Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:04 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
When black folks use it, its an acknowledgement of one another. They took a wird and made it their own. When white folks use it, its a double meaning behind it.

It was a word used oppressively by white folks in the past. Black folks just flipped it. So now you no longer feel superior by saying the word. Infact, most feel left out they cant say it.

Just dont say it.

The girls was dumb. Its in the lyrics but any self aware white person knows not to say it.

Kendrick played it cool though. Him and JCole are the greatest out there right now.
I suppose there are white people who are like that, but I think most just feel confused at times like the one we are discussing now, because if you like an artist and their music and they invite you onstage to sing a song were damned near every line has it in there, how on earth can you rap it properly?

I'm not defending white people who use it as a slur. No. That is completely inappropriate.

But, lyrics and books and movies? I dunno. Are people offended when there's a movie with that word in it and a white person is supposed to use that word because it's in the script?

Because there's not much of a way around that unless you're an actor who is a big enough name to demand that you not have to use it.

I am not black, so it's not up to me to say how it does or does not get to be used in regular conversation, though. As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of getting rid of that word altogether because I know way too many black people who find it hurtful, even when nobody but other black people are using it.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:06 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,065,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
She was at a RAP concert. Proof enough that she was likely not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I didn't realize anyone still listened to that crap. He kids, the 1990s called, they want their "music" back.
It’s ok man, you lack understanding.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:08 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,441,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't know any white people into hip-hop who aren't aware that they should skip the word if singing in public.
The girl was hyped, made a mistake, Kendrick informed her, and let her get back to it.

There's really nothing to this.

If all things were equal, and racism wasn't so ingrained in our culture, than I'm sure the use of the N word would change.

I love seeing racists get outraged that they can't use the word. We don't let black people BBQ, sleep at school, drive, or do home inspections, but then flip out because we're not supposed to say a word.

Hypocritical White Privilege at its best.
It is only racists who think that "white people" cannot use this word. They certainly can, and only someone who is a racist will try to tell you differently.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM

1,239 posts, read 504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not outraged that I cannot use that word. I don't use it.

What I'm confused about is way he set up a drunk kid.

Because that is what he did.

I doubt this same girl would ever use that word as a slur while standing in line at the grocery store. And much like your friends, I'm sure she knows not to be singing along to it when out in a group of people.

She is a fan. She has all his albums. She paid to go to his concert. He invited her on stage. He asked her to sing a song that contains so many mentions of that word it's hard to keep rhyme without an alternative word to hold its place.

So, why not just invite a black kid up for that one?

I am not so sure I agree with how this was handled. I don't think she hopped on stage thinking "yay! I get to say the N word!" I'm pretty sure the girl was excited to be invited to rap with an artist she likes very much.

And, grown people are sitting around on the internet wishing her ill for quoting lyrics he wrote.

She didn't make that up. He did.

I know I wouldn't sing that word on stage like she did, because I've been around the block too many times and I wouldn't feel comfortable, even if I was drunk off my ass.

But, she looks pretty young and pretty intoxicated. I think she was honestly just excited.
I don't think he set her up. I think he expected that she knew to how to handle herself.
When she messed up, all he did was point it out. There was some booing, but unless this girl comes out and says she was harassed afterwards, then there's nothing to this at all.

Can you provide a link to where she is being bashed for her mistake? I haven't seen any of that, and I would disagree with the people doing it.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,065,153 times
Quote:
I suppose there are white people who are like that, but I think most just feel confused at times like the one we are discussing now, because if you like an artist and their music and they invite you onstage to sing a song were damned near every line has it in there, how on earth can you rap it properly?

I'm not defending white people who use it as a slur. No. That is completely inappropriate.

But, lyrics and books and movies? I dunno. Are people offended when there's a movie with that word in it and a white person is supposed to use that word because it's in the script?

Because there's not much of a way around that unless you're an actor who is a big enough name to demand that you not have to use it.

I am not black, so it's not up to me to say how it does or does not get to be used in regular conversation, though. As I said earlier, I'm a big fan of getting rid of that word altogether because I know way too many black people who find it hurtful, even when nobody but other black people are using it.
Busta rhymes had a freestyle competition online where fans would send videos of their freestyle. People of different backgrounds submitted their footage.

A couple of white folks said it, Busta didn’t grt phased about it. But there were white folks that either skipped the word or replaced it with another word like “brother”,”buddy” “folks”. He even gave them props for not saying it and finding creative ways to replace it.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 AM

19,360 posts, read 12,012,138 times
So they can listen to it over and over again, blast it out of their car, but not say it...

All I can think of is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASNM1XEQPs

Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM

977 posts, read 560,233 times
Quote:

Agreed. The idea is that the CONTEXT is critical. The mere utterance of an "n" sound, followed by a "short I" then a "g" and the "er" sound is NOT in and of itself offensive. It is the context in that this particular arrangement of sounds has historically been used as a racial slur that makes it offensive. Black people who call each other this obviously are NOT using it as a racial slur, so that context makes its use OK. This girl at the concert was uttering these sounds as part of the lyrics of a song, not as a racial slur. Surely, intelligent people can see the difference here. Had she turned to Kendrick Lamar and said "Thanks n--- for letting me sing" or "Hey n----s, how'd you like that!" or something like that, and I could see the outrage.

BTW, I too am not black, but personally I would rather NEVER hear that word in any context. However, Black people have decided to use that word in a benign way, so I have no say in it. So long as that's done, though, when something like this occurs, allowances should be made. I truly don't think this girl meant any offense; she was just rapping the lyrics as written.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM

1,239 posts, read 504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is only racists who think that "white people" cannot use this word. They certaunly can, and only someone who is a racist will try to tell you differently.
Again, when you choose to use that work around people in real life, please ask someone to record it first, so we can all laugh at the video.

That being said, I don't think you use the word anywhere but in your safe space, around fellow 'pure' people.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't think he set her up. I think he expected that she knew to how to handle herself.
When she messed up, all he did was point it out. There was some booing, but unless this girl comes out and says she was harassed afterwards, then there's nothing to this at all.

Can you provide a link to where she is being bashed for her mistake? I haven't seen any of that, and I would disagree with the people doing it.
There were some attack tweets and I've seen some spirited back and forth stuff on comments sections. I tend to go look things like this up elsewhere because not all CD sources are exactly unbiased.

I still think both of them were wrong, really.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Busta rhymes had a freestyle competition online where fans would send videos of their freestyle. People of different backgrounds submitted their footage.

A couple of white folks said it, Busta didn’t grt phased about it. But there were white folks that either skipped the word or replaced it with another word like “brother”,”buddy” “folks”. He even gave them props for not saying it and finding creative ways to replace it.
Well, that's way easier because you have time to think about it in advance. I think concerts are way more spur of the moment, there's all the excitement, etc.

I think anyone who sends in a freestyle video to an online competition and is using the N word while NOT black is really asking to be blasted, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies