Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's funny, the left likes laws to prevent crime but when people break the law like illegal aliens, the left defends the law breakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who is "the left", and how are they defending law breakers?
- The left... Liberals and progressives under the party of Democrats..
- Lawbreakers... illegal aliens protected in sanctuary cities..

Don't agree? Read this

Totalitarian Mind Control... people’s criminal qualities became disguised and excused with euphemisms: “Illegal aliens” became “illegal immigrants” and then “undocumented immigrants” and presto-chango, something bad was magically transformed into something good.
Liberalism/political_correctness_and_mind_control.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I definitely missed your point.

Would you marry and have babies with a serial rapist or a child molester? Or someone who has filed bankruptcy repeatedly? How about someone with depression all his/her life or family history of breast cancer? How about someone who has no job and lived with his parents all his life?

My point is that without knowing the background, criminal, financial, health (both mental and physical), one puts himself/herself in great peril, particularly for the children they may have.

Even those are checked out, why not marry someone who's successful in life, not only financially but in all other areas of life? Why marry a loser?
You do realize that many child molesters were married to a woman who had no clue of it. What about Bill Cosby who drugged women before raping them, his wife is in denial defending him by attacking the women and the court system.

You do realize that filing for bankruptcy is often related to medical costs right? It is that fluke case of cancer that wasn't in family history (either through death) or is "environmental". I have a family friend who her husband nearly died due to Valley Fever, if she didn't have a good health plan and a lawsuit seeking damages from his employer who allegedly got him sick, she might be in bankruptcy to restructure if not write off his medical expenses. I have another close personal friend that might need to seek that where her husband dies from terminal skin cancer that spread to his lungs.

Mental and physical health aren't easy to detect. Just because you have breast cancer in your family don't mean you can come down with it, just as having a mother with HIV don't mean we will see her produce AIDS babies due to modern medicine breakthroughs (though still uncommon.) Mental health is often an iceberg since we don't know a lot. What we do know is it is somewhat genetic but often many go for years undiagnosed or mask their problems with alcohol and drug addiction.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
- The left... Liberals and progressives under the party of Democrats..
- Lawbreakers... illegal aliens protected in sanctuary cities.. Don't agree? Read this
Totalitarian Mind Control... people’s criminal qualities became disguised and excused with euphemisms: “Illegal aliens” became “illegal immigrants” and then “undocumented immigrants” and presto-chango, something bad was magically transformed into something good.
Liberalism/political_correctness_and_mind_control.html
truenews, run by the RWNJ Rick Wiles whose recent op eds include such gems as:

The Antichrist ‘Will Be A Homosexual Jew’

‘Death Squads’ Are Carrying Out Mass Shootings To Justify Gun Control'

‘America Smells Like Putrid Vomit In The Nostrils Of The Lord’

Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Forty Percent Of Americans Don’t Even Have Four Hundred Bucks To Their Names

But I will bet anything they have cable TV.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

No way. Probably 50% of everyone I know has either already cut the cord or is in the process of doing so.

Pretty soon this tired argument will be taken away from you.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
No way. Probably 50% of everyone I know has either already cut the cord or is in the process of doing so.

Pretty soon this tired argument will be taken away from you.
Oh I doubt that very much.

Sorry, "50% of everyone you know" is not a serious study, but rather anecdotal evidence. For all we know you are making it up or know only stupid people who are financially irresponsible.

Not to mention cutting the chord is a recent thing whereas financial distress is as old as the monetary system.

Grow up.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:

Yes, of course...poor blaming/poor shaming...it's makes it so easy to dismiss the financial difficulties of tens of millions by just using the following sentence and substituting whatever you deem as a sinful thing for the poor or working class to possess:

But I will bet anything they have ____________
Cable TV
60" TV Sets
expensive tennis shoes
iphones
weekly manicures
fancy cars
etc, etc.

Much easier than having a rational discussion about the collapse of the middle class and the growing disparity between the ultra rich and the rest of us.

Animation: The Collapse of the Middle Class in 20 Major U.S. Cities

Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Oh I doubt that very much.

Sorry, "50% of everyone you know" is not a serious study, but rather anecdotal evidence. For all we know you are making it up or know only stupid people who are financially irresponsible.

Not to mention cutting the chord is a recent thing whereas financial distress is as old as the monetary system.

Grow up.
The only people I know who have cable are old. They're used to it & aren't familiar with newer technology. Has nothing to do with financial irresponsibility. Grow up.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I don't think too many women would knowingly do that.

Like Donald Trump?

Many people can control their depression symptoms with medication or other means. Why shouldn't they be able to find love and happiness, too?

Seriously? You wouldn't marry someone on the offchance that they may get breast cancer? What about adopted people who don't know their birth parents medical histories? Are they disqualified?

Things like that do raise a red flag with many.

Sometimes, background doesn't immediately tell us anything though.

My first husband was from a solid middle class family, with no red flags in his immediate or extended family, or friendship circle... yet he ended up being extremely controling, impulsive and abusive- despite showing no signs of any problem prior to marriage.

People can hide their true selves, people can lie, and some things can change or develop later on.

My current husband is an absolutely amazing man- but when I married him, I had no idea that he would end up suffering from PTSD from a deployment after marriage. He isn't abusive, he works, and he still loves the children and I, but certainly has problems within himself from it. Thankfully, he's fully aware and goes to therapy for it. Similarly, it doesn't make me love him any less, even though we have some challenges because of it. It is nothing that love and respect can't overcome.

Also, his father passed away aged 62 from a heart attack a couple of years ago- a man who outwardly looked the epitome of health, (may he RIP). Now, my husband too is considered to be at higher risk of cardiac issues. I certainly didn't know that when we got married and had children, and neither did he.

I don't think anybody knowingly sets out to marry a loser. At the same time, most rational people realize that nobody is perfect and that people make mistakes, even with the best intentions.

Are you married?
I've been married for a long.

The point is likelihood.

I can give you a hundred examples that some otherwise outstanding citizens somehow just flipped, but that still doesn't disapprove the point that if a person has been an outstanding person, the likelihood of that person behave differently is very low. How low? 2.4/100,000 people vs. 3813/100,000.

On the flip side, if the person has been a douche bag or a criminal, the likelihood of the person suddenly becomes an outstanding citizen is low. Statistically, the recidivism rate is 77%. So go figure.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Looks like 40 percent of America is living paycheck to paycheck.

https://www.silverdoctors.com/headli...o-their-names/
But they do have an iPhone and tickets to some concert while also paying for their kids eating out every week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies