Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 02:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Quite frankly, in the majority of cases it is not really that hard to get ID! I would think it would be very difficult to get by in our society without one. Don't banks require ID? How about programs to help the poor such as welfare and food stamps, etc...ID required? Purchase of alcohol? Purchase of a gun? Getting married?

I think you get the point.

Purchase a Gun? Nope. Lots of people buy guns with no ID. Legally.

https://thinkprogress.org/easier-to-...-095a34c11e02/

ID isn't required to purchase alcohol either. I bought alcohol recently and didn't need to show ID.

Last edited by sware2cod; 05-28-2018 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 04:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
61 votes is not going to swing an election either way.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the report or what but this was a team of investigators that totaled 63. Each tried to vote as someone that was ineligible including a bunch of very young people voting as elderly. 61 or 97% successfully cast a vote as someone esle.

While 61 votes is not going to swing most elections if this had occurred in Florida 97% of 1000 could of changed a presidential election if they were all voting for Gore.

The point is claims that it not easy to cast a fraudulent vote are clearly baseless when you have a 97% success rate.

Quote:
You sound like the type of person that would spend a million dollars to find 10,000 dollars in fraud.
I'm the type of person that believes our voting system is wide open to fraud for variety of reasons and a 97% success rate of committing fraud should be unacceptable to anyone.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
that is a different scenario than what I wrote (see below). those people were not 'anyone off the street'. they obviously had at least the names of people who were registered to vote.

Trying to justify this for anyone reason is just not going to fly. There was investigators in their 20's voting as elderly people.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

ID isn't required to purchase alcohol either. I bought alcohol recently and didn't need to show ID.

They said in that article you can buy one online without a background check, try it....

Old 05-28-2018, 05:23 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That's not my opinion - that is the opinion of liberals. And because many don't have acceptable ID's doesn't mean they don't have the "means" to get them. Many poor have iphones, cars, and TV's.

If it is TRULY about means - then let's help them get one. Anyone that can't afford to get one should get help if needed. You o.k. with that?

The push back from dems makes me think that they have ulterior motives rather than really wanting to help achieve free and fair elections.
The court cases indicate they don't have the means as far as transportation and access, I don't know why your bringing up cell phones and TV's. If they had a solution that would provide everyone who presently votes now the ability to vote with ID cards in the future they would not be challenged in the courts. That is not what took place in these states.

There is no mysterious conspiracy other than making sure everyone has access, but that was not the case. Look at North Carolina the republicans took a survey of democratic voters habits, then they excluded things like college ID cards and developed laws that would restrict their numbers. It was never about voter fraud.

So yes if they come up with a fair system that would be great. The appeals court sided with the new Texas voter ID laws, we will see if that holds true in the next election.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:33 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Voter ID laws by state. Very interesting to compare to the states controlled by democrats and who voted for Hillary.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_identi..._laws_by_state

How can you have free and fair elections if you can't confirm that a person voting is who they say they are and qualified to vote? Why would anyone not want voter ID laws?
It says Louisiana has Voter ID laws but aren't very strict and I agree as it says they can show a property bill, etc. These can be easily forged and someone can be dead and someone else still voting in their name. Also a property tax bill doesn't prove citizenship and doesn't protect from illegal aliens and anchor babies voting.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The court cases indicate they don't have the means as far as transportation and access, I don't know why your bringing up cell phones and TV's. If they had a solution that would provide everyone who presently votes now the ability to vote with ID cards in the future they would not be challenged in the courts. That is not what took place in these states.

There is no mysterious conspiracy other than making sure everyone has access, but that was not the case. Look at North Carolina the republicans took a survey of democratic voters habits, then they excluded things like college ID cards and developed laws that would restrict their numbers. It was never about voter fraud.

So yes if they come up with a fair system that would be great. The appeals court sided with the new Texas voter ID laws, we will see if that holds true in the next election.
What the heck is wrong with the Texas voter ID law anyway? Yes, you can used your concealed carry ID as proof, but it’s not the only proof accepted. They latched onto that to attempt a point, but I’m not buying it. No one lives four hours from a Texas DPS office, and one can get a certified copy of their birth certificate online. It’s not even that costly. I ordered one. If someone can’t cobble together $20 to order their record in two years, then they’ve got big problems. And a valid ID card could only help them with this problem (i.e., better job prospects).

I just think it’s the lamest excuse ever.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The court cases indicate they don't have the means as far as transportation and access,

Give me a break. People manage to get groceries, visit hospitals, get to the welfare office and numerous other things like a polling place to cast their vote. I'm sure they can mange to get to a licensing center once every 4 years, if they lived until they were 80 that's 15 times in an entire lifetime.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:59 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

ID for alcohol varies by state but some states even require an ID regardless of age. If there is any question about your age, an ID would be required in every state! Now can you get alcohol without ID, of course, ask any teenager....but that is breaking the law!

As far as gun purchases without ID, you are technically correct. Yes, it is possible if you seek out an unlicensed gun dealer for your purchase. That said, I have always had to show ID for any firearm I've purchased....including online purchases when they were to be picked up at an FFL. Fact is most gun purchases are done at brick and mortar stores and ID is required.

ID is required for many things we do and quite frankly, most people would be hard pressed to get along without one. If you really don't think that is the case. I suggest you discard all forms of ID and see how long it takes before it becomes an issue for you.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Election boards are bipartisan and they don't see any rampant fraud but these politicians know better.
Exactly. It is a made up problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies