Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I never understood why people put their personal inconvenience ahead of our democracy, whether its voting, jury duty or holding your representatives accountable. The recurring theme is to let someone else do it then complain about the state of the nation. Less than 50% vote in elections, people throwing jury summons in the trash while in other countries people are dying for those rights. We have become a spoiled and entitled nation and it shows.

In my state, winning the Republican primary means you are elected. Less than 30% of us vote in the primary.

So some statewide office holders are elected by 17% of the eligible voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
I can be a bit annoying waiting in a room with a bunch of people to get called for a trial and then told to go home after three hours because they do not need you. I got picked for a murder trial back in the mid 90s once. Was kind of interesting but the judge took three hours to read the charges. I fell asleep in my chair.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it wouldn't. The money spent on illegal aliens could instead be spent on jurors.

Or the $$$ spent on asinine wars of choice of no benefit to the country.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Or the $$$ spent on asinine wars of choice of no benefit to the country.
Or both.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I wouldn't want liberals ANYWHERE judging me. They aren't my peers.

Some folks just refuse to lower their standards.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure where to put this, so mods please move if this isn't the right place. I got my jury summons two weeks ago and am scheduled to serve tomorrow at my local criminal court. When I told my friends, they gave me all sorts of suggestions on excuses I could invent to get out of it. Why? Why do people hate jury duty so much? I'm looking forward to it. My last service ended in a plea bargain, so I ended up not doing anything but sitting and waiting three hours. I am going tomorrow and will not try to avoid it through my attitudes or excuses. I can understand needing to avoid it for financial reasons, but other than that, people seem to hate it for reasons they can't identify. Is hating jury duty the American way, like hating paying taxes?
It's boring and it's a total waste of time. I get called like clockwork every 18 months and it's annoying. I have to take a day off work (for which I am still paid, thank God) and drive to downtown frickin' Dallas where I get to go through metal detectors like a criminal, then sit on hard uncomfortable seats with hundreds of other people for hours on end. If I get called up to a courtroom, it's all I can do to stay awake. I never get past voir dire because I know what to say to make them dismiss me.

After all that crap is over, I get to sit in bumper to bumper traffic and drive back home for a hellish hour.

Waste of time, waste of gas. I hate it. You can't even have a decent conversation with people anymore because everyone's always on their phones.

OH, and you're also not allowed to leave the room unless they tell you you can. So forget about smoke breaks.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 AM

27,138 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's boring and it's a total waste of time. I get called like clockwork every 18 months and it's annoying. I have to take a day off work (for which I am still paid, thank God) and drive to downtown frickin' Dallas where I get to go through metal detectors like a criminal, then sit on hard uncomfortable seats with hundreds of other people for hours on end. If I get called up to a courtroom, it's all I can do to stay awake. I never get past voir dire because I know what to say to make them dismiss me.

After all that crap is over, I get to sit in bumper to bumper traffic and drive back home for a hellish hour.

Waste of time, waste of gas. I hate it. You can't even have a decent conversation with people anymore because everyone's always on their phones.

OH, and you're also not allowed to leave the room unless they tell you you can. So forget about smoke breaks.
Not sure why you would get caled every 18 months.

In the UK, 90% of criminal cases are dealt with by the Magistrates, they usually consist of a panel of paid volunteer lay people and a District Judge.

Minor criminal cases are triable only in the Magistrates, some are triable either way and you can opt for a Jury Trial at the Crown Court if you so wish, whilst more serious criminal cases are automatically referred to the Crown Courts to be heard by a Jury.

You can be tried in Crown Court without a jury in the UK in exceptional circumstances, these circumstances being in relation to complex fraud cases and where it is believed Jury tampering may take place due to organised crime or other such influences. In 1973 Northern Ireland juries were replaced by 'Diplock Courts' which operated without a Jury until 2006. The double jeopardy law was also scrapped in the UK under the Criminal Justice Act 2003 and you can now be re-tried if new enidence comes to light.

Trials without a jury - Wikipedia

Juries to return as Diplock courts axed - Telegraph

The year and a day rule was also scrapped in the UK in 1996.

Year and a day rule - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-22-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I have no problem with serving on a jury. I think the selection process is rather crazy, but then again, I doubt I could come up with something better.

Bring some books and a few Snickers bars.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not sure why you would get caled every 18 months.

In the UK, 90% of criminal cases are dealt with by the Magistrates, they usually consist of a panel of paid volunteer lay people and a District Judge.

Minor criminal cases are triable only in the Magistrates, some are triable either way and you can opt for a Jury Trial at the Crown Court if you so wish, whilst more serious criminal cases are automatically referred to the Crown Courts to be heard by a Jury.

You can be tried in Crown Court without a jury in the UK in exceptional circumstances,

Trials without a jury - Wikipedia
This isn't the UK. Obviously, our system is very different.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Why Do People Hate Jury Duty?

I never liked it, but always did it never once trying to get out of the responsibility. It can be boring waiting in the pool of prospective jurors, but it is a civic duty of great importance. I have only sat in a few cases, all happen to have been relatively minor.

Our justice system rests upon a pool of impartial jurors, we need to take this responsibility seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies