Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times

Advertisements

I don't know why cities with a fairly large homeless population don't have centers for the homeless (or anyone) that include restrooms, tables and chairs. Yes, those involve SOME upkeep, but if the state governments, parks and recreation departments, and the U.S. Forest Service (or whoever) can maintain restrooms for tourists, then I think there should be a solution for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 06:25 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,613 times
The salty conservative tears in this thread are too much...lol

Starbucks removes any doubt that racism played a role in those Black men being targeted, so Conservatives lash out and hope for all the ways the policy can backfire.

Nevermind that this had been their policy for years, and none of the fear-mongering scenarios have taken place yet.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
A good place to kill time because they have WiFi, bathrooms, air conditioning, seats, etc. Perfect for homeless, loiterers, poor people, broke people, people waiting on their cars to be fixed or spouse to be finished shopping, etc.

The perfect “waiting room.”

Many people either don't have Internet access, and or are trying to save on bandwidth so they hit Starbucks or anyplace else for free WiFi.

Then you have those that do not have AC (including seniors, elderly, middle aged), that will go to SB because they *do*.

In urban areas where people tend to live in cramped/close quarters SB can (and often does) become a living room or whatever spot. If you're living in a cramped studio apartment, and or have to share with a bunch of roommates, then getting out of the house might just be a priority.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:27 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
That’s common knowledge. Many people use Starbucks to meet with others without buying anything. Guess they have to reiterate because of one ignorant employee...

Old 05-22-2018, 06:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't know why cities with a fairly large homeless population don't have centers for the homeless (or anyone) that include restrooms, tables and chairs. Yes, those involve SOME upkeep, but if the state governments, parks and recreation departments, and the U.S. Forest Service (or whoever) can maintain restrooms for tourists, then I think there should be a solution for that.
Some do.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:

NYC here, and we *DO* have such places. City of New York has a budget for social services/homeless that is greater than entire for some small cities or other areas, but it isn't enough.

Homeless claim the shelters/centers are filled with "crime", dirty, unsanitary, impose strict rules, etc....

So they camp out at McDonalds, Starbucks, and other places.

Oh did I mention such homeless can also run their game as well? They panhandle, play "doorman" (opening and closing doors while shoving a nasty paper cup in your face or otherwise demand tips), and finally wait for SB or whatever to throw away unsold food so they can get first dibs.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeniejeans View Post
Starbucks will soon look like a dirty, inner city bus station waiting area. No thanks! In my town people are already complaining about the new “vibe”. People bringing in McDonald’s coffee to mooch off of Starbucks WiFi and comfy chairs.
Call me a snob if you will, but I will not go to any drinking or eating establishment in which the majority of its customers are apparently homeless and/or dirty and smelly, and I also would not like to be approached by beggars while trying to enjoy a beverage, meal, or snack. I wonder how many people agree with that, and I would bet that any Starbucks that advertises their welcome mat to the homeless will soon stop that practice, or else face losing a LOT of paying customers.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That’s common knowledge. Many people use Starbucks to meet with others without buying anything. Guess they have to reiterate because of one ignorant employee...
Open wi-fi -- great place to do your business.

But yes -- in all the years I've been in Starbucks -- there are folks who have set up their office, their little study nook, etc...and nobody has said anything.

I think it is so hilarious that folks thing that Starbucks has not anticipated all the scenarios you all come up with.

They know what they are doing.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Starbucks is not an eating establishment. It's clear you have never stepped foot in a Starbucks.

Oh I don't know; SB does sell/offer plenty of various prepackaged snacks, sandwiches, cakes, pastries, cookies, yoghurt, etc...

They have a "breakfast" menu, lunch and if one wished presumed dinner as well.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ucks-food-menu

As have said repeatedly, what do you think the homeless and dumpster divers are always digging through SB trash to find? It certainly ain't coffee!

Every hard core/career homeless and or dumpster diver knows that every three or two days every SB throws out all unsold foods. Sometimes there is quite a bit of it and that is why homeless like SB.

As another poster mentioned certain SB employees/mangers have their *favourite* homeless or whatever person and will "give" them the rubbish bag of food. This and or homeless will stand outside the door while they "take out" said trash which in reality they are handing it over, but can't be directly accused of such.

Like any good coffeehouse SB is now and has long been more than just coffee.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Yes, those involve SOME upkeep, but if the state governments, parks and recreation departments, and the U.S. Forest Service (or whoever) can maintain restrooms for tourists, then I think there should be a solution for that.

Many of those places charge a fee to enter and they also generate revenue from other sources.

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/entrance-fee-prices.htm

I believe any State park in PA is free to enter but many will have paid services like camping, canoe rental, pool entrance fee etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies