Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:48 AM

34,038 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

If it would increase membership, the popes would say the same thing of pedophiles.

Promoting Bernie Law was an equivalent of condoning pedophilia by the RCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, it's irrelevant to you. It's not irrelevant to over 1 BILLION Catholics worldwide and over 70 million Catholics in this country.
You can't make those numbers insignificant no matter how much you would love to.
Of course, only small % practice.

I went to 2 RCC grade schools. Both closed. My city had 4 of them as I was growing up. Now they have 1, and its headcount by itself is not larger than when there were 3 more.

My RCC high school is one of a few surviving with 1/2 the kids it had when I was there, and overall RCC HS headcount in my state is under 25% of that era's headcount, but public schools here did not shrink nearly as much in headcount.

All over this nation, thousands of RCC churches and schools have closed..permanently.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Says you.
Says the Holy Bible, which is inspired by God. During Jesus' day, it was well established in the Jewish world that homosexuals, who were referred to as sodomites, engaged in abominable behavior because that's what the law of Moses taught. Jesus never corrected that assumption and only acknowledged a marriage relationship between a man and a woman.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Funny that you interpreted that as meaning I consider Obama a human being. Satan incarnate, perhaps.

I agree that the church has such a stigma attached, but Pope Frank sure ain't gonna fix that, if it can ever be fixed.

Funny that you think I did

Old 05-27-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, it's irrelevant to you. It's not irrelevant to over 1 BILLION Catholics worldwide and over 70 million Catholics in this country.
You can't make those numbers insignificant no matter how much you would love to.

As the Church can never make its protection of predator priests insignificant no matter how much it'd love to.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
make the vatican great again

Indulgences anyone?

Old 05-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As the Church can never make its protection of predator priests insignificant no matter how much it'd love to.
correct

Old 05-27-2018, 07:55 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sad but true. Of course it should have never happened but it did, nor should anyone ever forget about it.

Last edited by marino760; 05-27-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
God might love him but he’s still going to hell for being gay.
Well, who isn't going to Hell? A lot of sinners are like President Trump. He is too self righteous to see any need to ask God for forgiveness.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:15 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Says the Holy Bible, which is inspired by God. During Jesus' day, it was well established in the Jewish world that homosexuals, who were referred to as sodomites, engaged in abominable behavior because that's what the law of Moses taught. Jesus never corrected that assumption and only acknowledged a marriage relationship between a man and a woman.
You go your way & I'll go mine.

As a Jesus-loving agnostic, I consider how the New Testament stories of Jesus very often focus on how Jesus consistently chooses to hang out with those who others reject as somehow or another 'less than'.

Jesus consistently treats them with compassion, understanding, respect, kindness, ... & always with love, both his own & on behalf of his Father. We are all children.

The Pharisees, as individuals & as a group, consistently try to trap Jesus & are consistently exposed as hypocrites. They are obsessively concerned with the 'letter of the law' while disregarding its spirit.

In the story of the adulterous woman, the Pharisees bring the woman to him saying, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?”

Jesus begins writing with a stick on the ground while they pepper him with more questions​.

He finally says to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.”

Eventually they all walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies