Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
If any of y'all want to walk up to the nearest Maori and call him a snowflake, be my guest. I'll just stand a safe distance away and film it for youtube. Be a millionaire!
Are you insinuating they are violent people? You all never fail to disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:24 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I side with the Maori this woman is an idiot she isn't a member if their group she didn't earn that tattoo by random people stealing their symbols it serves to degrade the symbols that represent their cultural identity. There are certain symbols that are a part of my culture that aren't for outsiders to degrade. They can expect criticism as this woman should expect criticism by taking a symbol that doesn't belong to her. What a dumb ass.
Yes you are.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
Maori people should stop wearing white people clothing and using white people technology, its appropriating whiteey

Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Maori people should stop wearing white people clothing and using white people technology, its appropriating whiteey
They can also stop using western medicine and go back to snorting ground up rhino penis or whatever their local witch doctors recommend to cure illness.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Okay what is white people clothing and white people technology? Last I checked the whitees living in Appalachia and the rust belt don't contribute much to technological advancements.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm offended when people culturally appropriate electricity and automobiles. Only people of European descent may use those.
Europeans didn’t create electricity, nature did.

And what automobiles did YOU create? None.

So you’re appropriating just as much as anyone else driving a car.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Europeans didn’t create electricity, nature did.

And what automobiles did YOU create? None.

So you’re appropriating just as much as anyone else driving a car.
And the Arabs invented algebra. Can't have those fancy algorithms in modern cars without algebra haha.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So she's using a symbol that has a specific cultural meaning and significance in a way that has nothing to do with the culture it's coming from... And you don't think that's cultural appropriation? Why wouldn't you?

It's one thing if you don't agree with it, but that's a pretty concrete example of what cultural appropriation is.

I can understand the Maori point about this....

Old 05-27-2018, 02:07 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times
But---does it make it a difference that she is married to a man who is Maori? Isn't that a little different than just "stealing" someone else's culture? In this case, it is sharing/celebrating her husband's culture? (He has full face tattoos and has said he is okay with what his wife has done.)

Was it cultural misappropriation that the Royal wedding had such an African-American flavor, with the minister/choir, etc. (I think the cellist was black but what and how he played was beyond race)? Yes, I know Meghan is 50% black, but she was marrying into a uber-white family. Most of the guests were white. Should they have been allowed to listen to a black choir, which has deep spiritual roots and whose purpose isn't to entertain rich white folks? Or maybe is it just more positive than negative when someone wants to explore/share/celebrate another culture in our ethnocentric zenophobic world?

I'd be concerned if people were stealing other cultures, like stealing irreplaceable objects of religious and historical value. If there was a patent on these tattoos and only 100 people a year were allowed to get them, then of course it would be outrageous for a nonMaori to get one. But it's not a zero-sum game. Millions of white people could get them and still all the Maoris who wanted them could have them too....and it wouldn't have to lose the cultural significance because they would know they came by them honestly. The tattoos originated not to differentiate themselves from whites but because they developed a culture where these markings meant something to them---and they still can!

Also---she can't undermine the sacredness of the symbols because the symbols themselves have no power. It's what precedes them---the genetic inheritance, the culture, and any rituals that must be done to earn it. She can have "Superwoman" tattooed across her chest, but that won't get her superpowers. It won't even enable her to fly! So a true Maori knows they earned the tattoo. This woman acquired the tattoo by just having the money to purchase one and the ability to convince a tattoo artist to do it.

I think she is hurting herself more than Maori people because the time may come when she regrets the tattoo (when she gets divorced from her husband or her skin starts sagging and it doesn't look as good)!

Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Louis Armstrong had a great line regarding white musicians playing jazz. Upon meeting white trombone player Jack Teagarden for the first time Armstrong said: "You're an ofay [white person]. I'm a spade. Let's blow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies