Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times

Advertisements

The last time I was selected for the alternate juror pool what a freaking miserable day they held us hostage in a room with Fox News blaring all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:32 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Toss the court's "summons" in the garbage and you won't have to worry about it.
You do that here, and the judge now issues an open bench warrant against you. So, if you get pulled over for speeding or anything and they run your name, you'll be arrested and forced to see the judge and explain yourself.

It's easier just to go in the first day for orientation, and either submit, or try to talk your way out of it, or give a valid doctors excuse, etc. In which case they'll likely let you go, BUT, they'll schedule and expect you to show up in a couple months and actually serve.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Lol...several of my friends are lawyers and my education and work background makes me absolute kryptonite to jury selection.

It's fascinating when they share how they use jury structuring etc. or talk about how their case just got a lot tougher because of a judge change. Just goes to show how unequal justice can be due to several factors.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:25 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
I've only been called once but the case was dismissed in North Carolina. I believe the main reason is that jury duty takes up too much time with little monetary benefit in most cases.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Jury cases can be upsetting and even life changing.

Yesterday in Scotland, evil 16 year old Aaron Campbell was given a life sentence for and murder of 6 year old Alesha MacPhail on the Isle of Bute in Scotland.

The case was very upsetting, and the sentencing at the High Court in Glasgow was also very emotional, see the youtube video below and the Judge stated it was his belief that Campball would never be released from prison, which I can only hope is true.

Alesha MacPhail murder: Life sentence for Aaron Campbell after he admits guilt - BBC News

Old 03-22-2019, 10:32 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You do that here, and the judge now issues an open bench warrant against you. So, if you get pulled over for speeding or anything and they run your name, you'll be arrested and forced to see the judge and explain yourself.

It's easier just to go in the first day for orientation, and either submit, or try to talk your way out of it, or give a valid doctors excuse, etc. In which case they'll likely let you go, BUT, they'll schedule and expect you to show up in a couple months and actually serve.
You must live in a small jurisdiction because it’s virtually impossible for a big city to do that and technically there’s no proof you got it anyhow so I don’t see why they waste resources on an unprovable offense

Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Not all employers pay for jury duty so it can be a serious financial hit. But it's inefficient, boring, and uncomfortable...like many government jobs.

I don't know how anyone gets convicted of anything with most of the population exposed to the "CSI effect" when real life forensics is far from that.
If it’s murder case of any kind I better be shown forensic evidence in 2019. There’s no way I’m convicting anyone these days on circumstantial evidence unless it doesn’t result in a long prison sentence. I’m willing to go circumstantial on something that might be just a financial penalty or short term prison sentence but nothing involving murder or manslaughter

Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
I have been called for Jury Duty a few times but when I called the night before I wasn't needed.

I just got one yesterday that is in the Federal Courthouse which is almost 60 miles away. I am not happy about going to Tampa in rush hour but we will see.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

I doubt it. There is no law requiring anyone to serve on a jury. It would be unconstitutional anyway, so you can safely disregard it.

Why would you respond to a "summons" from a court anyway? Do you work for the court? How is it that you're under their dominion and they can just "summon" you as if you were some lackey employee?

I don't work for any courts. They can't order me around to "appear" in their office to work for them against my will. That would be insane.

Don't buy into this propaganda..its crazy stuff. We do not work for the government. They are public servants. They work for us. You have it all backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
BS, people like to claim this type of thing happens all the time but court activity would create a public record and yet nobody ever provides any support for their anecdotal horror stories of jury scofflaws being arrested and brought before a judge. Can you provide any evidence that this actually happens?

I have tossed every juror smmons I received in the last 15 years straight into the trash. The worst thing that ever happened is the court wasted more taxpayer money on postage when they sent me a second notice that also went straight to the bin. I am still walking around free and have been pulled over many times.
Same here. Why people respond to these unconstitutional threat letters is beyond me.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/2...rvice_fac.html

Quote:
SAGINAW, MI -- Saginaw County citizens who "thumb their noses" at jury service could face jail time, the county's chief judge says.
Chief Circuit Judge Fred L. Borchard and Circuit Court Administrator Lance Dexter have implemented a method for holding such citizens accountable, Borchard says.
Those who fail to appear for jury service now will receive a "show cause" notice that will require them to come to the courthouse and face a judge regarding their absence. If the judge is not satisfied with the prospective juror's explanation, he or she could find the individual in contempt of court and sentence the individual to jail or order them to pay a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies