Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 09:30 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You didn’t answer my question. Why can’t cheap houses and apartments be built? There is obviously a huge demand.
Do you not know what a builder must do to build something?
A builder has to obtain the same permits and follow the same regulations no matter what they are building and as long as they can still make a profit then fees and regulations will not deter them, they are simply a cost of doing business.

Even if you eliminated all fees and regulations why would someone build 30 low income apartments that each would rent for $800 a month when in the same space they could build 15 luxury apartments that will rent for $10,000 a month? That's something my 6 year old grandson can understand, I'm not sure why you can't. As long as there are people who can and will pay $10,000 a month for a place to live then that's what will be built and you can't blame investors or builders for that, what they are doing is completely logical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A builder has to obtain the same permits and follow the same regulations no matter what they are building and as long as they can still make a profit then fees and regulations will not deter them, they are simply a cost of doing business.

Even if you eliminated all fees and regulations why would someone build 30 low income apartments that each would rent for $800 a month when in the same space they could build 15 luxury apartments that will rent for $10,000 a month? That's something my 6 year old grandson can understand, I'm not sure why you can't. As long as there are people who can and will pay $10,000 a month for a place to live then that's what will be built and you can't blame investors or builders for that, what they are doing is completely logical
Not true. The builder has to submit his building design for approval. He can’t build a giant apartment complex in Palo Ato because it wouldn’t meet the aesthetic requirement. The city and HOA etc. won’t allow such abomination to be built in their neighborhoods.

Why can’t the renter rent the $800 apartment to 5 guys and charge $200 each? Even a 6 years old would understand that. I am not sure why you can’t.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Quote:
Read this real carefully... they do live within their means but frequently that means being homeless, get it now? 58% of the kids in the East Palo Alto School district are homeless, their parents aren't on welfare, they are the grunts who mop the floors at Facebook and Google, or cook gourmet lunches for the techies at Pinterest. Most are contract workers earning $15-$18 an hour with no benefits, the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Palo Alto is $2832, for a 2 bedroom it is $3329. I'll let you do the math. Take home pay for a full time worker earning $15 an hour in California is $2152. So they sleep in their cars or in RV's or rent a garage from someone for $1000 a month. If they aren't lucky enough to score a job with a tech company they work at Walmart or McDonald's for $11 an hour.
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/11...er-rv-parking/
Ok, so what on earth such people are doing in one of the highest COL areas in the whole country?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
That’s incredible the district has 58 % kids as homeless .

I feel bad for the kids . The parents should make a decision like many in California are making to move to lower cost states where they can actually work a lower income job but still don’t have to live in an RV .

Maybe the city making them move their RV will be a wake up call for them .

There will never be enough housing to meet the demand of everyone in the world that wants to live in places like Palo Alto , San Francisco and other high cost places .

Old 06-02-2018, 10:11 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
I had two planned pregnancies and gave birth to two wonderful boys. After being married for 11 years my husband left to start a "new life" with some random woman. He quit his job and moved out of state, he emptied our savings account ran up several thousands in credit card debt that I ended up paying off never paid a penny in support, nor did he ever return to visit his children.

If I had a crystal ball then I would have known it was not a good idea to marry and have children with him but I didn't, why is that hard for you to understand? Get over yourself, life can kick you in the teeth no matter how well prepared you think you are.

All this smug superiority and finger wagging from anonymous internet posters...do you really think anyone takes it seriously?
You had many legal options to go after him. Did you?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
I had two planned pregnancies and gave birth to two wonderful boys. After being married for 11 years my husband left to start a "new life" with some random woman. He quit his job and moved out of state, he emptied our savings account ran up several thousands in credit card debt that I ended up paying off never paid a penny in support, nor did he ever return to visit his children.

If I had a crystal ball then I would have known it was not a good idea to marry and have children with him but I didn't, why is that hard for you to understand? Get over yourself, life can kick you in the teeth no matter how well prepared you think you are.
Then WORK your way out of it and/or seek charity. DON'T forcefully pick others' pockets to pay for YOUR responsibility. Get over yourself.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That’s incredible the district has 58 % kids as homeless .

I feel bad for the kids . The parents should make a decision like many in California are making to move to lower cost states where they can actually work a lower income job but still don’t have to live in an RV .

Maybe the city making them move their RV will be a wake up call for them .

There will never be enough housing to meet the demand of everyone in the world that wants to live in places like Palo Alto , San Francisco and other high cost places .
The people in HK, China, Tokyo, etc. would strongly disagree.

It turns out when people are allowed to build, there are plenty houses for everyone.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:15 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
If you have a family with children sleeping in an RV or in an unheated garage I think it's fair to say that they are homeless.
If you saw our RV you'd probably change your mind. It's nicer than most people's stick houses. We plan on living in it 6 months of winter every year.

Sat dish, 3 slide outs, toy hauler,two full baths. These easily list at 300K but I don't buy new.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:15 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You had many legal options to go after him. Did you?
Exactly. Family court would be more than happy to slap a garnish on all his future wages. I've seen it happen.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:21 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The people in HK, China, Tokyo, etc. would strongly disagree.

It turns out when people are allowed to build, there are plenty houses for everyone.
All those places have very high housing costs too . One reason they come to look at investing in real estate here in the U.S

Plenty of housing in California too , if one can afford it .

If one has an unlimited budget there isn’t a housing shortage . You can buy or rent a house today .

People want cheap rent and cheap homes .

Viewed from Beijing, Even Silicon Valley Housing Looks Affordable
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zillow/.../#49cbdfb9cc11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies