Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

White woman accused of appropriating Maori culture with her chin tattoo: 'It's not acceptable'

What on earth does "appropriating a culture" mean?

Did some Maori woman wake up this morning and discover her "culture" missing? And that someone took it and somehow deprived her of it?

Sounds like someone decided they didn't have enough to whine and complain about. And so they invented this "Someone appropriated my culture" sulk out of thin air, and started "being offended" about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
White about soy boys and their cultural appropriation of women?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
This was in New Zealand.

Damn. Does this mean the rest of us all have to stop exaggerating, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Not your founding father. it’s our founding fathers.

How selfish of you.

Your personality is astounding.
“Selfish”, “astounding personality”.......lol. You just do not like how defiant toward the left wing agenda I am. In fact I would argue that some liberals are indeed aware of the fact that tens of millions of people will never yield, they will obstruct and prevent the liberal agenda from being implemented at all costs, no matter what. They realize what this means for our nation and they know the threat it poses to thier cause. I am one of tngose people. I hold the liberal social agenda, political correctness and all SJW causes with the highest level of contempt, they are IMO total enemies of our nation. The division they have caused has created a situation just as dangerous as the one we faced in the days before the civil war. A great trouble is coming one way or another because of this division, those who plan to restrict our basic rights (like free speech) will be to blame for what happens. What I find “astounding” is that any American would find it acceptable to restrict another Americans right of free speech or expression. The very thought other Americans would destroy our freedoms in the name of social justice is so infuriating I cannot even express it in words. Someone like this can only be seen as an enemy plain and simple.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm so confused. Aren't we supposed to be "celebrating diversity", but when someone does it, the SJWs come out of the closet, frothing at the mouth about "cultural appropriation". Which way do they want it?
This is the problem on every single issue. There is no way for white people to actually be "politically correct" and avoid criticism because the racial left makes conflicting, often opposite, demands.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
If anyone ever confronted me about cultural appropriation, they'd get a very long lecture about how the melting pot is what made this country the best in the world. It's called getting along, respect, and great food.

Mercifully, I think this cultural appropriation crap is a fad and will pass.

Facial tats are stupid. You want a tat? Fine, put it somewhere you can cover with your clothes for job interviews and such.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Is there anyone who hasn't appropriated some aspect of another culture? I will freely admit I like food from many different cultures!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Mercifully, I think this cultural appropriation crap is a fad and will pass.
I dunno, this stuff just seems to build on itself. Can you think of any PC-type issue that has come to be recognized as crap and abandoned? I'm sure there are, but I can think of one off the top of my head...

Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Goodness, you've let loose a lifetime worth of vitriol on people you don't know or understand.

Can't you make your point without name calling? Take the high road!

Awesome. So you're OK with NFL players kneeling before the games start to call attention to injustices in our society? Because ... You don't want to tell them what to do or say, right?
Ok nice try on the NFL. There is a big difference though between people expressing themselves on thier own time and employees (NFL players) expressing themselves while at work on the company dime (that is what they were doing). The team owners are the ones who have a say on whether these players are allowed to do this at games. On thier own time they are no different than anybody else, they can exercise thier free speech at will.

In general I always support free speech even if it’s speech I detest. Freedom comes with the obligation of tolerating unpopular or even ugly speech. This is the only way to gaurantee our freedoms are not being eroded.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So she's using a symbol that has a specific cultural meaning and significance in a way that has nothing to do with the culture it's coming from... And you don't think that's cultural appropriation? Why wouldn't you?
Because "cultural appropriation" is a bogus concept.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:52 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
If cultural appropriation is not to be allowed than "people of color" should all be running around in loincloths and barefoot, even in Minnesota winters.
And they most certainly shouldn't be speaking English or Spanish or French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies