Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times

Advertisements

It's so sad and pathetic that the State controls what kind of treatment a patient can receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,647,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
If you are signed up at the White House's website you get daily emails which tell you, without media filters, what the day's schedule is and the status of various bills, speeches, trips, etc. In today's email it mentioned Trump would be signing the Right to Try Act at 12:15 ET today. I assume the White House youtube channel will cover it and/or Fox News.

This is another common sense idea that I find hard to believe no other president has supported.
dude, this has been legal for many years in most of the USA. there are maybe a dozen hold out or simply "late" states.

What Trump should have done is deliver what he promised us
Cheaper healthcare, better healthcare, more secure healthcare, cheaper drugs.... trump lied and has instead made healthcare more costly , harder to get and has done nothing reduce drug prices...

this is just more cheerleading a man who has wholly failed his supporters and the nation. Trump promised so much and instead has simply throw a wall of money at the top 9% (most to the top 0.2%)

Old 05-30-2018, 11:22 PM

20,774 posts, read 8,615,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

What Trump should have done is deliver what he promised us Cheaper healthcare, better healthcare, more secure healthcare, cheaper drugs.... trump lied and has instead made healthcare more costly , harder to get and has done nothing reduce drug prices...
a man who has wholly failed his supporters and the nation. Trump promised so much and instead has simply throw a wall of money at the top 9% (most to the top 0.2%)
Mainstream media censors anything good Trump does which is why you think he's done nothing. Sign up on the White House website for daily email updates and subscribe to the White House youtube channel. You'll never need to watch TV news again because you will know more than the presstitutes!

Congress passes legislation, then the President signs or vetoes it. Healthcare bill lost by one vote last year due to a demented Senator.

Watch the signing ceremony because Trump talks about upcoming health bills, one which allows people to join associations to qualify for cheaper insurance. Some BigPharma companies are voluntarily reducing drug costs. There will be announcements in a few weeks.

You will see Trump (below) as you never see him on mainstream media -- warm, funny, kind to the suffering families and singling out people who worked on the bill for praise. He gives credit where credit is due.

The highlight of this video was the little boy who was smitten with Trump and whom Trump clearly took a shine to. The kid wanted a hug and got one as well as a kiss from Grandpa Trump! Children love him, if you've ever seen his rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKf5s2DKMa0

Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 PM

37,150 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It never made sense to me to have healthy people be paid to try experimental drugs. How would you know if it would help sick patients?

I had a dear relative go to Mexico, when she was dying of cancer. to try some quack treatments. Sadly this bill has come years too late for her and many, many others.
Drugs are studied on healthy subjects in the very early stage of assessing how the drug will be tolerated and such things as interactions with other drugs or food and finding the appropriate dose.

The participants in later trials have to have the condition the drug is supposed to treat. You would not test a medication for high blood pressure on someone who did not have high blood pressure, for example. Any payments are very small and just offset some of the expenses (such as travel) that are generated by multiple visits to the center that collects the data.

Cancer treatments are tested against the best available current treatment. My son participated in a trial while he was on chemo for his leukemia. The new drug he got is now a standard treatment.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 PM

37,150 posts, read 41,350,718 times
The American Society of Clinical Oncology has opposed right to try laws.

https://www.asco.org/sites/new-www.a...full+statement

"As the leading medical society for physicians involved in cancer treatment and research, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) supports access to investigational drugs outside of clinical trials when there are adequate patient protections in place. However, ASCO is concerned that existing and proposed RTT laws do not adequately protect patients, do little to facilitate patient access to such therapies, and potentially interfere with recent reforms that are already streamlining patients’ access to investigational agents."

Old 05-30-2018, 11:53 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,156,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Exactly my thoughts, but one must always be aware of 'unintended consequences'.

I found this an interesting paragraph:

"The legislation pushed by Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) and Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) would forbid the federal government from interfering with the state laws and would exempt doctors and drug companies from liability for prescribing or providing experimental drugs. It also would limit the FDA in an unprecedented way: If a patient were injured or killed by an unapproved treatment under a right-to-try law, agency officials would not be allowed to use the information to delay or block approval of the treatment."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.ebdb39dfa6d7

That language gives me some pause. It sort of sounds like the drug companies will be more open to experimenting on terminal patients; if an experimental drugs kills them, that information cannot be used against the drug?

Of course, it is my understanding that only drugs that have passed the 'initial evaluation' by the FDA may be used.

Anyway, my sympathy regarding your father's last days. When my father passed into his last illness, he quickly became comatose and then died. Many are not so fortunate.
If the Republicans passed it we can rest assured that it was written by lobbyists and that there's a huge something in it for the politicians and an equally huge downside somewhere that will nevertheless benefit the corrupt pharmaceutical companies.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:07 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,505,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Never?

What's with the absolutes?

These drugs are in clinical trial, as is.

The first state to approve a Right to Try Law was Colorado in 2014. Since then' 39 other states have enacted similar laws. This has happened in a relatively short period of time.

The FDA has a long standing policy of Expanded Access whereby a doctor and terminally ill patient can request approval to use a medication independent of the clinical trial. Reportedly, 99% of requests are approved immediately, over the phone. The prescribing MD is viewed as a satellite to the clinical trial.

The new law does not require drug manufacturers to provide medications nor for public and private insurers to pay for them.

Because the Federal Right to Try is independent of clinical trial outcomes, with no central oversight, it could lead to unverifiable anecdotal outcomes, good, bad or otherwise.

As an aside, FDA first began regulating commercial sales of medications in the early 60's as the result of an anti- morning sickness medication sold in Europe found to be the cause of profound birth defects.
Worse than that. In some cases it could void your coverage.

https://www.bna.com/taking-experimen...-n57982090684/

Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 AM

11,874 posts, read 5,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
dude, this has been legal for many years in most of the USA. there are maybe a dozen hold out or simply "late" states.

What Trump should have done is deliver what he promised us
Cheaper healthcare, better healthcare, more secure healthcare, cheaper drugs.... trump lied and has instead made healthcare more costly , harder to get and has done nothing reduce drug prices...

this is just more cheerleading a man who has wholly failed his supporters and the nation. Trump promised so much and instead has simply throw a wall of money at the top 9% (most to the top 0.2%)
I'm so sick of your anti Trump - "he hasn't done anything" - bs. I waited thru 8 years of Obama for hope and change - the change I got was losing my job - not finding another due to my age and becoming lower middle class after a lifetime of working to make something of myself. Trump has done more than any of the past presidents - no matter the party.

I live in NY and we don't have this opportunity - until this thread I had no idea we were only one of the few states that didn't have it. I'm sure you'll be a pleasure to read here for the next 6 1/2 yrs while Trump's president.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm curious to know, why was the American Cancer Society, so dead set against this.

https://www.acscan.org/releases/hous...afety-concerns

Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's so sad and pathetic that the State controls what kind of treatment a patient can receive.
Federal oversight goes back to the early 60’s. At the time pregnant women in Europe were taking a medication to prevent morning sickness. It was subsequently found to cause very serious birth defects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies