Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Every other top tier country enjoying the freedom to not have to worry about walking around strapped due to fear of their fellow citizens ...
In such a nation, it is the law of the jungle. When a "fellow citizen" decides he is going to assault another "fellow citizen" (and you KNOW as well as I do it is going to happen--you aren't going to change human nature), the outcome will depend largely on physical strength and size. Sound good to you? Seems a bit sexist to me.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im just curious, (for those who are calling for tougher or more laws/ regulations)...

At what point do you concede and admit Govt/ law enforcement is NOT doing its job or effective at keeping our kids safe, and they should be removed from power/ stripped of their authority?

The Constitution gives the people the right (and under certain conditions, the duty) to throw off such Govts and install new guards for their future. How many deaths have to occur before its time to strip them of their power/authority?

The constitution does not demand other people keep you as an individual, no matter what age, safe & secure.
Far from it and it has been upheld in the Supreme Court more than once.
It is up to you as a person, to defend yourself at any age, by any means possible.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Charging parents isn't good enough. We need to go under the assumption that angry bullied suicidal kid/s will find a way to obtain firearms - not just from their parents (i.e. Columbine shooters - illegal straw purchase)

I'm suggesting that we make it harder for these kids to enter school grounds fully armed with guns and explosives. The past school shootings, these kids walked onto their school like it was a public park. Way too easy.

Those days have to end if we truly care about our children's safety. So what if the security entrance is similar to Disneyland or an airport.
What do you do about the parks? The mall? McDonalds?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you actually a parent? Most parents don't even consider the possibility that their kids could be a "shooter". Even the ones with long juvi rap sheets are "good kids inside". Losing a child is the greatest tragedy of all for most parents and if that alone isn't enough to deter it then nothing is.
Many have tried to get help for their kids and find it sadly lacking. James Holmes therapist told people he was going to go off. She couldn't get anyone to address her concerns.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many have tried to get help for their kids and find it sadly lacking. James Holmes therapist told people he was going to go off. She couldn't get anyone to address her concerns.
He didn't need help. He's beyond help. He needed to be locked away in a mental institution before "going off." We used to do that at one time. There were lots of mental institutions for nutjobs. But the left had them all shut down.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
He didn't need help. He's beyond help. He needed to be locked away in a mental institution before "going off." We used to do that at one time. There were lots of mental institutions for nutjobs. But the left had them all shut down.
Maybe that is the answer but we will never get there with the arguments we are using. No one discusses the actual people. For the vast majority the only arguments are less guns or more guns.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
As several people have pointed out, some of the recent schools that have had shootings, had armed guards, who apparently didn't do much to stop those shootings.

OTOH there have been schools, churches etc. that also had armed guards, who DID stop shootings there.

BTW, how many such places had armed guards that a potential shooter noticed, and so he decided not to go there to do his murders? We'll never know all of them... because the result of the guards being there, was simply that nothing happened. Does anyone think the number of such deterrences is ZERO?

Off the top of my head, here is one example where armed guards thwarted a mass shooter. In August 1999, mass shooter Buford Furrow got a gun and drove to several Jewish centers in Los Angeles. But when he found armed guards at the first three, he turned around and left. Not until he found the North Valley Jewish Community Center and saw that it had no guards, did he walk inside and start shooting. Later he went to a Post Office which also had no guards, and shot an employee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...enter_shooting

How many similar madmen planned attacks, but kept finding armed guards until they gave up their plans and wound up doing nothing? Not too many people who do that, talk about it later. But does that mean that there aren't any?

Armed guards don't have 100% records. But sometimes they do stop, or even prevent, school shootings. Can that be said about any other "gun control" scheme the gun controllers have been pushing?

And, is the expense of hiring and training such guards not justified, because they don't save enough of our children's lives?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
As several people have pointed out, some of the recent schools that have had shootings, had armed guards, who apparently didn't do much to stop those shootings.

OTOH there have been schools, churches etc. that also had armed guards, who DID stop shootings there.

BTW, how many such places had armed guards that a potential shooter noticed, and so he decided not to go there to do his murders? We'll never know all of them... because the result of the guards being there, was simply that nothing happened. Does anyone think the number of such deterrences is ZERO?

Off the top of my head, here is one example where armed guards thwarted a mass shooter. In August 1999, mass shooter Buford Furrow got a gun and drove to several Jewish centers in Los Angeles. But when he found armed guards at the first three, he turned around and left. Not until he found the North Valley Jewish Community Center and saw that it had no guards, did he walk inside and start shooting. Later he went to a Post Office which also had no guards, and shot an employee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...enter_shooting

How many similar madmen planned attacks, but kept finding armed guards until they gave up their plans and wound up doing nothing? Not too many people who do that, talk about it later. But does that mean that there aren't any?

Armed guards don't have 100% records. But sometimes they do stop, or even prevent, school shootings. Can that be said about any other "gun control" scheme the gun controllers have been pushing?

And, is the expense of hiring and training such guards not justified, because they don't save enough of our children's lives?
I get really tired of people like yourself that obviously have this desire to make this political. I support the 2nd. I support your right to carry. I have NO desire to make our school like a prison. None.

I support the 2nd, I support your right to carry but I also support expanding health care access for people not getting it now.

What politician or party should I follow to see that happen?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
BTW, how many such places had armed guards that a potential shooter noticed, and so he decided not to go there to do his murders? We'll never know all of them... because the result of the guards being there, was simply that nothing happened.
The discussion is about school shootings. The armed guards were no deterrence to the planning this freak put into the shooting. He chose the school because that is where the people he wanted to kill were.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Imagine that before we had the fire alarm pull, there was a fire at an institution like a school. And there was no pull alarm that anyone could use. And people died.

The country said "Never again! Let's do something so to prevent this."

It might have only taken once to recognize and fix the problem.

Not so with mass shootings.
Thats completely different, main thing being, there is no 'incentive' in restricting access to fire alarms, it would not benefit govt in anyway shape or form...however, disarming or strictly regulating firearms WOULD be very beneficial to a govt, so the motive is there to go about changing or seeking to influence public sentiment on guns in general...naturally using mass shootings as a tactic...the more and more shootings that happen, the more kids that are killed, results in more and more people changing their opinions on guns and gun laws, giving in, compromising with govt, for safety reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies