Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:17 PM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is easy.

They're armed and your kid isn't. You were told and mandated to raise prey for the predators.

My kid was armed at school from the age of 16,(Sophomore) with her own .38 special.

No one had to know and now in college, she has not called me to let me know, someone knows.
You raise your kids and I will raise mine!
At least I taught mine to have a chance.
Are you serious!?! I think that’s crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 AM

11,103 posts, read 10,659,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
While I wouldn't hand a 16-year-old a firearm and tell her to carry it to school, I actually understand where the poster is coming from. My daughters have been taught basic self-defense since they were old enough to go places without me, and we are now moving into full martial arts training. One of the main things that I teach them is that there is no such thing as being defenseless as long as you can still move. Every object is a weapon if it needs to be.

They have also been taught the non-aggression principle, and know that the consequences for them being the aggressor in any situation will be dire.

Why have I taught them this? Because personal safety is exactly that: personal. It isn't anybody else's job to guarantee your safety. The police have no requirement to protect you, nor does anyone else. It can be hoped that in an emergency other people will come to your aid but in reality, you are on your own. There are only two people in my children's lives that they know for certain will protect them, and their mother and I aren't always around.

Having said that I wouldn't hand my 16-year-old a firearm and have her carry it to school, both of my daughters know how to handle a firearm - and they aren't 16 yet. They know the proper way to handle, clean, and store a firearm. They know to never touch a firearm that isn't specifically handed to them by a trusted adult unless it is a true emergency. They know what a true emergency is, as well. While some people may consider this over the top, I'm a firm believer in self-reliance. I refuse to raise my children to be victims of anyone.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times
Quote:
Explain to everyone here why it's crazy to defend yourself against rape?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 AM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Explain to everyone here why it's crazy to defend yourself against rape?
A high school student taking a .38 Special to School? Yeah, I’m calling that crazy. I understand self protection, but that’s way over the top.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times
Quote:
A high school student taking a .38 Special to School? Yeah, I’m calling that crazy. I understand self protection, but that’s way over the top.
So she should carry a smaller calibre weapon? Why? What do you think is the best calibre for her?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM

417 posts, read 189,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The 'it takes a village' -- isn't saying hand over your kid to the village.

It is saying that in addition to good parenting, the village is also responsible for raising good citizens.

You know that whole -- if you see something odd, say something -- aha -- that's the village.

So parents can do their best at home, but we need teachers, peers, good community leaders, etc. etc. etc.

If you find fault with that kind of thinking -- and believe it is ONLY parents that matter --- I think you are being a little naive.

I agree.

I don't think the average person would have a problem with a community having a neighborhood watch. It's been proven to help deter crime. While there always a chance of incidents such as with George Zimmerman, how many have actually occurred?

Same idea with "it takes a village". It used to be that neighbors took care of neighbors. If I misbehaved, you (my neighbor, my teacher, my bus driver, my clerymen) told my parents. And unless you were KNOWN as unreliable, my parents would take action to make sure the misbehaving was dealt with and would never happen again. People always talk about "the good old days". THAT is how it was handled in the good old days. IT TOOK A VILLAGE.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM

417 posts, read 189,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While I wouldn't hand a 16-year-old a firearm and tell her to carry it to school, I actually understand where the poster is coming from. My daughters have been taught basic self-defense since they were old enough to go places without me, and we are now moving into full martial arts training. One of the main things that I teach them is that there is no such thing as being defenseless as long as you can still move. Every object is a weapon if it needs to be.

They have also been taught the non-aggression principle, and know that the consequences for them being the aggressor in any situation will be dire.

Why have I taught them this? Because personal safety is exactly that: personal. It isn't anybody else's job to guarantee your safety. The police have no requirement to protect you, nor does anyone else. It can be hoped that in an emergency other people will come to your aid but in reality, you are on your own. There are only two people in my children's lives that they know for certain will protect them, and their mother and I aren't always around.

Having said that I wouldn't hand my 16-year-old a firearm and have her carry it to school, both of my daughters know how to handle a firearm - and they aren't 16 yet. They know the proper way to handle, clean, and store a firearm. They know to never touch a firearm that isn't specifically handed to them by a trusted adult unless it is a true emergency. They know what a true emergency is, as well. While some people may consider this over the top, I'm a firm believer in self-reliance. I refuse to raise my children to be victims of anyone.

I can agree with most of what you have said. You should teach your children how to help protect themselves, there won't always be a police officer around when you need them, however, "To protect and to serve" is the police motto. And while you of coarse will always attempt to protect them, sadly you can never guarantee that you can protect them. That is why they need to know how to try to protect themselves, even if you and your wife are around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies