Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Are there ever circumstances in which a person deserves to be raped?
Yes, one can argue rapists who go to prison where the predator becomes the prey. Matter of fact, prison rape is an effective deterrent for most Americans.

It’s certainly an effective deterrent for me to not commit any crime.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People can do stupid things to put themselves into dumb situations, but victim blaming needs to go away.

Just because I'm walking alone at night in the ghetto doesn't mean someone has the right to rob me. Is it smart? No, but it's still not my fault.
When you know that there is a high probability that things will go badly for you if you make a particular choice, but you make that choice anyway, are you not somewhat responsible? Why would you expect a different result when you know the previous results were tragic?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
victim blaming has some substance,

Because of this, there is no bridge to close the divide.

Carry on.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...because feminists have staked out their territory on this issue. Women, they've decided, may do whatever they want.
.....whyyyyy EXACTLY should a woman NOT be able to do whatever she wants without fear that a man will attack her and force his penis inside her? I mean, explain to me EXACTLY why this should not be so.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Because of this, there is no bridge to close the divide.

Carry on.
Yes. Because some people expect individuals to take responsibility for their actions, there will always be those who view them as being responsible for the consequences. Life is like that.

Remember the British teacher who did a solo trek in some foreign country and knew that if she continued on she would likely be attacked and killed? Everyone she met warned her and tried to dissuade her from her decision. She ignored them. She was attacked, and now she's dead. Remember the bearman who took his girlfriend to bear country and camped in a tent in the middle of a herd of hungry bears? They were eaten by the bears. Can we blame those victims for making incredibly stupid decisions, or do we blame everyone else for not letting those people do whatever they want without consideration for known consequences?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Time to jump off this thread.

No Recess - keep up the good fight and spread the Non-Aggression policy far and wide.

Ladies and supportive gents...

For everyone else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFkR43j8fY

Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
.....whyyyyy EXACTLY should a woman NOT be able to do whatever she wants without fear that a man will attack her and force his penis inside her? I mean, explain to me EXACTLY why this should not be so.
No one can do whatever they want. Everyone has social responsibilities to respect others, to use common sense, to heed warnings, to be conscientious, and to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions. Women may think that feminism means flaunting their right to do what they want when they want and everyone should accommodate their selfishness, but that has nothing to do with feminism.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, one can argue rapists who go to prison where the predator becomes the prey. Matter of fact, prison rape is an effective deterrent for most Americans.

It’s certainly an effective deterrent for me to not commit any crime.
What about a woman who helps her husband or boyfriend kidnap a young girl so he can rape her?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
OK. At the risk of being accused of mansplaning...

The world is a dangerous place that does not always function as we would like or think it should. As a society we do our best to lessen the risks. We have instituted severe penalties for violent crimes including rape. But we cannot eliminate all danger. Therefore common sense dictates that we take reasonable precautions to keep ourselves safe.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People can do stupid things to put themselves into dumb situations, but victim blaming needs to go away.

Just because I'm walking alone at night in the ghetto doesn't mean someone has the right to rob me. Is it smart? No, but it's still not my fault.

No more so than if you are attacked, after putting your arm in the cage of a polar bear at the zoo.
Yes chances are that you can sue the zoo and win a settlement because the cage wasn't made idiot proof.

Petting a strange dog often leads to (unprovoked) dog bites. Word to the wise, don't try to pet strange dogs. You do so at your own peril.
Humans are among the most vicious of all animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies