Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Several things have changed though. Social media means you can't escape it and rumors about someone can spread and the entire school can hear the rumors. IN the past you can just go home.

2nd, you can't defend yourself and have an old school playground fight. I got bullied and teased by an 8th grader when I was in 6th grade....punching him in the face made him stop. Today I would have been expelled and tried for assault.
The bold is the problem IMO.

Also, contrary to what people believe, social media actually can be "escaped" from. You can turn it off and not have any accounts. It is not mandatory that people exist on social media, especially not kids/teens no matter what people want to say about it.

I'll note that people in my own family say stupid crap on social media and I will call them or go over their house/home and tell them about themselves or set them straight. If you go to school with someone and they say some crap on social media that is bully-ish, handle it in real life.

The bold is a huge problem IMO. I had some of scenarios that you describe (about 4 that I remember whereas I had to literally beat someone's a$$ for messing with me and my nerdy self). I also had some rather....I'll call them colorful step relatives who were gang related. If people Fd with me too much, I had some cousins I could send to take care of them for me and word got around quick not to mess with my nerdy a$$. But I'm from the hood and I just have the mindset not to take any mess.

Today people are kind of pansies and just want to whine and complain instead of putting people in their place. That is the biggest issue in our society and it honestly gets on my nerves the whole "wah wah wah bullying" stuff.

Bullying itself is not even as serious today as it used to be IMO. As noted - turn off the social media - it is not necessary to live. I'll also note that my oldest was accused of bullying once because he was goofing around in the hallway spitting water out of his mouth (acting like "one of those naked statue fountains" according to him). Some kid accused him of bullying which lead to an "investigation" and the vice principal interrogated my then 13 year old over this BS. When we found out we were livid and spoke to the vice principal and he admitted that they had a lot of little nerdy-ish kids at the school and they just think everyone was "bullying" them when they weren't. The investigation showed my kid wasn't bullying this other kid but they had to an investigation. I can see why schools don't take all this crap seriously. My daughter was accused of being a "racist" when she was 7 because she said "Mexicans make good tacos" and some of her friends said she was being a bully by saying that....

Too much silliness going on here today IMO which is why people don't take it seriously. Some things I do believe are bullying but too often today, people just have the belief people are bullying them because they are too sensitive IMO and think everyone who isn't smiling in their face and doing what they want them to do is "being mean."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Bullies run the world and kids instead of running for guns need to learn to handle it. Look at the WH ...nothing but bullies,I rest my case.
And how would we handle such bullies? Why should we have to handle them? Why not set a better precedent instead of putting up with bullies?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll also note that my oldest was accused of bullying once because he was goofing around in the hallway spitting water out of his mouth (acting like "one of those naked statue fountains" according to him). "
You should teach him better behavior. It is possible the school just got fed up with him and this was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

And the vice principal at the school referred to other children there as "nerdy-ish"? That is very unprofessional and no teacher or anyone who works at a school should be calling the kids "nerds". Either to them or to other parents. It's obvious you agree with him. What exactly do you think makes these kids nerds, not that it matters, but I'm curious where you form these judgments from. If your kids hear you say these types of derogatory names, they'll start using those against others themselves.

I'm sorry your son got in trouble and it obviously upset you a great deal, but lashing out at other children isn't going to help. Just teach your children some manners and things will work out better for you.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
All of the school shooters were bullied. It's time to crack down on this. Eliminate all bullies and group them all together in schools for bullies. This will create a near utopia experience for the non-bullies in the mainstream schools. The bully schools will be an interesting social experiment. Will bullies try to bully each other even if they all have the predator personality type?
Those little darlings need to be home schooled. They aren’t fit to be in the company of normal people. Let the parents deal with them.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
I was referee for one year for Little League. Based on that experience parents were the cause of bullying. I am sure some on the right would say those bullied kids were snowflakes and that the "good" parents were teaching their kids to be winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies