Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They'll know when the scholarship fund comes up short for annual donations and U Minnesota has to offer fewer scholarships. Anyone stupid enough to pay top dollar, and very likely go into tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt, for a school that violates anyone's First Amendment Rights deserves what they get.
OR it could be some 500 lb guy sitting on his couch . . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Really -- this means nothing.

well clearly it means -something-.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
An anonymous letter?

Really -- this means nothing.

It could be his is a major donor or just pretends to be.

We will never know.
You very well could be correct. We've all seen first hand a few of the repulsive left try and shut down dialogue. That said one has to take the anonymus with a huge grain of salt. Plus the not donating hasn't happened yet and if it did how would one know if this person was actually a donor in the first place unless we knew the persons name?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
The MSM news each night say they got information on Trump from anonymous sources and pass it off as fact. No different here as far as I can see. When someone called anonymous tips off MSM about Trump it is reported as fact but someone called anonymous here should be ignored?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The MSM news each night say they got information on Trump from anonymous sources and pass it off as fact. No different here as far as I can see. When someone called anonymous tips off MSM about Trump it is reported as fact but someone called anonymous here should be ignored?
You really should inform yourself about how journalism works. Anonymous sources are still real people who talk to journalists, who fact check the information by confirming with multiple sources. They agree to not name those sources because they are people who are afraid of losing their jobs, sometimes worse. That doesn't mean that reporters just make this stuff up, regardless of what FakePresident Trump claims.

And so no, it's not even remotely the same as some unidentified person who claims to be a big donor but apparently didn't even identify themselves in the letter they sent to the president of the university. Like reputable journalists, the university could have kept the name anonymous but would have still be able to verify the claim that this was a major donor. The odds of this being legit are minimal to nil.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:28 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Universities are often pits anyway. Many just accumulate money to accumulate money.
1) Give to organizations that work to improve the lives of the WORKING poor.
2) Give to the more efficient anti disease charities
3) Give to various training scholarship funds for the trades.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You really should inform yourself about how journalism works. Anonymous sources are still real people who talk to journalists, who fact check the information by confirming with multiple sources. They agree to not name those sources because they are people who are afraid of losing their jobs, sometimes worse. That doesn't mean that reporters just make this stuff up, regardless of what FakePresident Trump claims.

And so no, it's not even remotely the same as some unidentified person who claims to be a big donor but apparently didn't even identify themselves in the letter they sent to the president of the university. Like reputable journalists, the university could have kept the name anonymous but would have still be able to verify the claim that this was a major donor. The odds of this being legit are minimal to nil.
You would not identify yourself either with the wackos on campus now. I think that is what the article says. People don't just disagree now they try to go to homes and protest face to face.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZsCXyiDzxI

Beware The Twitter Mob

Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You would not identify yourself either with the wackos on campus now. I think that is what the article says. People don't just disagree now they try to go to homes and protest face to face.
Of course I would identify myself to the president of the university if I were a major donor who expected my opinion to matter and influence the practices of the school. No one said this alleged donor had to send out a public letter to the world, but to the person who they were trying to influence? Yes, they need to prove they are who they claim they are to expect their concerns to have any significance.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Of course I would identify myself to the president of the university if I were a major donor who expected my opinion to matter and influence the practices of the school. No one said this alleged donor had to send out a public letter to the world, but to the person who they were trying to influence? Yes, they need to prove they are who they claim they are to expect their concerns to have any significance.
I'm sure the president of the university knows who it is, he didn't get a penny from the person this year. LOL It's a good idea to make his letter public to influence the other alumina to do the same but he still doesn't want his name known and that is smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies