Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
YES...just like education. It's very easy to blame the teachers for poor student performance...got to have a scapegoat, an easy target.

It's guns...not a sick society, etc.

So, guns are something relatively new ? This is why we are seeing these tragedies happen ? Interesting..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
YES...just like education. It's very easy to blame the teachers for poor student performance...got to have a scapegoat, an easy target.

It's guns...not a sick society, etc.

My Guns keep me safe from a sick society.
It is not the deer I have to fear.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This is from another thread but I feel it fits here as well. I think it nails why we are seeing a rise in these types of killings.

//www.city-data.com/forum/51978437-post42.html
THis may be a truth as to why the rise. And if you shut down the media (social, news, etc) and stop feeding information to those who can't properly process it that could have an effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I take it you fear me and the millions just like me.

Good.
Fear you? Not at all, as I chuckle at those who pound their chest with power. I don't run and hide from such fears, and would face them head on.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The gun, keeps you safe from the mentally ill.

The 2nd amendment has empowered and made equal, more women, than the entire feminist movement..
If guns keep you safe tell that to the families of the murdered in the recent school shootings in Texas, Florida, etc.

The problem is we are a gun loving culture. Until that changes you going to have these types of murders because your always going to have mental illness or evil people that will get a gun when it is virtually available on every street corner in this country. Nothing will change until our culture changes.

Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Australia and other first would countries do not have the number of mass shootings like we have. Why?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
If guns keep you safe tell that to the families of the murdered in the recent school shootings in Texas, Florida, etc.

The problem is we are a gun loving culture. Until that changes you going to have these types of murders because your always going to have mental illness or evil people that will get a gun when it is virtually available on every street corner in this country. Nothing will change until our culture changes.

Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Australia and other first would countries do not have the number of mass shootings like we have. Why?
You forgot to mention, part of that 'gun love' is to prevent tyranny! We fought a brutal revolutionary war to be MUCH different than all those other nations too. LOL

Seriously ask yourself who it benefits if people are suddenly restricted on ability to own or buy guns...you cannot see how Govt/ police state would abuse that? Heck, they already do and the people are still well armed!

Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Alcohol is behind most of the misery and shootings and murders in the US. Next is drugs. Mental illness is down the list somewhere. In any case, we will never cure society of those problems. No nation has been successful at that. Difficult as it is, it is far more feasible to look to controlling access to guns.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You forgot to mention, part of that 'gun love' is to prevent tyranny! We fought a brutal revolutionary war to be MUCH different than all those other nations too. LOL

Seriously ask yourself who it benefits if people are suddenly restricted on ability to own or buy guns...you cannot see how Govt/ police state would abuse that? Heck, they already do and the people are still well armed!
How does the government abuse us?
I suggest you go to one of those countries mentioned. The people work, go to school, eat out, go to plays, athletic events, have fun, etc... sounds pretty free to me. All without guns-- crazy talk, isn't it?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
I think it is a combination of a violent culture, easy access to guns and mental health. There are mental health issues all over the world. The US is the country with the major problem.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
How does the government abuse us?
I suggest you go to one of those countries mentioned. The people work, go to school, eat out, go to plays, athletic events, have fun, etc... sounds pretty free to me. All without guns-- crazy talk, isn't it?
How do we compare with all these other nations when it comes to our prison populations? Thats part of the answer right there. Its no coincidence the US has a MUCH higher rate of people in prison than any other nation.

To grow a strong police state, they need laws enough people are going to consistently break, drug laws are PERFECT for this.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How do we compare with all these other nations when it comes to our prison populations? Thats part of the answer right there. Its no coincidence the US has a MUCH higher rate of people in prison than any other nation.

To grow a strong police state, they need laws enough people are going to consistently break, drug laws are PERFECT for this.
Interesting, so you would be for legalizing recreation drug use? That is more of a liberal ideology and traditionally has not gone over well with conservative Christians.

I would agree that other first world countries do have a smaller percentage of population in jail. So, in that case don’t those other countries have freedoms than we don’t? The thing is conservatives are so hung up on guns as being the ultimate case for freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies