement an Australian-style gun confiscation program in an article published Wednesday.

CT Blumenthal Takes First Step Towards Fed Gun Confiscation ...
lerant.proboards.com › THE RANT
Connecticut U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal called for a federal ... Now this Blumenthal has decided to incrementally remove the power of gun confiscation from the ...

NY Governor Cuomo on guns: 'Confiscation could be an option'
www.bizpacreview.com/2012/12/22/ny-governor...
In an interview conducted Thursday on WGDJ-AM, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he will propose gun control legislation in the 2013 session, and everything will be on the table — up to and including outright confiscation of weapons.

Bernie Sanders Calls for Sweeping Gun Ban That Would Outlaw ...
truthinmedia.com/bernie-sanders-calls-for-sweeping-gun...
Senator Bernie Sanders, ... Bernie Sanders Calls for Sweeping Gun Ban That Would Outlaw All Self-Defense Firearms. ... Are Gun Confiscation Laws Trampling Your Civil ...

Kerry Signs UN Arms Trade Treaty - The New American
www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/...
Kerry Signs UN Arms Trade Treaty — Civilian Disarmament ... Kerry, Obama, and the UN consider gun owners ... John Kerry and Barack Obama, the confiscation of ...

Kamala Harris On Monday, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) said on Power 105.1 FM's "The Breakfast Club" that she wanted to help get people elected during the 2018 midterms who possessed "the courage" to push for more gun confiscation "laws."

NAACP Calls For Gun Confiscation | The Daily Caller
dailycaller.com/2018/03/06/naacp-gun-confiscation
Mar 05, 2018 · NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson called for a national gun confiscation program in a syndicated column ... Alveda King Crushes Maxine Waters: ...

Sen. Murphy Reveals Anti-Second Amendment “Slippery Slope ...
gunsinthenews.com › Commentary
ABC recently aired an interview between anti-gun Senator Chris Murphy ... Incremental gun confiscation has been ... Sen. Murphy Reveals Anti-Second Amendment ...

Quote:
This truly astonishing list of those who have voted for every gun control/ban bill to come up for a vote, and who have sponsored or cosponsored more than 7,000 gun ban bill in the last 24 months was a result of the Democratic sweep of 2010, when the Democrats and the media conspired to give the ANTI-Party control of government.

Baldwin, Tammy – (D – WI) Class I

Brown, Sherrod – (D – OH) Class I

Cantwell, Maria – (D – WA) Class I

Cardin, Benjamin L. – (D – MD) Class I

Carper, Thomas R. – (D – DE) Class I

Casey, Robert P., Jr. – (D – PA) Class I

Donnelly, Joe – (D – IN) Class I

Feinstein, Dianne – (D – CA) Class I

Gillibrand, Kirsten E. – (D – NY) Class I

Heinrich, Martin – (D – NM) Class I

Heitkamp, Heidi – (D – ND) Class I

Hirono, Mazie K. – (D – HI) Class I

Kaine, Tim – (D – VA) Class I

King, Angus S., Jr. – (I – ME) Class I

Klobuchar, Amy – (D – MN) Class I

Manchin, Joe, III – (D – WV) Class I

McCaskill, Claire – (D – MO) Class I

Menendez, Robert – (D – NJ) Class I

Murphy, Christopher – (D – CT) Class I

Nelson, Bill – (D – FL) Class I

Sanders, Bernard – (I – VT) Class I

Stabenow, Debbie – (D – MI) Class I

Tester, Jon – (D – MT) Class I

Warren, Elizabeth – (D – MA) Class I

Whitehouse, Sheldon – (D – RI) Class I

List Of Anti-Gun Senators Who Must Run Or Retiree In 2018 | Extrano's Alley
C'mon man!...sheesh! SMH You must really think we are that stupid?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You're the one that brought up the fact that it wasn't a school. I'm just trying to figure out what difference that makes in the greater scheme of things.
Because school shootings typically happen at a school...

Hence the word "school" in school shooting.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Eric Swalwell Unloads Gun Platform ... - The Daily Caller
dailycaller.com/2018/05/03/eric-swalwell-gun-control...
May 02, 2018 · Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell of California wants to ban assault weapons, instate a federal gun buy-back program for those who own them and criminally prosecute those who refuse to hand them over. The representative wrote an op-ed in USA Today Thursday rolling out what he feels is the gun control ...

Opinion | John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment
www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul...
Mar 26, 2018 · This weekend’s marches make it clear: To enact real gun control, we need to change the Constitution.

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe." "If I had the votes it would be Mr. and Mrs. Americas turn them all in."--- Dianne Feinstein

Obama to ban bullets by executive action, threatens top ...
www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-to-ban-bullets...
As promised, President Obama is using executive actions to impose gun control on the nation, targeting the top-selling rifle in the country, the AR-15 style semi-automatic, with a ban on one of the most-used AR bullets by sportsmen and target shooters. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ...
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/dianne_feinstein

Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has also joined the fight to ban semi-automatic weapons, saying last week: “Weapons of war have no place on our streets."

Hillary Clinton Says A National Gun Buyback Program Is 'Worth ...
www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-gun...
Oct 15, 2015 · Australia’s mandatory gun buyback ... the real goal of gun control supporters is gun confiscation" ... Hillary Clinton Says A National Gun Buyback ...

Hand over your weapons - The Boston Globe
www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/11/10/hand-over...
“The time is now,” said Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy, ... The Australian gun ... An NRA article on the specter of Australian-style confiscation coming to ...

Fmr. Obama Senior Adviser Calls for Gun Confiscation ‘Similar ...
freebeacon.com/...senior-adviser-gun-confiscation-australia
Dan Pfeiffer, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama, called for the United States to implement an Australian-style gun confiscation program in an article published Wednesday.

CT Blumenthal Takes First Step Towards Fed Gun Confiscation ...
lerant.proboards.com › THE RANT
Connecticut U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal called for a federal ... Now this Blumenthal has decided to incrementally remove the power of gun confiscation from the ...

NY Governor Cuomo on guns: 'Confiscation could be an option'
www.bizpacreview.com/2012/12/22/ny-governor...
In an interview conducted Thursday on WGDJ-AM, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he will propose gun control legislation in the 2013 session, and everything will be on the table — up to and including outright confiscation of weapons.

Bernie Sanders Calls for Sweeping Gun Ban That Would Outlaw ...
truthinmedia.com/bernie-sanders-calls-for-sweeping-gun...
Senator Bernie Sanders, ... Bernie Sanders Calls for Sweeping Gun Ban That Would Outlaw All Self-Defense Firearms. ... Are Gun Confiscation Laws Trampling Your Civil ...

Kerry Signs UN Arms Trade Treaty - The New American
www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/...
Kerry Signs UN Arms Trade Treaty — Civilian Disarmament ... Kerry, Obama, and the UN consider gun owners ... John Kerry and Barack Obama, the confiscation of ...

Kamala Harris On Monday, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) said on Power 105.1 FM's "The Breakfast Club" that she wanted to help get people elected during the 2018 midterms who possessed "the courage" to push for more gun confiscation "laws."

NAACP Calls For Gun Confiscation | The Daily Caller
dailycaller.com/2018/03/06/naacp-gun-confiscation
Mar 05, 2018 · NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson called for a national gun confiscation program in a syndicated column ... Alveda King Crushes Maxine Waters: ...

Sen. Murphy Reveals Anti-Second Amendment “Slippery Slope ...
gunsinthenews.com › Commentary
ABC recently aired an interview between anti-gun Senator Chris Murphy ... Incremental gun confiscation has been ... Sen. Murphy Reveals Anti-Second Amendment ...

C'mon man!...sheesh! SMH You must really think we are that stupid?

Well as to THAT..I'll remain silent.

But...a few cherry picked activists..is not indicative of the whole country..or most Democrats, for that matter. the 2nd is not in danger..and never has been. When you show me the successful petitions for a new amendment to repeal the 2nd..when you can show me a SCOTUS decision that states that Americans cannot bear arms..then I might buy into the madness.

For now..my position is that gun control..does not equal the 'slippery slope' so beloved of NRA aficionados.

Because someone has an extreme position does not mean they have a chance in heII of implementing it.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I wonder about those who ridicule gun owners saying " You think your guns will stop the government from taking them? The government would bomb you and send an army to wipe you out.", and then call gun owners paranoid.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Yes, but a fire set at a school is not going to have anywhere near the same death toll as an illegal night club. If the goal is to kill as many people as possible, starting a fire wouldn't be a very good option.
You don't know that.

Much would probably depend on if an accelerant is used.
You seem to think that all school buildings had just recently been built and have all of the bells and whistles, that actually work.

"Two-thirds of schools in Oregon's largest district lack smoke detectors, modern alarms, sprinkler systems or other critical fire safety equipment, The Oregonian/OregonLive has found."
Fire risks: Most Portland schools lack sprinklers, need better alarms | OregonLive.com

"Three years before a fire ravaged San Jose’s Trace Elementary this week, the school underwent a major remodel to upgrade classrooms and expand space. But the $3 million renovation didn’t include a safety feature that fire officials have long sought California to require in classrooms: automatic fire sprinklers.

And when the school is rebuilt this summer, school officials probably won’t include sprinklers this time either.

That’s because state codes that require fire sprinklers in new schools — and starting Jan. 1, in new homes — for the most part don’t apply to existing schools or even to brand-new buildings on old campuses."
https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/07/...re-sprinklers/

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM

A few years ago I wouldn't have thought it possible for one lone person in a vehicle to run over and kill 84 people and injure more than 450 others, on an open roadway, where people can run off the roadway, and with shops, etc., lining the road that they could run into or hide behind. But, unfortunately it happened.

Killers will always find a way to kill.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You don't know that.
Yes, actually I do.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, actually I do.
Now you think you have super powers and know the future...

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one wants your pea-shooter. Perish the thought.

You guys are entirely too impressed with your gun collections that no one wants.
I thought AR15s are military grade weapons of mass destruction. Now they are only peashooters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies