Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

I was critical of the ACA but there were a lot of positives- no penalty or lack of insurance for pre-existing conditions, for instance.

However, it was far too expensive for many. Even for us, a family of 5 with a very median household income, the most affordable ACA plans came in at $400-$500 a month, which would have seriously hurt, had we been forced to go that route.

With that said, anybody who actually believed Trump's claims, was either deluded, misinformed or it was a case of wishful thinking.

Healthcare and our expectations of healthcare need to be changed from the "ground up" if we are to ever have affordable healthcare for all in this country- that includes cutting a lot of the "fat" and profit from the system, and taking power away from big pharma.

I genuinely doubt any of that will occur in my lifetime though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
My company experience 20 percent increases this year. Thanks Trump.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Trump's promises: <<Lost amid the pundits’ applause for President Trump’s calmer demeanor in his speech to Congress Tuesday was a key shift that received far less national attention: the abandonment of promises made by candidate and President-elect Trump on healthcare.

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said in press conference Jan. 11. “We’re going to have a healthcare that is far less expensive and far better.”

Or, as he said in a September 2015 “60 Minutes” interview, “I am going to take care of everybody. Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now.”>>
I remember these promises very well. If he had been a positive influence in this I would have supported him over it.

His performance after taking office makes him out as having been the kind of guy who would say anything to get elected. Obviously, he is 'in bed' with Big Pharma and other vested interests. His appointment of Alex Azar illustrates that perfectly.

This is a betrayal of the people.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:39 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I was critical of the ACA but there were a lot of positives- no penalty or lack of insurance for pre-existing conditions, for instance.

However, it was far too expensive for many. Even for us, a family of 5 with a very median household income, the most affordable ACA plans came in at $400-$500 a month, which would have seriously hurt, had we been forced to go that route.

With that said, anybody who actually believed Trump's claims, was either deluded, misinformed or it was a case of wishful thinking.

Healthcare and our expectations of healthcare need to be changed from the "ground up" if we are to ever have affordable healthcare for all in this country- that includes cutting a lot of the "fat" and profit from the system, and taking power away from big pharma.

I genuinely doubt any of that will occur in my lifetime though.
The ACA was poorly crafted and not implemented with all the features that it should have had to be successful. I think we all knew that going in. It needed a single payer option, it really needed the mandatory buy in or fine, and it needed much tougher controls on industry. That it didn't have all of these things made it a 2-legged stool--not much fun to sit on.

That said, it was a very small step in the right direction to try to gain some control over some of the market and to offer some protection for people. In that, it did succeed. There was a definite, measured decrease to costs. While some individuals (or most) didn't notice it, the overall output to insurers was reduced. Additionally, coverage was there for people who had been previously shut out of the health insurance.

Congress could have done a MUCH better job back when the ACA was being pushed. But we had an obstructionist Congress who wasn't interested in working on it at all so a piece of legislation that didn't go far enough was pushed through.

I agree with you that something needs to be done. We are certainly going backwards now. Making the ACA worse than it was and no solution in sight (nor care of one). Not sure where that big promise went to.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Trump and Rubio screwed over most working people by de-stabilizing the healthcare insurance industry, driving rates up even faster than before.

We need Medicare for all, and we need Medicare to have the freedom to leverage it's buying power for better pricing, particularly on pharmaceuticals but in all other areas as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Try getting cancer care without insurance. That says it all.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Whether or not ACA was the "right solution" is certainly debatable.

What is not debatable:
-On the whole, healthcare cost inflation slowed during ACA
-Since Trump has begun to dismantle it, costs have begun to rise again
-ACA was an improvement over what we had before it (if not a final solution)
-Current "plan" is a step backwards.

Some will dispute this, but they do so from an emotional perspective. Objectively, they are verifiably wrong.
Germany has had Universal Healthcare since 1883. No two countries do Universal Healthcare the same way. Some are Single Payer. Some are completely private insurer pay. Most are a mixed bag.

Some require all employers to contribute. Some do not.

What they have in common is the individual mandate.

The rest of the developed world make annual adjustments and periodically reform their healthcare systems. They don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

75 % of US adults are overweight/ obese. As such, the population is substantially more vulnerable to heart disease, Diabetes and ensuing complications, stroke, some Cancers and joint deterioration. The US consumes far more than its fair share of mood altering and pain medications. It should come as no surprise the US spends more on healthcare.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I had 100% increase first year of ACA as my company was an "early adopter." Should I thank Obama? Should the American people still argue over who is president?

Or maybe take a LOOK AT THE ISSUE ITSELF????

You know, because the issue is a constant and presidents come and go??

Nah, that would be the smart thing to do. Address the issue.

It's just more fun to name call and blame "the other guy."

Old 05-23-2018, 07:50 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump and Rubio screwed over most working people by de-stabilizing the healthcare insurance industry, driving rates up even faster than before.

We need Medicare for all, and we need Medicare to have the freedom to leverage it's buying power for better pricing, particularly on pharmaceuticals but in all other areas as well.
We dont need Medicare for all. Its a system that has many flaws and in my experience it stinks. For starters ,We need a health ins system that has buying power for drugs, yes. We need a medical system where hospitals are fair in their pricing structure. We need a medical system where the dr looks at the whole patient not only the age, disease process etc. we need a medical system where big pharma isnt promoting every new drug under the sun. And we need to get rid of the drug ads off tv. All of that for starters but none of it is going to happen because this is a capitalistic society and capitalism rules all.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
there is no such thing as TrumpCare, keep making things up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies