Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
All protestants are heretics
The only reason a good chunk of Europe is Protestant instead of Catholic is Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Pope wouldn't give it to him.
Even Henry after creating the Church of England from the Catholic Church thought other Protestants were heretics and had little tolerance for them. Evangelicals for sure would have been burned at the stake or beheaded if they existed at that time. Germany is still 30 percent Catholic despite Martin Luther breaking from the Catholic Church and Scotland is still 15 percent Catholic. All Protestant religions are descended from the Catholic Church.

Last edited by marino760; 05-25-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 06:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nice that you consider Obama an enlightened human being, the church was long overdue for such a leader.

I think it's gonna take a few more like him for the church to lose the stigma of having protected predator priests though.
Funny that you interpreted that as meaning I consider Obama a human being. Satan incarnate, perhaps.

I agree that the church has such a stigma attached, but Pope Frank sure ain't gonna fix that, if it can ever be fixed.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:33 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Certainly different than my experience growing up Catholic. I didn't go to catholic School but in Sunday school, we were told if we even dared set foot in a different church we'd be condemned to hell.

Nothing else could have been more effective in driving me from organized religion than the Catholic Church.
"I don't know about you,
but I practice a disorganized religion."

Quote:
I belong to an unholy disorder.
We call ourselves,
"Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment."
You may have seen us praying
for love
on sidewalks outside the better
eating establishments
in all kinds of weather.
Blow us a kiss
upon arriving or departing,
and we will climax
simultaneously.
It can be quite a scene,
especially if it is raining
cats and dogs
~Worship by Kurt Vonnegut

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/o...3vonnegut.html

Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Funny that you interpreted that as meaning I consider Obama a human being. Satan incarnate, perhaps.

I agree that the church has such a stigma attached, but Pope Frank sure ain't gonna fix that, if it can ever be fixed.

People who have such low standards for evil and no understanding of what it truly is. If you think that poorly of Obama, a man who basically did nothing to deserve such hatred, what do you think of Trump? If Obama is "satan," Trump is something an order of magnitude worse, if we're being objective at least in the comparison.

First-worlders who have no understanding of actual problems... pfft!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Jesus, Moses and an old gentleman go golfing to a par 3 course.

Jesus tees off and shanks the ball into the water hazard. So of course he walks across the top of the pond and chips onto the green and sinks the putt for par.

Moses then tees off and the same thing. So he does what Moses does...he parts the pond like the Red Sea, walks in, chips on the green and putts for par.

Then it’s the old gents turn. He tees off right towards the water. A fish jumps out and catches the ball in his mouth, a bird swoops down and grabs the fish and flies off. A lightning bolt from nowhere hits the bird, he drops the fish on the green, the ball pops out for a hole in one.

Jesus turns to the old man and says “Dad, stop screwing around. This is golf”

I like this!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
This means an awful lot to a great many gay Catholics. It has taken a long time to go from burning gay people at the stake to accepting what cannot be changed. But we are there, evidently.

Next big step will be allowing priests to marry and have children.
Will that ever happen?
That'd be helpful imho. Although the Catholic Church'd necessarily have to change its business model in order for Priests to support their families. Priests might even desire to leave something to their families when they die rather than leaving it all to the Church as is the custom.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Jesus, Moses and an old gentleman go golfing to a par 3 course.

Jesus tees off and shanks the ball into the water hazard. So of course he walks across the top of the pond and chips onto the green and sinks the putt for par.

Moses then tees off and the same thing. So he does what Moses does...he parts the pond like the Red Sea, walks in, chips on the green and putts for par.

Then it’s the old gents turn. He tees off right towards the water. A fish jumps out and catches the ball in his mouth, a bird swoops down and grabs the fish and flies off. A lightning bolt from nowhere hits the bird, he drops the fish on the green, the ball pops out for a hole in one.

Jesus turns to the old man and says “Dad, stop screwing around. This is golf”

LOL,

Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
In the New Testament, the Apostle who Jesus anointed to carry the Gospel to the non Jewish world wrote these Scriptures:

Romans 1
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in
their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
If you are going to quote Romans 1:26-32, you should quote what immediately comes after.

Romans 2
1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
2 Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth.
3 So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?
4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?

Anti-gay people love quoting Romans 1:26-27. But those verses are part of a bigger picture, staring with Romans 1:18 and going through about Romans 3:20, which is basically a big wordy exposition on how we are all sinners through the Law.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
That'd be helpful imho. Although the Catholic Church'd necessarily have to change its business model in order for Priests to support their families. Priests might even desire to leave something to their families when they die rather than leaving it all to the Church as is the custom.
The change would have to include priests actually producing something of value. Of course the same might be said of most politicians.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The change would have to include priests actually producing something of value. Of course the same might be said of most politicians.
I dunno about that ~ the Catholic Church's current business model is NOT based on 'free market fundamentalist' principles, that may be the business-worshipping libertarian lapdog religion you're referencing here^?

The Free Marketeer's pitch goes something like this: charge as much money as possible for providing as few goods & services as possible. Their god's Invisible Hand magically takes care of the rest. It's magical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies