Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:33 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Polygamy leads to violence because lots of men end up single with nothing better to do than fight. In polygamous societies no self-respecting man would share a wife but women would rather share a rich husband than have a poor one all to themselves. No thank you.

https://www.economist.com/the-econom...eeds-civil-war
LOL. Wow. there have been many polygamous societies throughout history that were incredibly peaceful.

And in a modern society that can be even more true. I've been involved where I was one of several males, and as the only male with several females. Both worked to varying degrees.

Your first mistake is thinking all poly groups are one male with multiple female partners. And thats the mistake the author of your link makes as well. The states he discusses all involve religions where the male can have multiple wives, but not vice versa.

There are a LOT more people involved in poly relationships then most people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,550,049 times
Quote:
Polygamy leads to violence because lots of men end up single with nothing better to do than fight. In polygamous societies no self-respecting man would share a wife but women would rather share a rich husband than have a poor one all to themselves. No thank you.

https://www.economist.com/the-econom...eeds-civil-war
Single motherhood leads to more violence.

Homosexuality among men leads to even more violence.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:06 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
It's a tax and bureaucracy nightmare?

If you marry more than one spouse, it'd be a problem with property being willed to the next spouse? In a court of law, there'd be massive confusion? Also, one has to bring up child custody.

Is there a moral standard, or just legal standard that made bigamy/polygamy illegal?
Don't worry, I'm sure that the Leftists are plotting at this moment to make it legal and to make those who object guilty of "hate speech" laws.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:11 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,114,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure that the Leftists are plotting at this moment to make it legal and to make those who object guilty of "hate speech" laws.
How is getting the government out of peoples' private lives "leftist?"

Get the State out of marriage completely.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post

LOL. even the leftists have no idea how to make our laws work around the idea. course large scale chain families and the sort would probably reduce abortion, so im surprised you are so against it.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:30 PM

609 posts, read 302,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. Wow. there have been many polygamous societies throughout history that were incredibly peaceful.

And in a modern society that can be even more true. I've been involved where I was one of several males, and as the only male with several females. Both worked to varying degrees.

Your first mistake is thinking all poly groups are one male with multiple female partners. And thats the mistake the author of your link makes as well. The states he discusses all involve religions where the male can have multiple wives, but not vice versa.

There are a LOT more people involved in poly relationships then most people think.
Generally polyamory is one male and multiple females. I simply observed that self-respecting males don't want to share a wife (sure there are undesirable beta males who do, maybe you're the rare exception to that rule, maybe not). My statement that polygamous societies are more violent is based on verifiable fact that you don't have an answer for.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,290 times
If the state cannot dictate the genders of people involved in civil unions then it also cannot dictate the number of participants.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,290 times
Quote:
Generally polyamory is one male and multiple females. I simply observed that self-respecting males don't want to share a wife (sure there are undesirable beta males who do, maybe you're the rare exception to that rule, maybe not). My statement that polygamous societies are more violent is based on verifiable fact that you don't have an answer for.
I'd think a guy would have to be a little bit homosexual to be ok with sharing a wife.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:34 AM

37,792 posts, read 40,977,589 times
The laws exist to protect you from excessive nagging and whining.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,677,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Single motherhood leads to more violence.

Homosexuality among men leads to even more violence.

Yep, but the violence also exists among homosexual women. Some of the worse domestic calls I answered as a police officer involved homosexual women. Very, very jealous and vindictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies