Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,580,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I love how butthurt Trumpers are about Roseanne getting axed.
Don't they also get triggered at anything "liberal" in general? Seems to me that for a bunch of people who love to play up how worthy of indignity and disrespect "sensitive" people are, they sure are pretty sensitive themselves from merely seeing displays of sensitivity. Are they actually so lacking in self-awareness that they can't even recognize the same behaviors in themselves that they negatively attribute to "snowflakes"?

Perhaps they aren't so obtuse or naïve as that. I think it's more likely that their castigations against the "sensitive" are just a rhetorical shield to deflect accountability for their own shabby behavior toward others? No doubt this is based on the notion that traditional definitions of "strength", "common sense", and general standards of sizing up a person's worth (usually held by high social dominance types) are a-OK the way they are and don't need to change. To which I say to them "Pick up a history book and learn a thing or a thousand".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM

31,937 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
No, not missing a thing.

Double standards all the way. Look at the way Obama and his thugs are treated vs. Trump or how rappers are treated compared to Rosanne. No one said life is fair, we just need to learn to work our own way through the world for the duration.
What Roseanne said was racist. And instead of our president speaking out and denouncing it....he instead made it about himself as always. We are going backwards. Racism, insults, belittling and bullying have become worse under Trump because this is what he does on a daily basis. And if our president can do it, why not his supporters. Do you not see the problem here. Why aren’t we all standing up to this. This is not how our country is

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 PM

5,789 posts, read 3,580,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I actually thought you were replying with a reasoned post to mine. I was even going to overlook you bringing up Barr, as I never mentioned her, nor even alluded to her.
I have pointed out in other threads I think she was stupid to publicly state such things, even if they were a joke, or what is in her heart. As I have said, entertainers are typically clueless compared with the general public, but think they are smart/knowledgeable because of fame. At the end of the day they, are entertainers, nothing more.
Thus they should not potentially alienate half of their audience/fans with their clueless comments.

However, when I see you post such absurd things as witches/demons/flat earth presumably as some sort of convoluted comparative analogy, it is clear you are not reasoned. Why not go back to cavemen/women while you are at it.
My span of socially unacceptable and majority thought, vs. a mere 8 or so years later deserves a much better thought out comparison, not going back to the Salem witch trials.

I will stop here to see if you can get back on track, or if the sophomoric weaksauce you shifted to was the best that you have.
Then, maybe we can get into you seeming to justify action taken against a fellow citizen, for a simple campaign contribution to a political cause.

`
Your post does have implications for the Rosanne Barr matter, whether you realize it or not.

The analogy isn't absurd. There are lots of things we discard today as bizarre that were universally accepted as true in the past. If even mainstream society could be so far in error back in the past (yes, no matter how far back into the past), then how am I supposed to trust today's mainstream society in any other matter? That is my point. I hope this clears matters up.

Calling an analogy "sophomoric weaksauce" doesn't make it so. My analogy comes from underlying facts and data that render the things sufficiently alike for comparison. Address those facts and data - i.e. the fact that even 100% agreement by the society at the time doesn't make something true, and address the GLBT issue on its own merits or demerits and tell me why mainstream traditional society is correct in the GLBT matter despite their being the majority. Also, explain to me how non-governmental players pressuring businesses to act a certain way threatens your freedom in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What Roseanne said was racist. And instead of our president speaking out and denouncing it....he instead made it about himself as always. We are going backwards. Racism, insults, belittling and bullying have become worse under Trump because this is what he does on a daily basis. And if our president can do it, why not his supporters. Do you not see the problem here. Why aren’t we all standing up to this. This is not how our country is
Yep. Soft-core disdain or trivialization for and of "others" gives cover to the REAL, Hard-Core bigots to express to express disgusting views about those "others", specifically by inviting others to say "THOSE people don't deserve access to my 'helping hands', informal information channels (aka "grapevines"), and social support that makes less difficult the day-to-day business of living." How is cutting off "undesirables" (if not outright "inferiors", "gross people", etc.) supposed to reduce society's problems?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,209,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
I've read news articles about people losing their jobs over things that they've posted online, and read how certain sites have censored users. I am definitely not an expert, but I want to make sure that I understand this, so please help me out.

The Government shall not make laws to prohibit our free speech, correct? I should be able to criticize whomever, doesn't matter if they are private citizens or public officials. I can call them a dirty whatever, but I can't threaten them with harm. I don't have the right to post to city-data, youtube, or somewhere else, if they don't like what I have to say (write), they can remove it, but the government cannot impose laws or imprison me for saying or writing criticizing statements.

Now, I'm not entitled to a job, so if I post something online, and my manager doesn't like it, they can fire me correct? If I hire someone to clean my yard, but I saw that they posted something that I didn't like, I can fire them, correct?

You can say what you want (non-threatening), you have that right, and the government can't interfere, but your employer can fire you, and websites can block you? Am I missing something?
Sure, if you're white in the first case and only if you're the same race/religion as them in the second case...

Or the liberals will have a huge hissy fit and say you're "racist" even if it has nothing to do with race. Actually, especially if its got nothing to do with race.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:47 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,208,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Pretty much sums up the 1st amendment, Freedom of speech protects society not an individual. Just as the 2nd amendment protects society by allowing a person to be armed if they choose too.

But just as in the 1st amendment someone can spout off everything that makes your blood boil, but they have the right to say it. The 2nd amendment give society the right to be armed if they choose, and also means at some point a NUTCASE will doe something horrible and kill innocent people.

Both amendments are to protect society, not the individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually both amendments protect the individual over society.

I believe both amendments secondary function enables the individual, but I believe their primary function is to Society First.

This is my understanding of the amendments. I can however be persuaded to differ to smarter people than myself on this subject

Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,632,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Our country is a result of 8 years of clinton/obama and their thugs so we are taking a needed course correction.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,313,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Don't they also get triggered at anything "liberal" in general? Seems to me that for a bunch of people who love to play up how worthy of indignity and disrespect "sensitive" people are, they sure are pretty sensitive themselves from merely seeing displays of sensitivity. Are they actually so lacking in self-awareness that they can't even recognize the same behaviors in themselves that they negatively attribute to "snowflakes"?

Perhaps they aren't so obtuse or naïve as that. I think it's more likely that their castigations against the "sensitive" are just a rhetorical shield to deflect accountability for their own shabby behavior toward others? No doubt this is based on the notion that traditional definitions of "strength", "common sense", and general standards of sizing up a person's worth (usually held by high social dominance types) are a-OK the way they are and don't need to change. To which I say to them "Pick up a history book and learn a thing or a thousand".
Wow that is some psychoanalysis. Do you examine your patients over the internet, or just imagine them in your head? Did you see the posts from Trump supporters who said they supported the firing of Barr? Scroll through the thread and learn a thing or two.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,723,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I believe both amendments secondary function enables the individual, but I believe their primary function is to Society First.

This is my understanding of the amendments. I can however be persuaded to differ to smarter people than myself on this subject

no these amendments, as well as the rest of the bill of rights with the exception of the tenth amendment, was written for the individual, not society as a whole. remember the scotus has ruled that the second amendment is an individual right, not a group right. the same can be said about the first amendment as well. these amendments do have a secondary benefit to society as a whole in that they guarantee our freedoms, but they were written with the individual in mind.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,016,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
People, mainly conservatives, just don't understand what free speech means. You are absolutely correct in saying that free speech means the government cannot stop you from speaking and can make no laws that do stop you as long as you are nt making threats to individuals. Free speech has nothing to do with the consequences of speaking stupidly and showing the world how stupid, bigoted, or racist you actually are. Thus companies that you work for can fire you for your stupid, bigoted, or racist speeches, tweets, or facebook posts.
Exactly. A person can mouth off all the racist nonsense he wants, but his company can still fire him for it, I don't have to listen to it, and I can call him a racist for it.

Freedom of speech does not protect you from consequences or guarantee you an audience.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,016,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Our country is a result of 8 years of clinton/obama and their thugs so we are taking a needed course correction.
Wrong on every level. First, you're ignoring 200+ years of history. Second, if you don't like thugs, voting for Trump - a thug in a suit - is a hilarious bad decision.

Oh, but this is more of the "liberals ruined America, whaaa!!" nonsense. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies