Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Why does any country play their national anthem at sporting events?

What’s a national anthem got to do with anything?

"The U.S. is not alone."

RALLY CRY Six Nations 2018: Why do Ireland sing Ireland’s Call as rugby national anthem and will the Soldier’s song also be played at Twickenham?

"Drenched in passion, the Six Nations is always an emotional affair - and the anthems are always a highlight in an afternoon of high drama.

But why do the Ireland rugby team sing Ireland's Call as a national anthem instead of The Soldier's Song?"

What makes a good leader great? The ones who lead, by example. Maybe the U.S. doesn't want to lead any more and if that's the case ... there are plenty more countries in the world willing to take that place.

Our symbols are reminders to us where as, as a country the pain, the suffering and the deaths it took, to get from then to now. And to let us know that through it all ... we became better than what we once were and a beacon of light to the rest of the world.

They're simple reminders really meant to inspire us to move forward and keep up the fight for our freedoms against oppressive governments, that would love it the most, if we did nothing else, but became just like them.

We need to figure this out, because if we don't, the deaths of thousands, so as to give us the time and the freedoms to do so, will have been in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I was thinking about horse races. Haven't been to a horse race in decades, and I don't recall whether or not they had the national anthem before the races started. Anyone been to a horse race recently? After all, that's a sporting event, too.
Never have I heard the anthem before a horse race and why the hell would it be played there? "My Old Kentucky Home" is appropriate for the Kentucky Derby but the anthem would be a ridiculous prelude to a horse racing event. And yes, it's stupid at sports events as well. Never heard it at a boxing match either.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
In Taiwan, until recently, they played the national anthem before all movies and stage performances.

In India, it's required to play that at cinemas.

My mom is a LEGAL immigrant from Taiwan, and when she was growing up, all children had to stand and sing the national anthem at the start of the school day in addition to their equivalent of the Pledge of Allegiance, and there was no opting out of it! I believe its the same in South Korea and Japan.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What makes a good leader great? The ones who lead, by example. Maybe the U.S. doesn't want to lead any more and if that's the case ... there are plenty more countries in the world willing to take that place.
More like the U.S. is completely bankrupt financially and can longer afford to be the world's hall monitor.

Quote:
They're simple reminders really meant to inspire us to move forward and keep up the fight for our freedoms against oppressive governments, that would love it the most, if we did nothing else, but became just like them.
The U.S. government oppresses its own people. Yet the people still bend over and take it.

People fought a revolution over taxes and import duties. Those same people fought a rebellion over whiskey taxes. Today's Americans are content with letting the government spy on them and steal a third of their income.

Quote:
We need to figure this out, because if we don't, the deaths of thousands, so as to give us the time and the freedoms to do so, will have been in vain.
If the troops were really fighting for our freedoms, they'd invade and bomb Washington, D.C.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
More like the U.S. is completely bankrupt financially and can longer afford to be the world's hall monitor.

The U.S. government oppresses its own people. Yet the people still bend over and take it.

People fought a revolution over taxes and import duties. Those same people fought a rebellion over whiskey taxes. Today's Americans are content with letting the government spy on them and steal a third of their income.

If the troops were really fighting for our freedoms, they'd invade and bomb Washington, D.C.
Are you sure you want to call yourself a Libertarian?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post

I'm a sucker for traditions, but not stupid ones. And yeah, I am no patriot. Have not got a patriotic bone in my body. This is just a place on the map where I happen to have been born. If I'd been born somewhere else, I'd live there instead. No big deal either way.
You should be grateful you live in the U.S.A. But I do realize there are many anti-Americans out there.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:29 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So when you are home watching these games, you stand for the anthem?
NO, Just as when I was in the military, if I was in doors I didn't stand and salute the flag when they played our anthem every morning, or in the evening when they played taps and lowered the flag.
I also don't fly my flag in the rain or at night or on days other than a few holidays.
Do you dress your best for every meal at home?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
A sporting event is a mass entertainment event, no different than a movie or a concert.

Do we say the national anthem before a movie? No.

Do we say the national anthem before a concert? No. (maybe a few here and there do it)

So, why do we say the national anthem before a sporting event? All the brouhaha about the national anthem before an NFL game could be avoided just by making an NFL game no different than going to a concert, and not singing the national anthem at all.

Sadly, if some head honchos at the NFL or NBA or MLB suggested such a thing, there would undoubtedly be cries of protest from a certain camp who would accuse those head honchos of being unpatriotic, and yadda yadda. But I don't hear those same people telling everyone we need to say the national anthem before a Taylor Swift concert.
Actually, if you go to a movie theater on a military installation, yes they do play the National Anthem before they show the movie.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Like sports, war is a team effort.

We pay tribute to those who have fallen and honor those that gave their lives for our freedoms at the beginning of the sporting event(s).

I can't get through the national anthem, without tears. I guess that's just me.
Me too. Now it has a completely different meaning to me.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Actually, if you go to a movie theater on a military installation, yes they do play the National Anthem before they show the movie.
The "Military" word might be a hint as to why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies