Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Nobody is glorifying the "war machine". Real people risk themselves for this country, which is symbolized in the flag and the anthem. I can't help you if you don't see that.

Hard-on... ??

Maybe it's the fact that millions of people and their families are involved in the military. My dad did 30 years... brother 20 years... brother-in-law 25 years. Maybe people are just appreciative that others would put their lives on the line to protect me and my family.

To show a total lack of appreciation of that is immature... at best.
How did, say, Vietnam protect you or your family? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 01:36 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I understand that not everyone agrees with every deployment that occurs. But to act like they don't protect us is ignorant.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:56 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
LOL. You can tell blind loyalty to the US military knows no bounds when person says with a straight face that US involvement in ‘Nam protected Americans.

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 05-24-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Ali was demonized for not being "Patriotic" and refusing to participate in an unjust war.

In the end he was right was pretty much praised all around upon his death.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
It's true that people have the right to protest (peacefully), but they do not have a right to do so on their employer's time, and in a manner that offends the employer's customers - and negatively impacts the bottom line.

I say this as a business owner. If my salesperson went out with me on a new client call, and made some political statement prior to the meeting that cost me business, she or he would be terminated (assuming I had told her or him that such activity would not be tolerated).

Old 05-24-2018, 02:24 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
As I mentioned before, this is mostly about MONEY. $$$.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As I mentioned before, this is mostly about MONEY. $$$.
Absolutely.

The owners don't want to lose customers and advertising money.

The players want to say what they want (on someone else's time) without the consequence of losing their lucrative jobs.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
You aren't going to be able to beat those who want to protest.

Various NFL players are reportedly discussing different forms of protesting in response to a new policy requiring players to stand for the national anthem.

“I talked to a former NFL player yesterday who has said that players are already talking about other ways in which they can protest," NBC's Craig Melvin said on "Today" on Thursday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...rms-of-protest

Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
As a person who habitually watches and supports the NFL....I'm more happy with the way that the NFL is handling this now than it was a year ago.

They finally grew a pair.

Personally, I think that they should send hefty fines to players in addition to the owners...

I don't see the players side in any of this....the players hold no cards in this imo....if you have a problem with police brutality....GO TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS and let your voice be heard....what the heck does the NFL have to do with it??? What can they do about it???

ALl this does is divide people beyond something other than the sport itself....it's mind boggling how anyone can argue different.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a person who habitually watches and supports the NFL....I'm more happy with the way that the NFL is handling this now than it was a year ago.

They finally grew a pair.

Personally, I think that they should send hefty fines to players in addition to the owners...

I don't see the players side in any of this....the players hold no cards in this imo....if you have a problem with police brutality....GO TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENTS and let your voice be heard....what the heck does the NFL have to do with it??? What can they do about it???

ALl this does is divide people beyond something other than the sport itself....it's mind boggling how anyone can argue different.
Sometimes sports, entertainment, and profit must take a backseat to human rights. Standing up for the respect and sanctity of the lives of fellow American citizens is not only just, it's also patriotic!

Both the flag displayed and the accompanying anthem sung, should be simultaneously honored with the lawful deeds they both represent. If the law consistently ignores its obligation to acknowledge its constitutionally guaranteed responsibilty to both execute and deliver legal decisions in an equitably just manner for ALL citizens, then a certain measure of disrespect is completely in order, until the inequity corrected...

Meanwhile, let's contemplate a more peaceful a civil sport NOT controlled by maniacal right-winged Republican extremists.

Soccer anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies