Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

Right-winger Robert Mercer was a power behind Breitbart, but at least that had some pretension of being a news outlet. But while I was listening to something with whistle-blower Christopher Wylie talking about the goal of Mercer's Cambridge Analytica being not just to illicitly collect information on Americans, but to actively work to disseminate propaganda and disinformation, to promote "neuroticism, paranoia and racial biases" ... is any of that actually illegal? Or is it just - a word I rarely use - evil?

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/16/61141...-racial-biases
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I doubt Robert Mercer will be in much trouble, but his daughter Rebekkah could be.

She was the Mercer who invested heavily in Cambridge Analytica, and directed all of the money the Mercers have used for political purposes. She owned CA stock, but not her father. Both own stock in Brietbart, but Rebekkah is the wheel horse there, too. She was very active behind the scenes in 2016, but he wasn't.

Robert Mercer was once as actively involved, but in 2016, he turned all the directing over to her.
Both of them kicked in lots and lots of money. He's about 74 now, and she's in her 40s.

His age may have something to do with the changes, but so could Robert's very private nature. His daughter enjoys being in public when it suits her purposes, but Robert has always avoided public speaking or publicity of any kind. He's a real recluse.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Right-winger Robert Mercer was a power behind Breitbart, but at least that had some pretension of being a news outlet. But while I was listening to something with whistle-blower Christopher Wylie talking about the goal of Mercer's Cambridge Analytica being not just to illicitly collect information on Americans, but to actively work to disseminate propaganda and disinformation, to promote "neuroticism, paranoia and racial biases" ... is any of that actually illegal? Or is it just - a word I rarely use - evil?

Illegal campaign contributions for one.

As I recall, voter databases in 21 states were hacked by the Russians coordinating with Cambridge Analytical. Maybe could some conspiracy charges involved there?

Speculation that hacked voter databases msy have been used to purge certain voters from the registration rolls. Surely, that's illegal. If it can be proven, of course.

LegalSea would likely have a better take on this.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
A lot of what the Mercers do falls into the category of campaigning and that should come with personal spending and reporting limits.

Clinton Cash is an example of a book they underwrote in order to use it to further the campaigns of GOP candidated against Clinton.

The problem is the Federal Election Commission has 3 DNC and 3 GOP reps and a majority must agree to make a charge. So guess which three would rule that it isn't a campaign contribution?

Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I doubt Robert Mercer will be in much trouble, but his daughter Rebekkah could be.

She was the Mercer who invested heavily in Cambridge Analytica, and directed all of the money the Mercers have used for political purposes. She owned CA stock, but not her father. Both own stock in Brietbart, but Rebekkah is the wheel horse there, too. She was very active behind the scenes in 2016, but he wasn't.

Robert Mercer was once as actively involved, but in 2016, he turned all the directing over to her.
Both of them kicked in lots and lots of money. He's about 74 now, and she's in her 40s.

His age may have something to do with the changes, but so could Robert's very private nature. His daughter enjoys being in public when it suits her purposes, but Robert has always avoided public speaking or publicity of any kind. He's a real recluse.

Rebekah Mercer looks to me like the Bride of Frankenstein. Who knows how far she would go, to try to carry out their crazed agenda, with all that money available? What better examples are there, than this family, showing how power can corrupt? I understand that they spend multiple millions every year, for their personal security force, to provide protection against all those they imagine would like to harm them. I think that they consider all of us to be their enemies and have declared war on the whole country.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Just watched this interview with Steve Bannon and he said the Mercers were not involved with Cambridge Analytica -- unless I misunderstood since he talks a mile a minute. It seems like his own role was somewhat limited as well, though he chose the name. He did mention other people, most were British, who were involved with the company. Bannon also talked about Google and Facebook's extensive involvement with the 2012 Obama campaign which opposition media seems to have amnesia regarding .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9xzY0y6RNM

Old 05-26-2018, 01:30 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
May want to do a bit of research about Mercer's financial backing of Cambridge analytical.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

The libertarian Mercer family's exploits go way back, if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Bannon introduced Mr. Trump to their deep pockets. More in-depth info here:

THE RECLUSIVE HEDGE-FUND TYCOON BEHIND THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY

How Robert Mercer exploited America’s populist insurgency.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ump-presidency

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ump-presidency

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 05-26-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 01:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Wow, thanks for all the interesting, well-informed replies!

Old 05-26-2018, 03:31 PM

672 posts, read 256,274 times
In a just world they would be frog marched down the boulevard for people to throw garbage at before their appointment with a guillotine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies