Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I had 5 roommates.
So what does that prove? If you were working 40 hours a week, then this must have been before the minimum wage was raised to $7.25 an hour in order for you to only have $900 a month in take home pay. Since rents were about 30-40% cheaper a decade ago it doesn't sound like much of a struggle for 5 people to rent an apartment with each paying what, $200 a month at the most?

I'd like to hear how a family of 3 earning $12 an hour and paying $1000-$1100 in rent + utilities is supposed to get by because that is exactly what's happening to a good number of people and it is simply unsustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what does that prove? If you were working 40 hours a week, then this must have been before the minimum wage was raised to $7.25 an hour in order for you to only have $900 a month in take home pay. Since rents were about 30-40% cheaper a decade ago it doesn't sound like much of a struggle for 5 people to rent an apartment with each paying what, $200 a month at the most?

I'd like to hear how a family of 3 earning $12 an hour and paying $1000-$1100 in rent + utilities is supposed to get by because that is exactly what's happening to a good number of people and it is simply unsustainable.
I was single and working part time.

Why does anybody earning $12/hour have a family of three? And why they are paying $1000 rent?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It has always been.

I have seen workers promoted to supervisors making over $60,000 within 6 months.
Not with large companies, there is almost no flexibility in pay raises and they generally are not based on anything other than how long you have worked for the company. Promotions are few and far between and in many cases the very best line employee will never be considered for a management job because they lack the requisite education. I'd be surprised if anyone working for McDonald's for $10 and hour ends up earning even 20k a year after 6 months.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Maybe because society in general have a habit of trying to keep up with the Joneses but I don't think they're referring to everyone who does.
Good point.

One thing that would help is barring home-owners with FHA-backed mortgages from obtaining HELOCs.

If they want a HELOC, they should be forced to convert their FHA mortgage to a conventional mortgage first.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Not with large companies, there is almost no flexibility in pay raises and they generally are not based on anything other than how long you have worked for the company. Promotions are few and far between and in many cases the very best line employee will never be considered for a management job because they lack the requisite education. I'd be surprised if anyone working for McDonald's for $10 and hour ends up earning even 20k a year after 6 months.
You must have never worked at that pay grade.

At that pay grade, it’s a giant revolving door. People get fired, find other works or just simply don’t show up all the time. Opportunities are the all the time.

And you didn’t answer my question.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I was single and working part time.

Why does anybody earning $12/hour have a family of three? And why they are paying $1000 rent?
Gee whiz..maybe someone got pregnant, stuff like that happens...or maybe they had a better job when they decided to have a child and they were laid off. I know nothing like that ever happens to folks like yourself who always plan for every possible outcome in every given situation, but not everyone is perfect like you.
The median rent for a 2 bdrm apt nationwide is $1042 a month, Median rent 2 bdrm apt 2018"]here are rents for several different areas in the US. Of course there are places with 2 bdrm apartments for less than $1,000 but it's unlikely that jobs pay as much in those states as they do in other areas.

This site makes that case better than I can, just enter the municipality and see what a living wage is for pretty much any place in the US. Living Wage Calculator

Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 PM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
How nice for you

Feel better now that you've shared how much better off you are than 40% of Americans?
Actually, I'm sad that 60% of us have morons for parents. Does that help?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Gee whiz..maybe someone got pregnant, stuff like that happens...or maybe they had a better job when they decided to have a child and they were laid off. I know nothing like that ever happens to folks like yourself who always plan for every possible outcome in every given situation, but not everyone is perfect like you.
The median rent for a 2 bdrm apt nationwide is $1042 a month, Median rent 2 bdrm apt 2018"]here are rents for several different areas in the US. Of course there are places with 2 bdrm apartments for less than $1,000 but it's unlikely that jobs pay as much in those states as they do in other areas.

This site makes that case better than I can, just enter the municipality and see what a living wage is for pretty much any place in the US. Living Wage Calculator
Gee whiz! Stuff does “just happen.”

Unless you decide to put that thing inside that thing, nobody would get pregnant.

Why would anybody have children when they don’t have the means to support their own children?

Why can’t they rent an one bedroom? I grew up with my parents and siblings in one tiny room. The bathroom iswas shared with three more families.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

So agin... why do we want more poor people to immigrate to the US?? Why are we educating their illegal children for free?
It is racist to prevent people from immigrating and refusing to fund their children's education.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Looks like 40 percent of America is living paycheck to paycheck.
when has that not been the case? Most people are bad with money. Granted, my savings account isn't what it should be either, so I really have no room to talk other than the 5k in silver coins sitting in my safe.

Honestly, we're a country full of people that values wants over needs, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies