Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
When these continued horrific acts of mass violence happen, the gun control debate rages on. I admittedly lean to the side of anti-gun. I believe more controls are necessary (totally undefined by me). I also believe that it's a right to bear arms. Yes I am one who goes about about his daily life, but have a heightened awareness and fear about me.

As the debate continues with guns, I believe this entire country is so off-base with it's approach. The focus is on guns, their use, which are allowed, how to get them, etc etc. Bicker and argue, that's what occurs. But to me, the gun is nothing but a tool to carry out the destruction. What about a bomb (i.e. Boston Marathon)? What about a van/vehicle (i.e. Barcelona)? Tools.

It all starts with the mind. The spark. The idea. There are individuals who simply cannot logically and rationally control their thoughts. Those people need intervention, whether it be through medicine or therapy. Yet Trump (and government in general) cut back funding to the study of mental health/illness. The potential to stop many horrific acts reside in the minds of those ready to carry out such acts. I've read too many stories where the warning signs have actually been told to others by family/friends, including to the police and other authority's, only to have it fall on deaf ears somewhere along the line. These perpetrators don't get friction and are able to get to their end point.

Not all people can or will be stopped. But to continue to place mental health/illness down the ladder of importance is a flaw to my eyes. Our focus and funding should be there. The general public and authorities should be better educated on the warning signs, and maybe just maybe we could start plugging up the cracks that allow these people through to ultimately wreak their havoc.

That's just my .02.
Are americans more mentally unstable than other ppl around the world? Somehow you don't see mentally ill ppl in japan, australia, germany, etc going on mass shooting rampages where countless ppl die every year. that's right, that's because mentally unstable ppl in those countries don't have access to guns. Blaming it on mental illness and offering up zero solutions is the talking point the right uses to deflect the real issue here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Are americans more mentally unstable than other ppl around the world? Somehow you don't see mentally ill ppl in japan, australia, germany, etc going on mass shooting rampages where countless ppl die every year. that's right, that's because mentally unstable ppl in those countries don't have access to guns. Blaming it on mental illness and offering up zero solutions is the talking point the right uses to deflect the real issue here.
If you read any foreign press you will come across many stories from other countries of crazy people doing crazy things. I often think to myself that if that crazy individual was in America they would have gunned down 20 people. As you already pointed out, the only reason it seems to only happen here is we are the only idiots on earth that allow the crazy people ready access to firearms. And that is all their is too it.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And this is why I feel that those that are diagnosed and have to be medicated to sustain a normal way of life need to be closely watched. It should be flagged, so that if one tries to purchase a firearm it shows up in the NICS system. They also need to be tested on a monthly basis , to ensure they are taking the medicines required for them to remain normal. The moment they fail a test , they get committed.

As to what illnesses should be flagged, I guess that is a TBD since there are so many , and what might be violent in one person might not be in another.
Who will pay for this?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
And who's going to pay for a comprehensive overhaul of the mental healthcare system? We can't even have a decent physical healthcare system in this country because of right wing rage over taxation.
Leftists want free healthcare and someone else to pay for it.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:30 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Most of these perps aren't even mentally ill, they're sick messed up people but they don't have any condition that can be diagnosed.
The Las Vegas shooter had no history of mental illness, and no one still knows what caused him to commit the worst mass shooting in history.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
There are crazy people all over the world. The problem here it's *so* easy for them to get a hold of very lethal weapons.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Mental Health/ Illness - BY FAR the #1 cause of almost all that is bad (i.e. guns and mass killings)

That's just my .02.
And my 2 cents is... why aren't you blaming the social culture in high schools where it's acceptable for the "popular kids" to bully the shy and awkward ones? Why aren't you blaming the school bullies?

Just because a student was bullied to the point of fantasizing about and carrying out a mass killing of their tormentors, doesn't mean that they are mentally ill.

And the same goes for any employee that snapped and went postal. Years of having to deal with a socially toxic environment would make any sane person to become extremely frustrated and vengeful.

And not every road rager is mentally ill either. Think about it.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
If guns keep you safe tell that to the families of the murdered in the recent school shootings in Texas, Florida, etc.

The problem is we are a gun loving culture. Until that changes you going to have these types of murders because your always going to have mental illness or evil people that will get a gun when it is virtually available on every street corner in this country. Nothing will change until our culture changes.

Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Australia and other first would countries do not have the number of mass shootings like we have. Why?

And you overlook a big part of this problem, the GUN is an inanimate non living object, it can do absolutely nothing on it's own. It requires a person pulling the trigger.

Quote:
How does the government abuse us? You don't call the NSA spying on the American people with out warrants to be abuse or violations of our rights, I sure do.
I suggest you go to one of those countries mentioned. The people work, go to school, eat out, go to plays, athletic events, have fun, etc... sounds pretty free to me. All without guns-- crazy talk, isn't it?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
If guns keep you safe tell that to the families of the murdered in the recent school shootings in Texas, Florida, etc.

The problem is we are a gun loving culture. Until that changes you going to have these types of murders because your always going to have mental illness or evil people that will get a gun when it is virtually available on every street corner in this country. Nothing will change until our culture changes.

Canada, UK, Italy, Spain, Australia and other first would countries do not have the number of mass shootings like we have. Why?

I'll tell them in a heartbeat... their kid no longer has, because someone mandated they be unarmed, as people with no rights....
The police, nor the school has no responsibility to keep your kid safe. The Supreme Court has already ruled on that little gem.
Only you are responsible for protecting yourself, at any age.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Interesting, so you would be for legalizing recreation drug use? That is more of a liberal ideology and traditionally has not gone over well with conservative Christians.

I would agree that other first world countries do have a smaller percentage of population in jail. So, in that case don’t those other countries have freedoms than we don’t? The thing is conservatives are so hung up on guns as being the ultimate case for freedom.

Check this out.
Every law, restricts someones liberty and in some cases, their civil rights.
As long as you don't threaten, harm, or steal form me, my family or my property, we are good.
Deal?
Pretty sure that isn't Christian, Islam, or Atheist...
It is the law of nature. Because if any one of those are violated, you might as well dig your own grave while your at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies