Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,567,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Guaranteed you guys would complain about that, too.

Protests are supposed to be disruptive...they aren’t supposed to be out of the way so they don’t inconvenience anyone.
No, I wouldn't complain, I would just not watch or listen, but when I pay money to go to a game, or pay for cable to watch a game, I don't want to have to sit through politics, no matter if I agree with it, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I've read where the NFL is thinking of adopting game-time penalties for players who kneel during the National Anthem. It would seem that the NFL is between a rock and a hard place on this one.
Too little too late from my standpoint.

I lost the passion or "fell out of love" as some people say.
Since I was a little kid I enjoyed the NFL and had strong allegiance with 2 teams, and was passionate about the weekly rivalries, etc.
There was not a team I didn't know about in so far as what their strength was, and who their star players were.
However the NFL's unwillingness to stand up to the players for fear of accusations of racism and not being PC was a bridge too far.
Then to make things worse, the idiot commissioner decided to give all sorts of our money (what we fans pay for) to black and leftist causes was the final straw.
As if that was not enough, the cherry on the top was the idiot owners giving this fool an extended contact to boot.

Thus I now see that the emperor has no clothes, and my desire to spend my time and money on the NFL is a thing of the past.
My high end season tickets (many thousands of dollars worth) were not renewed this year. I have lost them, and am happy for it!
Several of my long term fellow owners who I use to commiserate with also said FU to the team and NFL by not renewing.
Nothing short of firing the feckless eunuch and cracking down on the overpaid prima donnas with racial chips on their shoulders, will resonate with former fans like me.
That might not even be enough, but anything short of that will insure fans such as myself will never be back.

`

Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Too Late. 1st Amendment and all that stuff.

Your first amendment rights do not extend to the work place. The only thing that would prevent such actions is they had it in their contract and those contracts are going to have provisions about their conduct on and off the field.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
What about this idea?

In exchange for no kneeling during the anthem, have the home players get a 2 minute video where they can air opinions before the anthem starts. They will typically have 60,000 plus people in attendance and the TV may choose to air it. That way they can actually use words for a message than doing something that many see as disrespectful to the country.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:

And why wouldn't I? Are you trying to suggest I should not exercise my right to express myself? You are free to express yourself, you are not free from the consequences of what you say.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Too Late. 1st Amendment and all that stuff.
The American people can judge this on their own ...... and have done so.

try reading the fist amendment again my friend, and this time the WHOLE amendment, including the first part where it says CONGRESS shall make no law.........

the first amendment only prevents the government from taking action against speech. and as i have noted many times in the past on this very subject, yes the players do have the right to protest in any manner they choose, as long as it is peaceful. however that DOES NOT give them immunity from their employer if they choose to punish the player.

you have the right to free speech, but you do not have the right to not be punished for that speech.

i think the NFL, or the teams themselves, should eject ANY player that kneels during the anthem for that game. do it more than once though, and you start getting ejected for more than one game. first offense, that game, second offense, four games, third offense eight games, fourth offense sixteen games. after that would depend on the league and the team.

Quote:

Protests are supposed to be disruptive...they aren’t supposed to be out of the way so they don’t inconvenience anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, I wouldn't complain, I would just not watch or listen, but when I pay money to go to a game, or pay for cable to watch a game, I don't want to have to sit through politics, no matter if I agree with it, or not.

pilot is right on this, if the players want to protest, then fine let them, just not on the damned field. when i turn on a sports program, i dont want to see a bunch of overpriced, self entitled nitwits using politics to try and get their message across.

now if those players want to stand in front of a police station, preferably one that has truly had issues with police brutality and not because some pansy a$$ed criminal was upset that he didnt get to smoke his cigarettes in he station, fine let them. in fact bring the media to cover the protest, i am sure there would be a bunch of media types who would relish putting such a protest on the air.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And why wouldn't I? Are you trying to suggest I should not exercise my right to express myself? You are free to express yourself, you are not free from the consequences of what you say.
Not, I’m not saying that at all. What I’m saying is that those of you who say, “Protest this way, not that way” wouldn’t be happy with any protest. You’d complain about the next protest and the next...no protest would be appropriate, if you’re honest with yourself. (Props to you for admitting it, though.)

Old 05-23-2018, 01:51 AM

24,607 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Just fine them, we'll see how much "black lives matter" when it starts hurting their wallet. Colin Kaepernick would still be in the league right now if he didn't start this fiasco

You couldn't make this stuff up, the richest black Americans in society with the privilege to play sports for a living and they have to enrage their fanbase and employers by disrespecting those who gave it all for the flag and their country

Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Just fine them, we'll see how much "black lives matter" when it starts hurting their wallet. Colin Kaepernick would still be in the league right now if he didn't start this fiasco

You couldn't make this stuff up, the richest black Americans in society with the privilege to play sports for a living and they have to enrage their fanbase and employers by disrespecting those who gave it all for the flag and their country
What other private employer mandates you perform a show of patriotism before you start work?

Certain religious-based employers (like hospitals) start their day off with a collective prayer, but those who choose not to participate are not penalized/fired. I'm not sure why sporting events should be any different.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:33 AM

24,607 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What other private employer mandates you perform a show of patriotism before you start work?
What other private employer pays performers, military, singers, entertainers to show acts of patriotism for their consumers and investors?

Don't tell me you didn't know about the money exchanging hands and contracts signed over national anthems before every sporting event. It's a big business and helps pay for those salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies