Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,757,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
No, I think that "we" are understanding the story quite well. The piercings were on "the other place", more specifically a place called "the nipples" that are part of the human breast. Both men and women have breasts and nipples. The passenger WAS wanded but that wasn't good enough. A male TSA agent said that the passenger would not be allowed to board until both nipple piercings were out. The passenger went back with a female TSA agent and initially offered to show her nipple piercings to the female TSA agent in hopes of not having to remove the piercings, which would not be an easy process. That wasn't good enough so the passenger went to remove the piercings; was successful in removing the first one, but could not remove the second one by herself. Subsequently, the female TSA agent had to get a pair of pliers and forcibly and painfully remove the second nipple piercing. By the way, a male TSA agent could be heard snickering during this entire process. Why is this necessary for a passenger to fly? I see this as a venue for misuse of power, especially towards women, it seems. Reminds me of the woman that had to taste her own breast milk before boarding. What's next? Removal of sanitary products in order to make sure that they are not weapons?

P.S. - On its Web site, the TSA warns that passengers "may be additionally screened because of hidden items such as body piercings, which alarmed the metal detector. If you are selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search," the site says.

The passenger said that she would have accepted the pat-down, if offered (as an alternative to removing the piercings.)
Sorry, I read the story on CNN which had a photo. I am mistaken..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,310,433 times
Inconveniencing a passenger or possibly letting a weapon on a plane that could kill many? Hmmm I am going to go with the inconveniencing the passenger.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,575,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Sorry, I read the story on CNN which had a photo. I am mistaken..
Hey, no problem, we all make mistakes. I myself have made a few in my lifetime! HAHAHA!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,575,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Inconveniencing a passenger or possibly letting a weapon on a plane that could kill many? Hmmm I am going to go with the inconveniencing the passenger.
WOW! You blow my mind, no pun intended! I know, Ms. Hamlin had nipple rings made of C-4 as a detonator, and her bra was made of high explosive! I'll bet that if the TSA lackey told you to get down on all fours and bark like a dog, you'd say "What breed and for how long?"!

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 03-28-2008 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Edit spelling.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 AM

626 posts, read 990,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
This post is completely lacking in common sense. Are nipple rings weapons? No. End of story.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,122,537 times
My wife didn't have to remove her earrings when we flew a few months ago. It seems there should be a threshold of what would be perceived as a potential threat.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,244,359 times
I'm just glad that Richard Reid didn't hide the explosives in his underwear.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,491,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Personally, I don't really care and it seems like it was blown out of proportion.
That would be breast augmentation.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,196,594 times
I have to take off ANYTHING that sets the alarm off and truthfully, I don't care. Actually, I would be very concerned if the TSA let me board a plane if I kept tripping the alarm.

Our security is so lax compared to the Israeli airports. There is a full search of suitcases and bags before you are scanned. Then, I had to participate in a short but sweet interrogation about people I had talked to, did anyone give me a package, did anyone besides myself pack my bags, did I give anyone a package...you get the idea.

The point is, we all need to do our part to help out and removing a nipple ring is no big deal. For goodness sake, she was not asked to remove a titanium pin from her joints! She was asked to remove a ring and I am sure it has been returned to it's "home".

Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,107,030 times
She offered to let a woman TSA officer inspect the nipple rings in private for a "pat-down" but they refused. They were returned to their "home" in much pain because they had to push the rings through scarred tissue.

The bottom line is that average citizens are being harassed and our civil liberties are being eroded in the name of "safety". Most citizens are willing to just bend over and take it so we can be "safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies