Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 03:48 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,845,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
One of the most terrifying things I've ever read.

Why? How would it impact how you live your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:49 PM

37,940 posts, read 17,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I perfectly okay to amending the first amendment of the US constitution to regulate hate speech.
Because rights don't matter to you. Right comrade?

Old 05-25-2018, 03:56 PM

7,745 posts, read 6,316,377 times
What was she doing to stir him up so completely?

It was NY, what can you expect?

Old 05-25-2018, 04:06 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,097,680 times
Quote:
Why? How would it impact how you live your life?
Seriously? I'm a libertarian; liberals and conservatives both hate me.

Imagine if Trump had unilateral power to censor speech. Ever hear of reeducation camps?

Jesus.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:16 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,845,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Seriously? I'm a libertarian; liberals and conservatives both hate me.

Imagine if Trump had unilateral power to censor speech. Ever hear of reeducation camps?

Jesus.
No, you missed the point there needs to be a narrow definition of hate speech.

I was thinking more in terms of protecting certain groups, here is hate speech is define by Dictionary.com "speech that attacks, threatens, or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability"

Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,989,520 times
Quote:

I was thinking more in terms of protecting certain groups, here is hate speech is define by Dictionary.com "speech that attacks, threatens, or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability"
you'd have to define "attack" and how would that be demonstrated?

It sounds simple, but any lawyer can throw a wrench into that.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,701,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Glad this video was shared and he was identified. Absolutely disgusting behavior. Lock him up!

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...483530341.html
Okay the guy's a dick. Obviously.

But if New York has some "hate speech" law, it's about to die. The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled on this. The instant this comes before a federal judge who isn't a Progressive Activist, this thing dies there and then. If it has to go all the way to the Supreme Court so that they can once again rule that there is no such thing as hate speech, then that's what will have to happen. There is no such thing as "hate speech" only free speech. If he said anything that created a threat to attack or kill her, that's a crime. Did he do something along those lines? If not, we're about to waste a lot of time and money on a court case that will ultimately fail and the State of New York will have to pay him for whatever time he spends in prison for it.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,097,680 times
Quote:

No, there needs to be no definition of speech, period, other than an imminent threat.

"Hate speech" is a made-up term, like "safe space" and "microaggression." It doesn't exist in real life.

Is it hate speech when a group of African-Americans calls a group of alt-righters "Nazis?"

Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,479,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
For what? Talking? A hate crime requires an underlying crime.
Ruggiero allegedly approached the 25-year-old victim, who's from Lynbrook, and raised his hand toward her and threatened to "smack the [expletive] out of you, you loud mouth monkey [expletive]."

He continued to scream at the woman, calling her a "black monkey," and that she should "Get off at Jamaica. Get off in the ghetto," then imitated the sounds monkeys make.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:48 PM

37,940 posts, read 17,775,263 times
Quote:

The focus should be on an actual crime and not on the emphasis on which protected group an individual is grouped in with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies